Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Accommodation Recommendations - Melbourne (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/57854-accommodation-recommendations-melbourne.html)

DEDLYWEPN 25-03-2014 09:21 AM

Accommodation Recommendations - Melbourne

Hey guys,

My wife and I are looking at going to Melbourne for a few days in April, just after recommendations for nice hotels, preferably close to Federation Square/Shopping etc.

Have looked at both the Crown Metropol & Crown Promenade (not sure which is best) as well as the Grand Hyatt.

Would appreciate any insight from those of you in the know.

Cheers,
Josh

Intra 25-03-2014 12:29 PM

Price no object? :)

REXXXED 25-03-2014 12:55 PM

Both of the above Crown hotels are nice, Metropol was better, and worth the additional extra $$ in my opinion.
Crown Towers, I am yet to stay in. However might give it a crack next time.

I wouldn't stay anywhere else over there due to how temperamental the damn weather is!
Everything is in basically the same building if you need it to be and the weather is shit. Restaurants, shops etc

When the weather is good, you go venturing.

Everything is within walking distance and cabs are very easy to get when staying at the Crown as well.

JDGT05 25-03-2014 12:55 PM

Novotel on Collins street just got the full revamp, reasonably priced and smack bang in the middle of the city. Plenty of walking access to food/shops/trams.

urabus 25-03-2014 12:57 PM

I really like Crown Metropol. From memory the three levels are Promenades is the cheapest. Metropol in the middle and Crown towers is the top one.

Grand Hotel Melbourne is just across the bridge from Crown and is very nice.

In my opinion no real point staying near Fed Square. There are a few restaurants there but not a lot else really.

Really depends what your budget is. Trams are cheap and easy so don't be afraid to stay somewhere like Kew or Richmond etc as it will save some money on the accommodation and it no big deal to tram it into the city.

Brendon

REXXXED 25-03-2014 01:04 PM

[QUOTE=REXXXED;792977]Both of the above Crown hotels are nice, Metropol was better, and worth the additional extra $$ above the Promenade in my opinion.

Crown Towers (the most expensive of the 3), I am yet to stay in. However might give it a crack next time.

I wouldn't stay anywhere else over there other than the Crown, due to how temperamental the damn weather is!
Everything is in basically the same building if you need it to be and the weather turns to shit. Restaurants, shops etc

When the weather is good, you go venturing.

Everything is within walking distance from there and cabs are very easy to get when staying at the Crown as well.[/QUOTE]

Edit: I always go mid winter to watch some footy, hence why the weather is always shit. Well, that...and it is Melbourne, so it isn't uncommon for 4 seasons in 1 day!

BLUES 25-03-2014 02:51 PM

The Cullen.

It's near the corner of Chapel St & Commercial Rd - close to shops, markets, food, drink, tram & bus stops at the front of hotel, short walk to train too.

DEDLYWEPN 25-03-2014 05:12 PM

Thanks guys. At this stage, want to be in South Wharf area, so looking at either Crown Promenade or the Hilton. Anyone stayed at the Hilton there before??

BLUES 25-03-2014 05:55 PM

The Hilton South Wharf is nice. The Cullen is better.

RJ999 25-03-2014 06:51 PM

[QUOTE=DEDLYWEPN;793028]Thanks guys. At this stage, want to be in South Wharf area, so looking at either Crown Promenade or the Hilton. Anyone stayed at the Hilton there before??[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing you mean Southbank area...
South wharf area around DFO is a dead zone, and you're not within walking distance of anything.