Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Who knows stuff about visas and the U.S.A (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/7292-who-knows-stuff-about-visas-u-s.html)

DAN682 12-09-2006 11:04 AM

Who knows stuff about visas and the U.S.A

I am looking at moving to the USA for a few years or more..

I have had a look around the net at the us.gov site etc... with green cards, the diversity lottery, the e3, and the rest but want to know if anybody knows any valuable information on actually going about getting a visa for the states.

Thanks

urabus 12-09-2006 12:00 PM

A mate of mine works for deutche bank in London and looked at going across and working in New York. The only way he could do it was if he was sponsored. In his position not a problem but he reckons that they have this extremely prohibitive thing with prepaying tax. They base your tax bill on your last two years income and you have to pay that up front or something similar. I found it very hard to believe but he was adamant about it.

Best thing would be to talk to the Embassy in Canberra.... Probably would not call them today....probably a little busy.....

Brendon

DAN682 12-09-2006 02:35 PM

Thanks for the info.
I read that it is EXTREMELLY hard for a UK Citizen to get into the U.S

I think my cousin may be able to sponsor me through his work, I just need to see.

Thanks once again for the help.

P.S looked into the whole getting married saga, you have to wait close to 5 years before you can get a visa, for the reason of the amount of people probably trying the marriage mail order route.

STi Tuned 12-09-2006 02:39 PM

No shit hu.. liked it that much.

So where do ya want to settle?

- sorry to get ot

American Dave 12-09-2006 03:06 PM

What specifically do you want to know? I spend alot of my time recruiting people for USA based jobs and vice versa. email me at [email]daveh@dtworkforce.com[/email]
cheers Dave

Bakks 12-09-2006 11:13 PM

Come back find someone marry them, sponge off them for 5 yrs, get greencard, problem solved. Haha!

stockt12 12-09-2006 11:28 PM

There are ways of getting there..

but sponsorship is the best way, plus if you are 'educated' in a field they require in the states you'll get in too.. basically bachelor degree + required skillset and blamo uncle sams your uncle.

I am a massive US fan... went there for a month this year. BUT... don't let anyone tell you it's all fucken roses. Most of the place is a fucken dump. Never take a day where you can see 10 metres in front of you for granted[for the NY travellers]

I'll be there again next year and I'm going to build a business there, but I don't know if I'll live there like I thought I would.

note - i hope some of you guys got to see jd and inxs tonight.. quality - offtopic hijack, sorry.

Bakks 12-09-2006 11:33 PM

Yeah I agree, a lot of is a fucking dump thats for sure. Land of opportunity, no chance. But a few parts are fucking awesome :)

hotrex 13-09-2006 11:42 AM

We let the scum of the earth in, yet you would have more chance of winning the lotto then getting into the U.S by the sounds of it.