Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Scuba (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/5283-scuba.html)

STi Tuned 21-05-2006 10:22 PM

Scuba

Any of you fellas/fella-ets into it?

Looking for recommendations on some good shore dive locations. Did the rocco/point perrion dives which were very good, where else is good?

STI-257 21-05-2006 10:39 PM

scuba

Go to horrocks In North hampton.....30 mins from geralton towards Kalbarri.
Awsome spot! snorkel out a few meters And theres crayfish everywhere :eek:

went there last week highly recommend!

Miggidy 21-05-2006 10:40 PM

esperance, beautiful hey

Mat 22-05-2006 12:08 AM

Did you do the plane wrecks in Rocko? Last time i did them, it wasnt too bad but the vis got awful within 30min.

Anywhere at Rotto (but then it doesnt become a shore dive of course after the costs involved getting to Rotto...).

Busso Jetty can be fantastic as do the jetties up around Exmouth. Theres also some spectacular spots around Esperance / Cape LeGrande / Cape Arid but then thats a massive drive and alot of those spots are really only for advanced divers.

MAAC / North beach areas are ok, although can be a little boring but if my memory serves me correct theres some nice caverns etc just to the south of the old fisheries building in Watermans.

Failing that, i know The Coombs is popular at night if you want to head to the river.

Is there a reason you only want to stay shore based? I know if you dont have a boat, its hard but it opens up a lot more ocean!

warex 22-05-2006 06:11 PM

'Boy in a boat" reef out on the end (southern) of the Hillary's marina is not a bad little jaunt if you're fairly new to scuba. You have to carry your tanks and gear out to the rocks then it's about a 35 - 40m swim out to the reef which is a big roundish reef bout 60 - 70m dia from 0m - 4 or 5m depth.

If you have a 4wd and know your way about you could go up to Eglington rocks 200m south of the Alkimoss wreck but it would be a fair swim out.

Busselton jetty is a nice easy dive with some interesting colour at night and you can make a day trip out of it. Easy night dive for newbies.

Fork out some dollars and get on a charter. Although I wouldn't touch them, Mindarie is cheap.

STi Tuned 22-05-2006 06:16 PM

[QUOTE=tasteofchaos]Go to horrocks In North hampton.....30 mins from geralton towards Kalbarri.[/QUOTE]
Thanks bud, my mate has a work car so that might be a good day trip for us.

Mat, yeah did the planes off rocco, vis wasn't too bad.. 15mtrs ish. Only reason I'm looking for shores is cost, Dive, ski & surf in freo hire the full kit for $50 so makes for a cheap day out.

But if we hired a boat is Rotto the way to go? Any web sites you can recommend?

WRC 22B 22-05-2006 06:23 PM

How many P-WRX members are divers?

Maybe their are enough divers, that we can organize a day-trip off a boat???

My friends workmate owns a dive boat in Rocko, we should be able to get a good price as a club!!!

STi Tuned 22-05-2006 08:17 PM

Warex, cheers for the locals, hillary's sounds like a good dive.

[QUOTE=WRC 22B]
Maybe their are enough divers, that we can organize a day-trip off a boat???
[/QUOTE]
Awsome Idea, me & a couple of mates would be in.

So you boys just go for the sites.. or are you catching crays & shit?

Just starting out myself, got my ticket in high school but I lost the card & didn't think I could get it back (the shop I did it at 10 years ago has long closed). But I rang paddi & a week later I had another one, so this was the fist dive in a long time... fkn loved it.

Jaded 22-05-2006 09:02 PM

[QUOTE=STi Tuned]
, Dive, ski & surf in freo hire the full kit for $50 so makes for a cheap day out.
[/QUOTE]

If you go there.. speak to Jimmy.. and say Tara sent you.. heheh he will look after you good and proper :D

STi Tuned 22-05-2006 09:50 PM

"look after you good & proper" eh... ahh... I'm not sure thats the type of special I'm after ;)

You dive or are ya just good mates with Jimmy?