Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > ECU Discussion > Other ECU Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Sir AntiLag

Sethi3 at standard level
Default ECU tuning a stock WRX?

Has anyone performed an ECU tune on a fully stock WRX?

I do know the ECU tunes can improve power and fuel consumption on fully stock cars without the need to change parts so I'm wondering if this applies for the WRX and so if anyone has done it and what's your experience with it?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Subaru Tech Division

REXXXED knows their stuff

Will be helpful if you advise what model?

MY00 and below cannot be tuned at all on the stock ECU...
MY01 and over can, and im sure that tuning a completely stock WRX would net a touch more torque and KW, and probably fuel ecoonomy as well.

But the question remains why? Even in the diesel 4x4 world, if you get your car tuned generally you would want a high flow exhaust to match with it to let the car breath a little better.

Same goes here. If you are forking out over a grand just to have the car tuned (verso or similar) why not spend a tad extra, get the exhaust done, get the rumble everyone wants, and get even more power out of the tune which remains the same cost?

Sam
Old 10-11-2011, 05:29 PM
STI Master

RXqME at standard level

maybe manual boost controller would be a better way to go if its only stock, but yeh depends what model you got!
Old 10-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXqME View Post
maybe manual boost controller would be a better way to go if its only stock, but yeh depends what model you got!
More power yes, less fuel consumption likely
Old 10-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Sir AntiLag

Sethi3 at standard level

Haven't bought a WRX yet, just looking around for what I could do to my future WRX. Looking to get a peanut WRX (02 - 04).

The reason why I don't want to a high flow exhaust is the noise it'll make (or am I being completely naive here about high flow exhausts?). I am aware I can buy silencers for exhausts but that'll just mean more $$$. I'm trying to find out if it's worth performing an ECU tune on a stock car at the moment.

A side note, I'm a tool noob when it comes to car mods.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:45 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Tad curious, why dont you want the noise??

There are a few alternate methods to have the best of both worlds, best you explain why you dont want noise, then ill give you an answer.

Q: Dont want the noise when you leave early or get home late? but want it everywhere else
A: Get a varex exhaust XForce. Performance Mufflers, Exhaust Systems & Accessories. About the Varex™ remote controlled Sports muffler.

Q: Want a high flow exhaust but not a heap of noise
A: HKS USA Silent Hi-Power Exhaust or 3 inch TBE with Stock STI tip
Old 10-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Spending all the money on the tune just seem's pointless to me without a couple of other little things, as the exhaust will restrict a LOT of flow.

You havent even purchased the car yet. Believe me a stock WRX is plenty fast and plenty fuel efficient (when you want it to be)
Old 10-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Sir AntiLag

Sethi3 at standard level

I'm not a fan of those noisy exhausts that's why. I'm not looking to mod my car a whole lot as well, looking to get an ECU tune (if it's worth it) to squeeze abit more powah and fuel economy and get good tyres.

But from what I take it, it's not worth it to get it done on a fully stock WRX?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Can you do it: yes

Is it worth it: imo, yes. Cleans up the map, better fuel economy, more response etc. You will get gains, but nothing close to the gains of a full 3" system. However with the stock TD04 on a WRX, I think most would be suprised how close you would get.

Personally if noise is a concern look for Japanese spec JASMA approved exhausts. Normally a 2.5" diameter and are not loud, but flow better than a stock system. I'm a big fan of stealth these days and run a HKS Legamax on my Evo. Loses a few kw compared to a louder system, but sounds close to stock.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Sir AntiLag

Sethi3 at standard level

What is a TD04?

I might look into one of these Japanese spec JASMA approved exhausts but doubt I'll get one as I'm not a fan of modding cars.

Thanks for all the info guys!

Tags
ecu, stock, tuning, wrx