Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Photography and Media (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/photography-media/)
-   -   Canon warranty repair - Troubles and experiences. (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/photography-media/16758-canon-warranty-repair-troubles-experiences.html)

vyper 04-12-2007 08:35 PM

Canon warranty repair - Troubles and experiences.

Hi all,

After trying to take a photo at parklife, my camera's LCD flickered and completely died. It still takes photos and the camera works fine, but nothing will display on the screen.

After taking it to Canon for warranty repairs (which expires in 3 wks - sigh!), they have claimed it to have corrosion and hence wont repair it under warranty. How, I am not sure. It has never been near the water, suffered a liquid spill or kept in a humid environment.

Any ideas what could be the real problem? How are canon with warranty? Looks to me like they are trying to buy time to avoid a warranty job. Useless bunch of cunts.

Cheers.
Luca.

Mat 04-12-2007 11:23 PM

When my DSLR was broken before i said anything they were on the back foot triying to lay the blame on me...

However in my case it was probably fair (since it was human stupidity not manufactures dodgy work). They fixed it properly and i was happy with the service (especially from the people at Ozzy Park) but i didnt here anything for about 2-3weeks when it arrived in sydney. Got it back after paying for the repairs about 4 weeks later...

I suppose had i needed it it would have been a PITA but since its another toy gathering dust on the shelf...

nang3 05-12-2007 07:01 AM

unfortunately most warranty claims end up similarly - the company tries everything in its power to get out of paying anything or losing potential repair fees... almost everything ive ever tried getting fixed under warranty has been a battle to get fixed for free!!!
Everything except a raymond weil watch i purchased recently which needed new a new sapphire face, was done under warranty no questions asked..

keep on at them and make sure you get everything in writing with the date on it so in 3 weeks and 1 day they cant say "now we cant do anything cause its out of warranty" etc..

Pimpreza 05-12-2007 08:51 AM

I had a similar problem with a cannon video camera a few years ago, I took it via ship to Bali, ship was aircon & cool & dry inside, took it outside into the heat & humidity & it completely fogged up on the inside, mic stopped working & it was never the same but they blamed it on rust, so there is more than one way to get a camera wet on the inside......cold car-hot day-wet...... I read through the instructions & they actually warned about this & how to stop it happening.

Darken 05-12-2007 10:46 AM

Throw a wobbly in the service dept and demand they fix it... U know you didn't dip it in any water so stand by that!!!