Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Fishing at kalbarri (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/46742-fishing-kalbarri.html)

damo 07-01-2012 10:08 PM

Fishing at kalbarri

Hey guys I'm heading up to kalbarri for australia day for couple nights just wondering who has any tips or spots to do some fishing,

Any tips would be great cheers
Damian

ImPreSiV 07-01-2012 10:17 PM

Jake's point, Chinamans bay for whiting (although the river has been pretty much fished out these days) Whitecarra Creek early morning (before sun up) as well...

mARC 07-01-2012 10:21 PM

Awesome thread! Will be heading there for a week on the 17th of Jan.

Is there anywhere recommended to go re: Scenery/food/drink etc?

I've also heard people bring boats as there's close locations you can fish off?

ImPreSiV 07-01-2012 10:26 PM

I used to live in Kalbarri when I was younger. Also spent 10 years doing family holidays back and fourth. I haven't been there now since I was 23ish, so in the last 5 years.

Food - you have to eat at Finlays Outdoor Fish BBQ. If it's still open (I assume it is)
- the Gilgai Tav is good for pub meals... like I said, these places all used to be good, but I haven't been in a long time! Nothing better though than catching your own fish, and cooking it up yourself! That's the Kalbarri I know and remember!

Sights - the gorges and Murchison River are awesome. We used to climb up and down the rock face as kids and swim in the river.. I've also canoed from about 80km inland up the Murchison with my Dad when I was about 12. That was good fun. If you have an interest for bushwalking, and admiring the gorges, I'd suggest spending a day checking them out. They are mostly all off Ajana-Kalbarri Rd - heading back out to the highway.

I had heard that the boat tours up the Murchison had been cut short, because the river was lacking water, but I hear it's picked up in the last couple of years, and there is more water in the river now, so maybe they are up and running again... they are supposed to be fun. Fishing charters etc if you're keen are the best, and hold on as you exit the mouth of the river.. I've seen many boats go over there!

I plan on heading up hopefully later in the year! It's been too long!

gorotsuki69 07-01-2012 10:30 PM

Abseiling tour in the gorges is worth doing. Throw some crab pots off the town jetty

mARC 07-01-2012 10:37 PM

Cheers guys, I've never been, what type of crab are caught?

damo 07-01-2012 10:52 PM

I'm guessing there is a tourist info center in kalbarri which will be able to tell us how to get to all the good spots?

ImPreSiV 07-01-2012 11:05 PM

sure is... or go to the bait shop

gorotsuki69 07-01-2012 11:05 PM

Blue manna . I'd rather ask a tackle shop for fishing advice than tourist info

damo 07-01-2012 11:11 PM

[QUOTE=gorotsuki69;641670]Blue manna . I'd rather ask a tackle shop for fishing advice than tourist info[/QUOTE]

Was more talking bout the gorges n stuff for tourist info but yeh