Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Volkswagen Golf (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/46582-volkswagen-golf.html)

Rexxar 29-12-2011 11:28 PM

Volkswagen Golf

Hey guys,

Thinking of buying the mrs a new cars sick of the magna POS, trade that shitter in.

Possibly be getting a MY11 or 12 model not a R or GTI just the base model.

Pro and Cons? Maintenance cost?
Heard they cant handle the AUS heat like Hiluxs/surfs?

cheers

huggy_b 30-12-2011 07:52 AM

Unlike a Hilux can't handle the Aust heat? Who told you that ridiculous statement?

If you start ticking an options with a VW, prepare to grab your ankles and don't expect any lube. No idea what your budget is, so it's hard to make any alternative suggestions. Obvious one though (given this forum) would be Impreza R hatchback?

GOOSE 30-12-2011 08:58 AM

I work at Wangara VW in the Used Car Department mate.

If you want i can put you onto one of the guys in New Cars?

DAN682 30-12-2011 09:15 AM

Who told you a golf can't handle the heat either?

Golf's are a brilliant car. Get DSG.

Servicing is around $400 from VW on my GT Sport TSI. The 60,000km is a clutch (DSG) inspection service so can get VERY scary (read $6000) but is VERY VERY Rare to ever need clutches in the life of the vehicle, unless launch control has been used non stop.

Check warranty history of the vehicle if you can, the Golf V had issues with a vacuum line valve fucking up and needing replacing. It is literally a piece of wire under the engine cover that needs replacing but is a cunt if it fucks up like it has twice on mine.

PRODIGY 30-12-2011 09:22 AM

I can highly recommend the Golf, i'm slightly biased obviously but this is coming from someone who owned 3 Subaru's prior to the VW. My parents bought a 90tsi the same time as i bought the R. Even the pretty base models come well equipped and they are damn nippy around town.

I think the Golf is a great all round car, hence why they win so many awards.

GOOSE is Dermot still at Wangara?

GOOSE 30-12-2011 10:34 AM

[QUOTE=PRODIGY;639783]GOOSE is Dermot still at Wangara?[/QUOTE]

Nah mate. Dermot left to go somewhere else.

Philbo 30-12-2011 10:52 AM

Slightly off topic here but any of you who own a diesel golf/jetta, my parents have a 2007 Jetta 1.9/2.0 T/Diesel and most recently its been a bitch to start in the mornings like cold cranking and stuff! Car has around 65xxxkm but has been serviced more frequently than it should of been. Any suggestions to where to look before it goes to the dealer for a shafting ?

DAN682 30-12-2011 11:26 AM

Phil, See Mat and Barbagallo's, he is no bullshit and will tell you upfront on the costs.

Ph:9587 9999
E: [email]matthew@barbagallovw.com.au[/email]

pmh 30-12-2011 12:05 PM

Recently purchased a Golf GT TSI and I'm quite impressed with it to be honest.
Not sure what you mean by can't handle the heat like a hilux, not really comparing apples with apples to start with.

Service cost is a biatch compared to the Toyota's but they are different in quality, but this is really dependent on the model you pick up at the end of the day

Rexxar 30-12-2011 12:34 PM

[QUOTE=GOOSE;639778]I work at Wangara VW in the Used Car Department mate.

If you want i can put you onto one of the guys in New Cars?[/QUOTE]

yeah I might pop down later next week on wednesday night

[QUOTE=huggy_b;639770]Unlike a Hilux can't handle the Aust heat? Who told you that ridiculous statement?

If you start ticking an options with a VW, prepare to grab your ankles and don't expect any lube. No idea what your budget is, so it's hard to make any alternative suggestions. Obvious one though (given this forum) would be Impreza R hatchback?[/QUOTE]

this was ages ago when I was looking at buying a cheap 4wd and reading few forums and what not

budget is around 25k +-2k there bouts

[QUOTE=DAN682;639782]Who told you a golf can't handle the heat either?

Golf's are a brilliant car. Get DSG.

Servicing is around $400 from VW on my GT Sport TSI. The 60,000km is a clutch (DSG) inspection service so can get VERY scary (read $6000) but is VERY VERY Rare to ever need clutches in the life of the vehicle, unless launch control has been used non stop.

Check warranty history of the vehicle if you can, the Golf V had issues with a vacuum line valve fucking up and needing replacing. It is literally a piece of wire under the engine cover that needs replacing but is a cunt if it fucks up like it has twice on mine.[/QUOTE]

some bitch on facebook... said that
apparently she works in a vw dealership and heaps of them came back with engine problems and what not

This car isn't going to be track or modded just a daily run aobut car for the mrs to and from work and occasional hwy trip up to ellenbrook

going to be a brand new car so it should be ok...