Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   New Kitchen (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/52925-new-kitchen.html)

dougiefresh 07-01-2013 11:48 PM

New Kitchen

Hi Guys,

Looking at renovating our kitchen and have just started looking at IKEA or other flat pack vs custom.

Anyone have any experiences with either they can share?

Cheers
Andrew

BLUES 08-01-2013 10:57 AM

How long is a piece of string? How much do you want to spend, how much is your house worth, how long do you intend on staying, etc, etc??

My misses is currently spending the GDP of UAE designing our custom kitchen, so beware...the shit adds up very quickly.

Tony 08-01-2013 11:20 AM

IKEA kitchen suck because they are so hard to install anything electrical into as they dont leave room for cables and what not, so forget any ideas about having lights under your cupboard and stuff. Custom is good as they will measure the room and get it to fit perfectly first time, but it does cost more.

gorotsuki69 08-01-2013 11:21 AM

flat pack have set sizes and shapes so if you want something unusual or your kitchen is a wierd shape/size it may not fit. download the ikea kitchen planner to get an idea. generally the custom kitchens are better quality than flatpacks, but it depends on how much you want to spend. Just going from laminate to stone benchtop raises the price by several Gs

Raz555 08-01-2013 02:04 PM

Depends on your budget, but we got Joyce Kitchens to do our kitchen a few years ago. Was very pleased with results. We found the trademans they used to be very good, which I think is pretty important in getting a good result. Not as cheap as an IKEA kitchen, but not the most expensive around town either.

specwarop 08-01-2013 03:05 PM

I heard Kitcraft are pretty rude. Didnt seem interested at all.

dougiefresh 08-01-2013 05:52 PM

Thanks for the reply's guys, not looking at spending huge money hence why we were looking at flat pack as an option.

Raz thanks for the feedback on Joyce Kitchens - i'll give them a call and have a look at what they can do

urabus 08-01-2013 06:03 PM

We put an ikea kitchen in a rental right on 12 months ago. In my opinion it is cheap, quick and easy. You can choose modern finishes and while they dont have quite all the cool gadets and fittings that you might get with kitchen craftsmen a lot of the stuff is pretty nifty. We had to cut one cupboard down to make it fit and we went for the composite benchtop which was a monumental headache. I.e. they had to have three goes at getting it right. However Ikea just subcontract that part of it out.

12 months later we have not had any problems with it.

Brendon

98kellrs 08-01-2013 06:11 PM

Yeah fark Ikea, it takes a freakin' hour (including beer time) to put together a simple chest of drawers, would take forever and lots of swearing to do a whole kitchen. Save up and go custom.

I've been buying Ikea stuff for the last 7 years whilst renting, it looks tatty after a couple of years then you have to go to all the effort of redoing it. Go custom and get something that will last 10 years longer, for a few $$$$ more.

gorotsuki69 08-01-2013 06:44 PM

+1 for Joyce
our current kitchen was done by them. good service