Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

I went from iphone to S3.

Had it 3 months exactly - back for one repair. Was not blown away by the phone no matter how much people hyped it.

Sold it, went One XL - so much better it isnt funny.

The new Nexus is also apparently fairly baller, but made by LG... quality issues maybe?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 16-11-2012, 12:49 PM

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

If I was upgrading now, I would probably go the S3 4G. But having an apple already, I know how easy the upgrade would be to an iPhone 5. Plug in and drag settings off my current iPhone and that would be all. Changing to a Samsung would be painful, but I think, worth it.
Old 16-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay View Post
The new Nexus is also apparently fairly baller, but made by LG... quality issues maybe?
Google were meant to change manufacturers each year so everyone gets a slice of the pie.

Nexus One - HTC
Nexus S - Samsung
Galaxy Nexus - Samsung
Nexus 4 - LG

(Nexus 7 - ASUS & Nexus 10 - Samsung)

Mmm pie.
Old 16-11-2012, 01:10 PM

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPreSiV View Post
If I was upgrading now, I would probably go the S3 4G. But having an apple already, I know how easy the upgrade would be to an iPhone 5. Plug in and drag settings off my current iPhone and that would be all. Changing to a Samsung would be painful, but I think, worth it.
If you have a gmail account there is nothing painful about the swap bar setting a ring tone and setting your home screens the way you want.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 19-11-2012, 10:11 AM

mARC at standard level

Thanks for the recommendations.

Had a look around and I'm tossing up between the HTC One XL and Galaxy S III.

Basic needs are e-mail etc on the go, having a decent size screen to view attachments and phone video conferencing.

As I have an iPhone it would probably be the better choice but I want something a different.

I have also heard the following regarding Android phones:

- App store has only recently started catching up to iPhone;
- There are less standards in place in relation to apps available for Android therefore more susceptible to viruses 'starting to sound a whole lot like the PC/Apple debate'.

I don't really App all that much but am looking forward to the customisation that comes with the Android OS.

Now to choose between the two.
Old 19-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

JiggyJigs at standard level

Perhaps not ideal for yourself Marc, but for others, I've just purchased a Xiaomi Mi1S from China for circa $300.

Android, dual core, blah blah. Basically similar to Samsung Galaxy S3 but not 4g compatible. Screen is somewhere between iPhone 5 and Galaxy sizing. Comes pre-loaded with MIUI.

Fantastic value for money and being android, easy to hack for say an Aussie version of MIUI (which I have done). I've also got an iPhone5 and must say that I'm neither here nor there on which is better...but the Xiaomi was 1/3 the price.

Even better still is the Xiaomi Mi2, but it is extremely difficult to get your hands on. Worth looking into, particularly if your having to buy outright or replacing a lost/broken phone.
Old 19-11-2012, 05:00 PM
Sir AntiLag

Alternate at standard level

If you're after speeeeeed (from Telstra at least) Nexus 4 doesnt come with 4g as far as i know...

If you are going to get a nexus device, and keen to have it up to date as google release it, buy it outright from google... if you buy a carrier locked one (which i did from Vodafail) you can wait months for updates...

Unless you are brave enough to flash a stock google image...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mARC View Post
Thanks for the recommendations.

Had a look around and I'm tossing up between the HTC One XL and Galaxy S III.

Basic needs are e-mail etc on the go, having a decent size screen to view attachments and phone video conferencing.

As I have an iPhone it would probably be the better choice but I want something a different.

I have also heard the following regarding Android phones:

- App store has only recently started catching up to iPhone;

- There are less standards in place in relation to apps available for Android therefore more susceptible to viruses 'starting to sound a whole lot like the PC/Apple debate'.

I don't really App all that much but am looking forward to the customisation that comes with the Android OS.

Now to choose between the two.

Android is much better for emails in relation to attachments and the sort, android apps can share between each other so attaching items, or viewing photos and sending straight to email is a breeze.

and as for viruses, same goes for browsing the internet. Dont download dodgey shite.

Tags
phone