Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Stock ECU Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/stock-ecu-discussion/)
-   -   MINES Computer GC8 92-96 (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/stock-ecu-discussion/46510-mines-computer-gc8-92-96-a.html)

macmillionare 22-12-2011 07:16 PM

MINES Computer GC8 92-96

1 Attachment(s)
Calling all ECU geniuses,

Came across this ECU online the other day and i'm finding it hard to do research as I don't really know enough about them to put any specs together. The only real detail is it's an early type 4 pin harness.

I have a ADM version 2 WRX with an EJ20G running a TD05, mods currently are aftermarket alloy TMIC along with BOV and CAI, the usual poor mans mods... :p Looking to get an ultrex exhaust with headers in the new year.

Has anyone come across one of these before, and if so,
Will it work with my setup, does anyone know how to tune these, what sort of power gain will I achieve, and with there be any disadvantages e.g. blowing my shit onto the tarmac.

Any details would be extremely helpful! :)

Mister Two 22-12-2011 07:24 PM

I had one of these a few years back. If i remember right it was setup to run 16psi. Never dynoed it with that ECU though. Much better down low rpm than the OEM ECU too.

macmillionare 22-12-2011 07:28 PM

sound's positive.. :p any issues with running 16psi on a stock motor? is it possible to wind up/down the boost setting at all?

What would you expect one to be worth these days?

Mister Two 22-12-2011 07:36 PM

You'll only be able to adjust the boost levels with an aftermarket boost controller.

I was able to run 17psi safely. At 18psi it would begin to ping. So I just left it at 16 for safety. Its designed to run on the stock 380cc injectors. And they can easily be maxxed out with a stock WRX td05. I had it running on a vf28.

They typically sell for around $200-300.

macmillionare 22-12-2011 07:44 PM

I think I may have just found my xmas present for myself then! Is it just plug and go with the stock harness or will I need to modify things to fit? and is getting a tune recommended once fitted?

I would install while the zorst is going in.

Mister Two 22-12-2011 07:53 PM

Plug and play. No tuning.

Its just a flashed ROM chip on the ECU board anyway.

If you wanted to get a customised tune to suit your car specifically... Buy a Power FC.

macmillionare 22-12-2011 07:58 PM

If i win lotto on saturday i will :D at this stage i'm really going for value and a stable robust engine, not too much fussed about pushing unreasonable HP! :D

After doing a bit of research, I've found out it's quite an aggressive ignition mapping and needs a minimum of 100 octane? also it has no rev limiter, how did you get around those obstacles?

Intra 23-12-2011 07:25 AM

If its the model im thinking of 94 -95 era..

The board will have a socket for a 27C1028 EEPROM which is getting pretty rare these days..

You'll need a EEPROM programmer , data logging software and a good understanding of assembly if you want to do some funky stuff with it. There are some general maps you can play with (fuel, timing, boost, wastegate & limits) however it takes a while to pre-program, install, dyno, test, erase eeprom, re-program, test & dyno etc etc etc..

Its been a while, i think the last time Sean and I did one of these type of ROM's was back in 2009.

96 -97 models also use a add on daughter board directly wired into the ECU, i suspect that its communicating via the BDM port or SCI ports.

johnvk7 23-12-2011 07:52 AM

[QUOTE=macmillionare;638452]If i win lotto on saturday i will :D at this stage i'm really going for value and a stable robust engine, not too much fussed about pushing unreasonable HP! :D

After doing a bit of research, I've found out it's quite an aggressive ignition mapping and needs a minimum of 100 octane? also it has no rev limiter, how did you get around those obstacles?[/QUOTE]

This would be the main issue I would have thought, the Jap fuel is better then ours, and it would be tuned for that. It will plug in though.
Its a bit like buying a S204 or similar and needing to retune for Aussie fuel.

macmillionare 23-12-2011 08:46 AM

Is there anyone able to tune one of these well in Perth?