Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-08-2012, 07:19 AM
Subaru Tech Division

MY99GT at standard level
Default Home building & contents insurance recommendations

Hey folks,

I know you are a worldly bunch, so wanted some opinions on which house insurance to go for. I am currently with RAC which we have bundled up with my wife's car insurance - but I had a read through the policy and it seems pretty crap. There is no accidental damage cover, and nothing is covered unless it happens in the event of a storm.

Usually I wouldn't worry too much as I have never made an insurance claim in my life, but my house is a "work in progress" and we have plenty of money tied up in furnishings and household items so I want to find the best insurance possible.

Thanks,
We will remember them.

Lest we forget .
Old 28-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

Well i've only ever used 2 different H&C ones, CommInsure and Shannons. Comminsure wasn't too bad, far bit of fine print that I don't remember, but Shannons is pretty good when tied in with the car insurance as a package. Easy to deal with when we had a broken window. Same as you, we have never really needed to use it for anything, mainly it's for just in case some dolt crashes a car through the front or the roof catches fire.
Old 28-08-2012, 09:13 AM
STI Master

huggy_b knows their stuff

I've always used Allianz for home and contents...no issues and they cover accidental breakage etc.
Strubaru and MISSWRXYSTi like this.
Old 28-08-2012, 09:18 AM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

I used to have my contents insured with CGU through a broker. To cover 60k worth of contents (including a fair wack of photographic equipment) under an accidental damage policy cost me around $1100 for the past few years. A couple of months ago I got my renewal and it was over $1500. Told them to shove it.

Switched to SGIO who also have the option of an accidental damage policy and for around $1200 I have 80k worth of contents insurance. The SGIO policy seems as good as any, but that truth only ever comes out in a claim. Touch wood I don't need to report back on that...

edit: a good accidental coverage policy will cover you for items taken away from your home for a period of time and also in transit and/or when moving house.
Old 28-08-2012, 09:40 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

easytiger at standard level

Shannons as bundled with my car insurances

they are owned by suncorp which also owns the like of gio etc.
they have a 10k enthusiasts allowance which covers car stuff in your shed etc.

i previously had a bad experience with sgio home insurance regarding water damage, as they may cover the damage caused by leaking pipes but wont cover exploration & repair. jerks

but suncorp, commbank and allianz are probably regarded as the best but costs vary a bit
Old 28-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Subaru Tech Division

saturation at standard level

Have mine with AAMI, were cheapest of the lot and when the last storm came through a few years ago, no complaints in getting alarm and carpets etc all fixed up.

with a home and contents policy, speak to the insurer and ask them exactly what is home and what is contents, some fittings like lights etc, can be considered contents and not part of the home, so make sure you dont underinsure.

My house is covered like for like with AAMI.
Old 28-08-2012, 10:31 AM
Subaru Tech Division

REXXXED knows their stuff

AAMI and RAC i have been told are generally the cheapest by all my clients Michael
Old 28-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Scoobie Noobie

candtmac at standard level

I used to work for SGIO, CGU and RAC, in regards to contents give them a call and discuss what you are doing reno's etc. they will explain what is covered and what is not. You can specify what you take out of the house and what you just want covered. H&C is tricky because most insurers look at the item first, check the replacement costs and charge accordingly. Accidental damage most will slap on an additional charge but cover the items, a better way of doing it is to have a listed for the time it is out of the house and remove it when it's not. It's a loop hole that not many know about and it saves cash too.
Old 28-08-2012, 12:41 PM
STI Master

Bob at standard level

We are with HBF (who have been great) for home and contents, however their general insurance has been bought out by CGU and prices increased dramatically. All cars are now with Shannons (nothing but praise for the service). Will also be looking to move home and contents when it comes due.
Old 28-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

I am with HBF / CGU and get staff rates as my wife works for the section of HBF that was bought out by CGU (so she now works for CGU)

The best thing about my policies with them, is that I also have Personal Valuables Insurance! Worth every cent!

Tags
building, contents, home, insurance, recommendations