Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > ECU Discussion > Other ECU Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2007, 11:43 AM
STI Master

agentorange at standard level

And VERSO can control variable cams...if I'm not mistaken...
My rhymes are stronger than ammonia
I'm a diamond, you're a cubic zirconia
Old 12-12-2007, 12:04 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

STI-257 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugzilla
Ok....as i understand it my options are

Link G3
Ecutek
Motec M800
Autronic SM4

Any recommendations ????
I believe that due to the varaible valve timing of the Sti......these are my only real options. I'm leaning towards the Link but would appreciate any feedback from you guys.
Many thanks
really depends on your level of mods...

Im running MoTeC on my bug maybe find a tuner first then decide

Last edited by STI-257; 12-12-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 14-12-2007, 07:55 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

bugzilla at standard level

Thanks guys......i've always liked the idea of the Ecutek but am now concerned at its limitations. My mods are not extreme at the moment but i guess I want to know that the Ecu i go with will handle future stuff.
In one of my other posts it was indicated that Ecutek doesn't handle bigger injectors very well......this started me doubting it as an option. At some point there's going to be a bigger turbo, bigger injectors.....blablabla......so its gotta be able to cope.
Old 14-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

I really think you need to talk to a tuner regarding what you want to do. You have a lot of misconceptions of ECUtek, don't seem to consider the cheaper Verso option (which I am currently running 816cc injectors - so you can run big injectors if needed).

Things to consider are costs and what you want to do.

Full time race car (needing all the advanced functions, datalogging etc) - Lay down $5k - $10k for a Motec.
Daily driver - Lay down $1k for a Verso
Old 14-12-2007, 08:17 AM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

Yeah there's people on here with TD06-20G's and larger with "just" a reflashed ECU by way of Verso or ECUTEK. To support these big turbo's the injectors are needed along with blah blah blah etc. If all these guys can smash in heaps of boost on big turbos, I'd imagine you could too. Give either ASG or any of the ECUTEK (RaceTorque, MMS etc) tuners a call and have a word with them on your plans.
Old 14-12-2007, 08:23 AM
coming back in 2011

Intra at standard level

As its been said many many many times before... think of the application for your circumstances before you make any rash decisions and then be locked into something you need to spend more money from.

Aftermarket ecu's are great in their own league, A limitation today with an aftermarket or standard ecu usually results in a workaround or better method later. After all tuners themselves need time to sort out issues and ECU's can't be treated as future proof.

I personally like the idea of a motec ecu controlling my car, however my car is my daily driver and motec is not specifically designed to run an 'everyday' runabout. Its main design is centred on a race environment where you're foot flat into a corner or drag strip. However you can spend the time to get it to a point where it "behaves" like a mass produced standard unit.

The standard unit is designed to run the car in an everyday environment and will try to self preserve the life of the engine under all circumstances (mainly around different batches of fuel and environmental conditions). This is the main reason why the standard ecu does “knock correction” unlike a motec which expects the car to be tuned to the point of perfection and win the race!

That said motec does have the ability to have "compensations" to help with these issues also, but it does not change its underlying design timeline.

Issues with larger injectors with standard units are purely in my eyes an issue for the tuner. This is why you should always “talk” to the tuner and get their experience on which route you should take.

It also helps to choose injectors which publish their "dwell" time (aka Dead time / Latency) as these help the tuner calculate the rate of injection into a gasoline engine. As you can imagine, the voltage output from an automobile is not a typical static 12v, its anywhere from 11-15 volts. For every change in voltage this will also change the injection time for your given injector also.

Last edited by Intra; 14-12-2007 at 08:29 AM.
Old 14-12-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato
I really think you need to talk to a tuner regarding what you want to do. You have a lot of misconceptions of ECUtek, don't seem to consider the cheaper Verso option (which I am currently running 816cc injectors - so you can run big injectors if needed).

Things to consider are costs and what you want to do.

Full time race car (needing all the advanced functions, datalogging etc) - Lay down $5k - $10k for a Motec.
Daily driver - Lay down $1k for a Verso
Sorry dude but I don't know how Verso relates to Ecutek.....ignorance on my part i'm afraid
Old 14-12-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phizzle
Yeah there's people on here with TD06-20G's and larger with "just" a reflashed ECU by way of Verso or ECUTEK. To support these big turbo's the injectors are needed along with blah blah blah etc. If all these guys can smash in heaps of boost on big turbos, I'd imagine you could too. Give either ASG or any of the ECUTEK (RaceTorque, MMS etc) tuners a call and have a word with them on your plans.
I guess I was detered by my other Thread......the responses to whether Ecutek can handle bigger injectors etc were not very heartening. I'm more than happy to eplore it further on these recommendations. Many thanks.
Old 14-12-2007, 09:20 PM

Many thanks for all your help guys......gunna be chatting to some tuners very very soon.

Tags
bugeye, ecu, recommendations, sti