Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > ECU Discussion > Stock ECU Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Scoobie Noobie

whiskers at standard level

The XPT map is a a US company who makes a map for a ADM 01 WRX (my car) with all my mods except the higher CR. It cost just under $100, has been tuned for aust fuel, has great reviews and i believe would be a better starting point than a free US map. It uses my same stock ECU

I am hoping i only have to 'butcher' the timing/noost tables which means paying $100 for the other fine tuned tables.

Rossco, didnt know STI used ej207, i thought it was just in the auto legacys, ill have to research that and have a look at the stock maps compared to mine.

Jungleboy, way ahead of you.. i have been logging/learningveiw for months now. Just after a ecu reset, i have record fuel correction being max 5% out only in the lower ranges and maximum reduced timing -2.11 at around 2000rpm only never at higher RPM. (timing is probably abit high in lower rpms) I thought this meant serious knocking so i took it to a tuner and with his ecutek software old me its all fine and not to worry about it. Since then, the ECU has learnt and i am running max 3% fuel correction and maybe -1, -0.7 correction in the same lower range.

If the ecu shows max 3%ish fuel correction now with the stock map and with my engine in i cant see how a tuned map (given i follow the intake requirements exactly) would change it. Therefore proving the high flow heads/higher CR doesn't throw off my fuel correct? So i shouldnt need to mess with the A/F or MAF tables.. correct? lol

I havnt done any tuning, i would like to learn tho and i am the kind of guy who likes to research every option before making a step. Hence reading everything related and asking other with more knowledge than me your guys!! lol
Old 06-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

nothing is fine tuned via the internet.

safety for the masses from factory, or its plain guesswork from a email tune.

you should also never touch the 'a/f tables' unless you have wideband monitoring the results.

the stock ecu, narrow band is not an accurate data source for a/f ratios

Long live the WRC
Old 06-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Agreed on all points.

However if the intake side is the same as the off the shelf map specs, the a/f tables shouldnt need to be changed. So the only tables needed to be changed are the timing/boost which i can play with untill i record no knocking from romraider correct? It would be nice to check the A/F ratio with a wideband once i am done but not necessary, correct?
Old 06-08-2010, 08:10 PM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

i wouldnt count the 'knocking' on the rom raider as fool proof. you can run an engine lean or too rich without 'dangerous' knock detected, hence a/f ratios are always important. no tuner works without one.

remember the ecu calculates the knock threshold mathmatically for a factory environmental tune.

work the open loop before you concentrate on closed looped corrections.

Long live the WRC
Old 07-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

01 bugeye Sti has the 207 too.
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 07-08-2010, 09:02 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

jungleboy at standard level

Your learning view data is good, as long as it's not pulling greater than 2 degrees all the time that's ok. If that's the case and your IAM is 16 then your ECU sounds happy to me.

But I honestly think you would be better off getting a local tune on a dyno as they can get more out of the car compared to an internet tune, which would be more conservative (I would hope). Plus you get the piece of mind that the tune is safe for your engine setup, as every engine will be slightly different. Oh and you can't forget the fact you get a dyno sheet at the end too!!!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Yay a dyno sheet lol yeh i am thinking a dyno tune might be the right path, especially if this RPW place can do a under $500 tune. Btw whats the advantage of paying an extra $500 for a verso tune if they can opensource tune your car for much less. Do verso give the tuner more options? or somehow get more power from your car? they would only be changing like 4 tables right? (a/f,MAF,timing,boost)

Also if this opensource tune costs $500ish is the next cheapest tune a Verso tune for $1000ish?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers View Post
Yay a dyno sheet lol yeh i am thinking a dyno tune might be the right path, especially if this RPW place can do a under $500 tune. Btw whats the advantage of paying an extra $500 for a verso tune if they can opensource tune your car for much less. Do verso give the tuner more options? or somehow get more power from your car? they would only be changing like 4 tables right? (a/f,MAF,timing,boost)

Also if this opensource tune costs $500ish is the next cheapest tune a Verso tune for $1000ish?
RPW tune almost exclusively Mitsubishis. I would say he has done less than 10 open source tunes on Subarus.

ASG have "Verso" which is essentialy an open source tune with custom interface and some developemnt. They have been open source tuning Subarus for probably 5 years and would have done many hundreds of cars. Yes, the software itself is free, but you are paying for the dyno time and the years of experience the tuner has.

The difference of $500 is really fuckall in the grand scheme of things. You musn't have heard the modifiers saying:

You can have a car that is cheap, fast and reliable. Choose two options.
Old 14-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Thanks for the help everyone, as you all have been saying your not paying for a 'tune' like a exhaust and if you shop around you can find it cheaper elsewhere, your paying for the tuners time. So if your paying for someones time for an extra $500 you get someone who knows subarus and can get the best tune. Theres no choice really lol So i booked into all star garage for a verso tune in 2 weeks!! CANT WAIT!!

BTW 2day i put on a 3" TBE exhaust system, if i just cruize around untill my tune keeping the revs/boost lowish it shouldnt do any damage right? Also i was thinking ill wait untill closer to the tune untill i put the K&N filter in correct? its only going to mess with the MAF and its easy to put in.

Tags
compression, engine, high, tune