Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Photography and Media
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Subaru Tech Division

pete gopal at standard level
Default Shooting Weddings

I'm starting too many threads lately but this one (i think) deserves a fresh new page. I'm shooting my first paid wedding next month and basically need some tips. There are a few of you who do it profesionally so please help me out.

In the bag (5d mkII, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8IS).

The wedding will start at 4pm, church wedding, after wedding photos (whatever day light left) at heathcot and some reception pics.

Buying the 580 EX II (never used it so a massive learning curve), should i get some diffusers/reflectors? Main concern is those after church photos. The sky will be bright enough but do i use fill flash to light up the faces or is reflector the way to go?

New toy has arrived, 1/4 mile in 11.2 sec and only 114hp!
Old 22-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Subaru Tech Division

TopGear at standard level

I havnt shot a wedding I would wanna have two bodies so I can shoot two lenses without changing, you cant really tell people to stop while you change, I think flash with a diffuser would be better then trying to use a reflector (interfer too much) maybe someone whos shot wedding before can shed light here, I think flash for fill light would be best when needed expose for background let flash fill shooting in shade with flash fill might help you get softer light, all depends what shots your trying to get sun behind subject or sun in front, I would just read blogs etc of other wedding photogs and see what they have done.
Old 23-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Maybe you should go to where the girls are getting ready before the wedding and get some casual shots of them in the room playing with each others hair and getting their make up etc done?
Old 23-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Subaru Tech Division

pete gopal at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabus
Maybe you should go to where the girls are getting ready before the wedding and get some casual shots of them in the room playing with each others hair and getting their make up etc done?
love the professional advice there!

New toy has arrived, 1/4 mile in 11.2 sec and only 114hp!
Old 23-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Sir AntiLag

Doms1 at standard level

Not sure, but NVRENUF is very clued up with photography stuff, maybe he can give you some pointers?
Old 23-03-2009, 11:48 AM
STI Master

slappy at standard level

Get in some practice with the 580exii before the wedding. This will sound weird but you have to build up trust in the flash so that you know what its going to do and when somethings not right you know what the likely cause is.

I shoot in manual and set the shutter to around 1/160 - 1/200 and then adjust the aperture or ISO according to the available light keeping an eye on the light meter in the view finder. The light meter looks at the available light and doesn't take into account what the flash is doing.

You need to try and use as much ambient light as possible so you dont get the deer in the headlights look where the background dies out to black. ie use higher iso, wider apertures to try and keep the background light enough (in the light meter in view finder) and then the flash just has to provide a little bit to properly expose the subjects.

If there is a low-ish roof around use it to bounce off and pull out the white bounce card from the 580exii to ping some light forward to bring out details in faces. You can bounce off walls etc too. If there is nothing to bounce off point the flash straight at the people. If you are shooting wide (14-30mm) and straight at people use the built in diffuser. Dont use the diffuser and bounce card at same time obviously.

I have tried gary phong light spheres and stoffen caps but I find I get best results just using the bounce card. Also get yourself at least two sets of good Japanese rechargeable batteries. They recycle faster, last longer and don't get hot like disposable ones. I carry 3 sets of Sanyo Eneloops which you can get from digital revs ebay shop for about $48 for 2 sets of 4. Bit more for set + charger.

Its good to experiment a bit too because the 580exii is an awesome flash and can light a whole ballroom with the right settings and a light coloured ceiling to bounce off. I was working a gig where the ballroom was so dark I couldn't get a shot even at ISO 1600/f2.8/1/60sec with the ambient light so I set the flash to manual 1/1 (full power) and aimed it at the roof and viola, its quite a powerful flash.

Hope that helps, there is so much to learn, I have shot around 40 events now and I'm still learning. You pretty much have the ideal kit for this job though!

Last edited by slappy; 23-03-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 23-03-2009, 12:03 PM
coming back in 2011

Intra at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabus
Should they break out the pillows and start a feather fight, you'll be prepared
Old 23-03-2009, 12:33 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

nang3 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intra
Should they break out the pillows and start a feather fight, you'll be prepared
beat me to it !!
Old 23-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Flat Four Father

NVRENUF at standard level

I have done Couple weddings now and that equipment is perfect,
the second wedding i did use two flash's off camera on tripods.

Even when out doors good idea to use the flash. Helps will fill on people faces etc, Make sure you have the flash and spare batterys for it

Is the two weddings i did.

Shooting another wedding in QLD in August
hopefully will have second body 5d mk2 by then
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvrenuf...7604110978499/

Last edited by NVRENUF; 23-03-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 23-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Sign me up!
From one V8 to another!

jasonmurray at standard level

Were you shooting a wedding on Saturday Tim?

If not, you have a twin!!!

TEAM オレンジ

Dyno queen

Tags
shooting, weddings