Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Stock ECU Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/stock-ecu-discussion/)
-   -   Piggy Back Systems (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/stock-ecu-discussion/13501-piggy-back-systems.html)

SPEC IV 03-07-2007 07:53 AM

Piggy Back Systems

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=5]Can anyone suggest a good piggy back unit for the stock ECU??[/SIZE] :confused:
Cheers,[/FONT]

nauli 03-07-2007 08:01 AM

Best to replace the whole ECU...depending on budget, but second hand ones come up on various forums from time to time.
In order of pricing...Link...Autronic...MoTec...
Personally I would go the middle option.

agentorange 03-07-2007 08:19 AM

Piggy back ECU's that I have seen people on here use are UniChip or Haltech.

You can have my UniChip with boost controll module for $450 if you like! I have it on my 02 STi at the moment and I have got 272HP on 1.3bar...got the dynograph to prove it as well.

Hmmmm, judging by your name(evo4clubspec) you will need a UniChip pre dating mine...

Hi_VoLtAgE 03-07-2007 10:22 AM

wounld need unichip type a, disreguard pm.

chee 03-07-2007 10:26 AM

get a power fc

Strubaru 03-07-2007 10:35 AM

i have a unichip on my gt forester, goes great, there is only one place in perth to get it installed & tuned though (tim slako at west racing in ozzy park) cost me about $550 for install & tune, i wanted more boost than he tuned it for so it cost me another $200 for that

as others had said i wished i'd gone down the power fc road with a z32 afm now for flexiblity of tuners

don't get me wrong i'm happy with it and it runs great (approx 180kw atw) with a vf-22 on 16-17psi with all the usual basic mods like zorst, cai etc
but i'll have to sell it & get a pfc if i change the eng internals / heads & go for more boost

hope this helps

harlz21 03-07-2007 10:40 AM

helps me :)

Hi_VoLtAgE 03-07-2007 10:42 AM

[QUOTE=agentorange]Piggy back ECU's that I have seen people on here use are UniChip or Haltech. [/QUOTE]

haltech are stand alone. microtech your thinking of?

Strubaru 03-07-2007 10:45 AM

[QUOTE=Hi_VoLtAgE]haltech are stand alone. microtech your thinking of?[/QUOTE]

i think you have it the wrong way round, my mate is contantly hounding me to get a microtech stand alone system (he's a rotary head) i think rigoli's use the microtech over east on thier fully bombed rex's

BALISTC 03-07-2007 10:47 AM

Power FC

pmh 03-07-2007 10:54 AM

you can get haltech piggy back, its called the interceptor.
aaron (check the tuners' thread) does the tuning on that

SPEC IV 15-07-2007 10:08 AM

thanks for all the advice guys....budget a little tight at the moment so i'll travel down the piggy back for now and upgrade when the cash is flowing a little better :D

POLARBEAR666 15-07-2007 10:38 AM

POWER FC FTW... cheap and awesome.

Elrico 15-07-2007 11:31 AM

[QUOTE=POLARBEAR666]POWER FC FTW... cheap and awesome.[/QUOTE]

AAAHHMEN. Speak thy trooth brother! HA-LA-LOO-YA

SCOOTER 15-07-2007 07:13 PM

I almost bought a second hand Unichip, but went with the Link in the end. You will need a type A Unichip and should be able to pick a second hand one up from someone on here for around $400. And yes, definately use Tim Slako to tune it.

Scott.

mr_psi 15-07-2007 07:22 PM

if you want piggy back get a unichip... however, if ya got the cash and ya wanna do the right thing by your car a second hand powerfc would be ideal

Elrico 15-07-2007 07:27 PM

A Brand new PowerFC goes for $920 to your door step. A second hand one will obviosuly be cheaper, and hopfully might be picked up for $700-800. When you think about it, For a stand alone ECU, its only a few hundred more then a piggyback system, but has better resolutionm,parameters etc.

[url]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=11127[/url]

Eric

rexhunta 06-10-2007 02:08 PM

Also try Greddy Emanage.. definite piggyback.

Ran one on my S13, worked a treat.. Shaun at Allstar, and Hyperdrive tune them.. can get full 2nd hand units with fuel and ignition timing harnesses for under 300.

Pete

tuna 06-10-2007 04:04 PM

f-con ?

rexhunta 06-10-2007 05:05 PM

is x-speed still tuning them ?

mrclubspecevo4 23-10-2007 11:52 AM

if you are still in the market Darren, save the pennies and get the better ecu rather than fork out for the unichip and lose money on it when selling. I run a link and it works fine for my application.
I have heard good things about the power-fc so that would be a good option aswell.

What type of ecu upgrade you do will depend on two things:
1. what you intend to do in terms of perforance (street, track, etc)/ the features you want (anti-lag, launch control, data logging)
2. how much you want to spend

I wanted better street performance with some motorsport use, had no intention of running anti-lag etc.

I opted for a Link ecu which was supplied and tuned by Maximum Motorsport. all up it cost me $1300 drive away. At that time a unichip was quoted at around $1100 and second hand they were $750. Also, the tuner options may dictate which way you go as to who you trust with your car.

you know you want a link, that will make 4 x club sec 4's with links. :icon_supe

anyone would think it was a factory item

wild_rx 23-10-2007 09:00 PM

Hijack

ok Hijacking thread:

ive been reading through the ECU threads and now im confused! :confused:

Im planning on doing this sometime in the next 6 months(some things done):

STI/Pocess West TMIC
Walbro Pump
Full exhaust
Tune

what im not sure about is the tune, i was going to go a power fc and z32 AFM. but after speaking to eric on sunday he said that when changing gears the car jerks, and that ASG had told him that it was the AFM. so this kind of put me off the power fc a bit and was just wondering what else i should look at that is not $2800.

i plan on using the car on a few track days and AHG days so dont really want the jerking (will also make uncomfortable as a daily driver).

just looking for opinions and advice pls!

also what does PNP stand for???

thanks in advance

Kato 24-10-2007 07:12 AM

PNP = Plug n Play. I.e. not a hardwire kit, it plugs straight in.

Interesting comment on the jerkiness due to AFM. Maybe call ASG and ask their opinion on what to do?

mrclubspecevo4 24-10-2007 08:06 AM

not that I am an expert but at one point (prior to my dyno tune) the car was uncomfortable sitting at a particular rev point. It used to feel jerky (as in it was saying go on, sink the boot in).
I think that most tuners (mine included) manage to tune this out, it is just a matter of giving them the feedback. I also think that this power fc and z32 afm idea has come from th nissan boys who regularly upgrade a skyline with the z32 afm. Yes there are technical aspects to it but that is for another day.

The link can run well and make good power within your budget and with your given mods. I would investigate the g3 link if possible as it is a lot better in general than the older models. That way you don't need an afm.