Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   computer help. (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/6386-computer-help.html)

Hi_VoLtAgE 24-07-2006 07:21 PM

computer help.

hey guys.

i made my own computer today, everything is sweet.

my issue is after i press on button it starts for 3 seconds, fans and all working, then dies? iv checked all conection several times and the mobo says that the jumpers are set for normal use and changing them will mess things up.the HDD is sata and theres only one so no issues there, only one cd/dvd drive.ect any ideas?

do i need to do anything apon very first boot?

cheers.

chee 24-07-2006 07:24 PM

try clearing cmos. try to boot the system on bare essentials. ie. 1 stick of ram no cd drives etc.

fobz 24-07-2006 07:27 PM

How big is the power supply ? ie: If you have a 250W supply, but have a few HDD
and CD-ROM's and other crap with a top of the line motherboard then you may
be pulling too much power. Many power supplies simply shut down when overloaded.

I would expect others will come up with other ideas, check them all out. Could be
1 of many things.

Also try disconnecting things. Eg: With motherboard and video (no drives) it should
stay on but say there is no boot device. That way you can work out which device
is causing a problem. Simple process of elimination...

Another trick is to remove the graphics card and use the on board one (if you have
it). That way you can work out if its the graphics card.

Good luck..

DAN682 24-07-2006 07:35 PM

Agreed, start it with bare minimum.
Either you have something faulty or you are pulling too much power as Fobz has said.

GREXS 24-07-2006 07:37 PM

Take off all the molex connector from HDD, Floppy, CDROM. Leave only video card, memory and cpu. Take off the battery CMOS and leave it for about 2 mins. Make sure all power plug is taken off.

Then try again. If not, bring to computer store :p

[QUOTE=Hi_VoLtAgE]hey guys.

i made my own computer today, everything is sweet.

my issue is after i press on button it starts for 3 seconds, fans and all working, then dies? iv checked all conection several times and the mobo says that the jumpers are set for normal use and changing them will mess things up.the HDD is sata and theres only one so no issues there, only one cd/dvd drive.ect any ideas?

do i need to do anything apon very first boot?

cheers.[/QUOTE]

nicksrex 24-07-2006 07:42 PM

is windows installed? try changeing the order your cd/hdd are on the bus. might want to put your jumpers on cable select or master aswell. Do you know what your bios settings are aswell cos that could do it. if not as fobz said disconnect your cd drives and see how it goes

impresser 24-07-2006 07:46 PM

Damn too many computer guru's on this site :p

krazcool 24-07-2006 07:48 PM

any beeps from those crap PC Speakers during those 3 seconds it was on? If so, keep a note on the beep sequence and then search up for the beep sequence on the Internet.

Hi_VoLtAgE 24-07-2006 08:26 PM

ok thats all fixed, next issue, lol i put in the xp disk and it only boots to bios, how do i start the xp disk?

cheers for the help guys.

chee 24-07-2006 08:29 PM

change the boot sequence in bios. cd-rom must be the first item.