Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Photography and Media
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2014, 03:20 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Top work. The Jaguar came out especially nice. What was the location/background on that shot?
Old 08-09-2014, 03:28 PM
STI Master

98kellrs at standard level

Well I've been a bit bored this winter, so the Jag was an impromptu snap taken in Leederville in the pouring rain...I wanted to test some new processing techniques. T'was shot on my little A6000 w/ kit lens too, definitely remember why I love FF bodies now! The big camera is too heavy though for general daily use.

Loved the lines of the F-type, I even walked back to my car in the rain and got the camera out especially

TROLLEY, Tiigga and dnbosiris like this.

Last edited by 98kellrs; 08-09-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:35 PM
STI Master

This one is definitely one I want to re-process, I'm just not sure which direction to go. I really liked the location, and the angle...but it's missing something?

mARC and STIMUL8IN like this.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:59 PM
STI Master

dnbosiris at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98kellrs View Post
. T'was shot on my little A6000 w/ kit lens
How good is it? I love this camera!
Old 08-09-2014, 04:15 PM
STI Master

I'm really liking what Sony have done with their new range. A couple of my pro-photography idols have started using the A7R but the A6000 is a really solid performer.

I haven't had much chance to test out the sensor or the processor fully yet but for quick daytime snaps it's great! I'm using it to go back to basics so I've bought some old 70's and 80's manual focus, manual aperture lenses to use on it.
dnbosiris likes this.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:57 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Calis at standard level

So you went from Canon, to the Nikon D800 then a Sony ? Why if you don't mind me asking ?

I never shot cars before, only moving F1 cars years ago but for me, the red brake light is either too uneven and/or too distracting. Is that one strobe ? There's a lack of depth maybe a second strobe on 1/8 will show more of the lines. Just my opinion, no need to listen of course
Old 09-09-2014, 07:12 AM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
So you went from Canon, to the Nikon D800 then a Sony ? Why if you don't mind me asking ?

I never shot cars before, only moving F1 cars years ago but for me, the red brake light is either too uneven and/or too distracting. Is that one strobe ? There's a lack of depth maybe a second strobe on 1/8 will show more of the lines. Just my opinion, no need to listen of course
The Canon 600D was my first 'proper' camera. Used it for years and it was a really strong performer. Eventually as I needed more from my camera I decided to make the move to full-frame.

At the time the options were 5Dmk3, 6D, D800 or D600. Read heaps of reviews, did some comparisons myself and for my purpose and especially given how much I like to edit my photos the D800 was the obvious winner by a country mile. I wasn't impressed with either the 5D3 or the 6D and actually was really disappointed in both to be honest. (Especially as I already had some nice L glass that I'd invested in)

Fast forward another couple of years and I decided that I needed a small camera to use daily and also to 'scope out' new locations for shoots. My phone camera isn't anywhere near good enough, and my regular point and shoot also didn't fit the bill. I'd been quite impressed by Sony's new Alpha line, and seeing the work produced using these tiny mirrorless systems decided it was worth a punt. I've still got the D800, and I will always use that for my photoshoots, but the Sony really is a neat bit of kit. If they can keep their R&D going with future models I reckon the DSLR's days are seriously numbered.

Thanks for the cc, it's about 8 frames combined using a lightpainting technique because I don't have a big enough light modifier to shoot a black car with strobes. The M4 that I'm shooting soon though is Alpine White, so I'll definitely be using at least 3 strobes on that. I'll play with that image and tone the reds down and see what I can do with the background. I think I was so focussed on the front edge of the car I kinda just ignored the background and didn't play with it too much.

It's all a learning experience, so feel free to be as harsh as you like with your comments, it's all valuable feedback :
Calis and dnbosiris like this.

Last edited by 98kellrs; 09-09-2014 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:39 AM
Sir AntiLag

STIMUL8IN at standard level
Send a message via Skype™ to STIMUL8IN

LOVE your work Ryan! I don't get enough time to properly play with the techniques, but I've tried to do a similar shoot with my own car. Need more practice...

If I had to say anything about the shot above, it would be about the reflection on the windscreen, it stands out a bit too much IMO. Either make it smaller, or continue it along the roof and bonnet (not sure if you have other shots to use where you did those sections?). But that's just being real picky, I think it looks awesome as is
[CENTER]My other passion - facebook.com/[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=dimgray][B]JamieWebsterPhotography[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
Old 09-09-2014, 12:09 PM
STI Master

Yeah I agree about the windscreen reflection, I hadn't thought of it before but now you mention it..! Thanks

To be quite honest there is a lot of trial and error involved with this method which is why I'd like to use my strobes a lot more.

I'm also trying to find an affordable way of tethering my iPad to the camera to view the images in a bigger size as I shoot them.

Last edited by 98kellrs; 09-09-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Calis at standard level

Live view via laptop

Have you tried Breezesys ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOoRsi6pGg4

Last edited by Calis; 09-09-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Tags
car, perth, photography, photos, rskphotographyperth.com, ryan, thread