Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > ECU Discussion > Stock ECU Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Scoobie Noobie

whiskers at standard level
Default How to tune for a High Compression Engine

Hi all,

I wanted to buy an off the shelf XPT map for my MY01 WRX. The only trouble is my engine, a EJ208 longblock (9:1 compression ratio, not usual 8:1) (out of a 03 legacy B4 GT )

I can match all the XPT requirements except my higher compression engine. So which tables would i need to modify in the XPT rom to A: create a safe/low performace map, B: create a maximum performance /safe map

my GUESS.. is: please correct if i am wrong
A (safe ): reduce boost from 18psi to 16psi max, then log knocking and reduce timing in thoes areas

B(perforance): As above then.... not sure.... maybe increase boost, increase timing back again and watch for knocking?

Would any other tables need to be changed?

Any help is great

Thanks
sam
Old 30-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Sign me up!
Why stop at two bar?

tuna is a gurutuna is a guru

higher compression EJ205Y's just run reduced boost from factory

Long live the WRC
Old 30-07-2010, 09:30 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

jungleboy at standard level

I always thought raising compression required running reduced timing.

I would start by zeroing out the max wastegate duty cycle table so you run wastegate boost and log rpm, load and knock sum as a minimum. Let it idle first to get an idea of how much timing you need to take out, if any. Then when you feel comfortable with that, repeat the same thing for the cruising cells and work your way up to the higher loads.
Old 31-07-2010, 03:34 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

The 208 is 276 bhp stock, same as a GC sti.
What heads are you running? the 208 one's or ??

Run stock boost and slowly increment the boost & watch the knock.
There will be a happy medium between boost, knock & timing....You just need to find it!
[CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Built Ej207: Semi-closed RA Cases - Wiseco Forgies - Manley rods - BC 272 cams - GDA Heads - billet f/whl - Vi-pec - WbO2 - 800cc Yellow tops - TD05-20G - 409Hp ath @ 1.75bar on E85[/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 31-07-2010, 03:40 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

If your interested, I just quickly compared the ADM 01 WRX fatory tune against the 03 liberty gt tune and the liberty runs a lot less timing and boost compared to the wrx. In the order of 5-18 degrees less timing everywhere and about 4 psi less boost.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Haha, i knew perthwrx was the right place to ask my question!!

Thanks for comparing the maps, i wanted to myself but couldnt find the stock legacy map.So roughly ill be hoping to run 5ish psi less and 5-18timing less than the stock XPT WRX map?

As for the power, 276 bhp stock sounds about right if i was using all the legacy parts. However i am just using the EJ208 longblock (includes the high flow heads) and everything else (eg turbo, intercooler..) is stock wrx. Since i am playing with different heads will i need to rescale MAF? or is the change so small the ECU will deal with it.

So Jungleboy, plan of attack... Run the 8psi wastegate boost, first idle- check for knock and if so reduce timing. Then log crusing 2000-4000rpm (under different loads)- check for knocks and if so reduce timing. Then log 4000-6000rpm(under different loads)- check for knocks and if so reduce timing. Once this is completed increase boost to 10psi and repeat as above. Then increase to 15psi and repeat (XPT map runs at 18psi max, is 15psi max too much?) I am guessing i could push boost as high as i wanted, i would just have to reduce timing a lot lol. Since i am mainly after a everyday day car i should try to keep timing as high as possible with stock boost (15psi ) correct?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Curious why you want to load up a generic flash map that isn't made for your mods, requiring you to change it all?

If you are skilled enough to make the correct changes, why not start from scratch?

Changing boost, pulling timing, MAF scaling etc without wideband AFR measurements and logging of knock just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:19 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

You won't need to change the MAF scaling if you are still using the stock airbox. Changing heads won't effect your fueling as the MAF sensor accounts for any increase in flow.

I think a better approach would be to start with the liberty timing maps. This will require a bit of maths as the number of columns and rows available are different.

Also from memory the liberty has some AVCS tables, so I'm guessing you have left this unplugged.

Stock subaru maps are available here
Old 02-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Scoobie Noobie

your asking the right question there Kato but thats what i need to know. If i have to start playing with too many tables why not just start from scratch as you said. If all i have to change is boost and timing tables i dont really mind paying a little for the other well tuned tables, fuel, MAF..

Anyways gettin a tuned legacy map, now thats an idea. Doesnt that mean ill have to play with all the turbo tables then? since i have a single WRX turbo not the twin and MAF since intake piping will be different. What i need is a WRX tuned map and a legacy tuned map and use some tables from both lol Also the reason i have a 03 is that its the last year legacys do NOT have AVC that way it was a easy fit into my 01 WRX.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:36 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

I'm not 100% here (I have only been studying Evo's for the past year)...

But what ECU do you have? I assume you are using OpenECU, so do you have all the correct definition files made up yet? Do you have a wideband O2 sensor as a minimum? Got a knock amp?

Have you looked at things like:
- Hi/Low Octane Maps
- Open/Closed Loop
- Injector scaling/latency (if changed)
- Boost control (3port)
- Cam tuning

Basically what I am saying, have you looked at the whole tuning process with a stock ECU and are you going to acheive the gains you want copying and pasting from a multitude of sources. Could save you a few bucks, but things could go bang if AFR's and Knock aren't checked.

Or you could visit one of the friendly Perth workshops who do this daily and 'drive in / drive out'.

Tags
compression, engine, high, tune