Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Stock ECU Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/stock-ecu-discussion/)
-   -   vf34 and fmic on std ecu? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/stock-ecu-discussion/26147-vf34-fmic-std-engine-control-unit.html)

scoobygez 19-04-2009 04:46 PM

vf34 and fmic on std ecu?

I guessing/presumeing that i would get away witha fmic on amy99wrx with out having a re-map

what i mean is do the aussie ecus runas rich as the uk ecus from factory?

but will i get away witha vf34 as well or am i asking for trouble??

if so can these ecu's be ecotek like the uk or will i have to for a verso/autronice route??
and how much would that cost??

just wanna find this out before i ring the guy with the blue wrx and make a offer as i think i will go with that now...

RichX 19-04-2009 04:54 PM

Eric runs a 34 on a FMIC on GC8, i run a STi TMIC with waterspray on a GD and we're making pretty much identicle pwr/trq.

Can you Verso a GC8? I think not. FMIC/Turbo mods are always going to benefit from a good tune, regardless of ECU i think. It might go alright with the std ecu, but to get the most from it you'll need aftermarket ECU options as you've mentioned, Autronic/PowerFC etc etc.

If i were buying it i would be a little worried about the AFR's.

scoobygez 19-04-2009 04:58 PM

thats what i am saying wil it run lean, way too much when on boost or will the stock ecu just about cope??

i supose i could fit a knocklink but i dont know of many poeple who have fitted a vf34 to a classic and not had a re-map......

RichX 19-04-2009 05:02 PM

If i was buying a GC8 with a 34/205/FMIC .. First thing i'd be doing would be wacking it on the dyno to see where i stand.

If the AFR's were all over the place and shit didn't look good an aftermarket ECU would have to go in and iron it all out so you've got a nice clean tune which is safe for the motor.

A 34/FMIC/205 will go good, no doubt about that, you'd just wanna be sure that it's got the an uprated fuel pump/injectors (duty cycle) to ensure it's not running lean etc.

scoobygez 19-04-2009 05:05 PM

yeah it has a walbro pump and i thought/think the 440s (yellow tops) are upto it easily arent they??

so what would i be looking at for a re-map i presume say rms can re-map the std ecu??

RichX 19-04-2009 05:09 PM

Not sure on that one - I'm sure some of the GC8 boys will be able to give you the heads up on that one, although i haven't seen many GC8's re-mapping the OE-ECU around here, so i suspect an aftermarket ECU will be required to ensure it's all tuned up correctly.

It might be running alright on the stock ECU but a good tune will not only ensure safety to the motor but also make it so that it's not a big hit of boost and then it falls down towards the redline which it what tends to happen on untuned cars with mods with no tune.

A tune will smooth it all out so you're getting max power all the way through while running at a safe AFR. I'd expect around 180/200awkw on a 34 tuned up on a 205 around 18-20psi.

reflexwrx 19-04-2009 05:11 PM

You can't tune the 99 WRX. All mods will cause it to run poorly and end up damaging the engine. I made this mistake and blew mine up! You need to use fuel management system to cope with any mods. Air filter and exhaust would be just about all i would do to a WRX running standard computer

reflexwrx 19-04-2009 05:12 PM

Definitely can't tune stock GC8 ECU

scoobygez 19-04-2009 05:13 PM

yeah i know nice one :) :)

yeah been told the ecu's over here cant be re-mapped (my99/00) already too just dont understand why though, coz all we all do in the uk is re-map the std ecu with ecutek 3 and jobs done its only when we go past 400hp we start looking for aftermarket ecu's well on the my99 onwards anyway :) :)

reflexwrx 19-04-2009 05:15 PM

Yeah, not too sure exactly why but I was in the same situation as you and ended up spending a fair bit doing fuel management. You then have the cost of a tune after any mods you do. A tune is around 600