Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   opinions of port hedland/pilbara (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/47538-opinions-port-hedland-pilbara.html)

cutsick 21-02-2012 11:22 PM

opinions of port hedland/pilbara

hey guys i know this is a perth forum but im sure some of you would have an idea. i am in the latter stages of hopefully getting a job with bhpb up in hedland just wondering what its like there as the job is residential

tuna 21-02-2012 11:27 PM

do you have accomodation?

norwest_rumbler 21-02-2012 11:28 PM

bit like Whyalla but on a smaller scale.
can be a very enjoyable lifestyle if you like drinking, fishing, sport etc.

i grew up in Dampier, that was pretty cool and similar to PH

DAN682 21-02-2012 11:34 PM

Lived there for many years and looks like there is a possibility that I am heading back there.

I never really liked Hedland and am the first to bag it out, but as norwest_rubmler has said, if fishing drinking and sport is your game then you will love the joint.

Coons are a major problem. South Hedland was a hole but as far as I am hearing it is only half of a hole these days.

Accom is a major issue make sure this is included.

urabus 22-02-2012 12:04 AM

Any sort of a house in Hedland, Karratha, Dampier will be $2k / week.

As others have said if you decide to make a goer of it and join the tennis club, footy club et al it is not so bad. Cyclone parties are cool. Bloody hot though.

There is serious money being spent in Hedland at the moment on infrastructure.

Dont fall into the trap up there that so many do and end up spending everything you earn on toys and then you cant afford to move back down to Perth.

Brendon

norwest_rumbler 22-02-2012 12:07 AM

looks like hes from south oz anyway.

tommo 22-02-2012 12:11 AM

Its a shit hole as far as I am concerned...

Are you moving your family up there with you? if that's the case where you can earn good money and see them as well, then I suppose it can be good.. but if that is the case, where and who do you want your kids growing up around? if its not the case then make sure as people have said accom is included and if it's really worth the move.

I have done my share of mine work for the last 6 years and think that people are sacrificing a little to much for $$ atm..

your call but, all depends if you like the life style.. you may love it..

cutsick 22-02-2012 12:42 AM

im from whyalla so if its like here but smaller i can live with that, will be just myself and the gf shes in mining here, and accomodation is included, i do see it as a good way to set ourselves up, but need to get through interview before anything eventuates so we will see.

Pimpreza 22-02-2012 01:08 AM

I lived there for 3yrs about 35yrs ago working for MNM which I think is BHP now, dirty hot coon infested shithole then but the cyclones were great fun, you need to make your own fun and at the same time save like shit, but the place can get in your blood, there was a 25year club when I was there and those guys were never leaving.

huggy_b 22-02-2012 05:33 AM

Make sure you are being paid WELL. Not a fan of PH personally, but there are worse places.

As above, make sure you use the money and don't piss it up on crap or you'll be stuck in the "cycle". I travel up north and to offshore rigs locally, nationally and internationally and you see it all the time.