Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Stock ECU Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/stock-ecu-discussion/)
-   -   EcuTek vs Verso vs OpenECU (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/stock-ecu-discussion/54317-ecutek-vs-verso-vs-openecu.html)

RJ999 26-04-2013 03:05 PM

EcuTek vs Verso vs OpenECU

I'm probably going to open a can of worms but here goes.

Thinking of giving my 06-07 STI a tune with the stock ECU.

I'm considering EcuTek or Verso or OpenECU...Which one to get?

I've been reading some mixed reviews about ecutek on the forums (Jaron's/Pigsti!) and sounds scary but then there's millions of good reviews too. EcuTek will lock me into using only EcuTek tuners whereas Verso and OpenECU won't. Also that same review and comments made on the tuner(MMS/RT).

I've heard that OpenECU isn't realtime, so make changes start the car dyno see how it goes, if any problem stop and make changes again...bit risky...so it's out of the equation as I'll stick to Verso or EcuTek.

Ecutek Tuner options are MaxMS or RaceTorque (please tell me if any others)
There is also Tokyo Motorsports but they seem geared towards Evo's only.
Race performance works in osborne park for ecutek or verso- RPW does all of them, your choice, but they're the ones who told me about OpenECU (hmmm alarm bell!)...

Ecutek tune is $1500

Verso Tuner options are Evolution R or Allstar garage...I've been hearing great things about ASG so will probably stick to them if I choose verso.

I believe it's around 1000-1200 for the Verso tune.

Anyone has some comments on the tuner I should use or the software?
Also am I getting ripped off for what I've been quoted for the initial tune?

Also I know that with EcuTek you don't lose your engine management features such as cold start and warnings etc..and subaru can plug in the OBD and read normal engine fault codes...Is this the same with Verso?

Oh and it's for tuning a stock STi with a stock STi exhaust, is there a point in doing so? or should I first do the exhaust along with the fuel pump, then save up for the tune?
Really can't decide, not sure which way to do it, and worried that if I wait too long between the exhaust/pump job and the tune it may damage the engine.

HELP...Subi Newbie :confused:

SyncSubaru 26-04-2013 03:26 PM

A tune is always a good idea, you can have the efficiency increased as the factory tunes have to be set at a level that is going to be safe for every single car produced on that same production line (Because in reality, every motor will be ever-so-slightly different).

That being said, I dont think an exhaust and fuel pump will be likely to do a great deal of damage (if any at all), but definately look at it once those things are installed.

I would say save up a little longer, have the one place do all 3 things at the same time. Then you can be certain! Drive in and Drive out is always good.

s20525xxx 26-04-2013 03:29 PM

Liam@RT tuned mine, works very well, much better than previous one.

But Mao offers blitz Dual Solenoid electronic boost controller with two boost setting for $1100. Just like betty's SI drive. Very tempting.

mitchwnz 26-04-2013 03:40 PM

^^ I'm curious why you would even bother with a two boost setting? It's Sports Sharp with full boost or GTFO! :p

EXPLICIT 26-04-2013 03:42 PM

Choose tuner first.

RJ999 26-04-2013 03:47 PM

[QUOTE=EXPLICIT;750269]Choose tuner first.[/QUOTE]

Recommendation?

RJ999 26-04-2013 03:51 PM

[QUOTE=s20525xxx;750267]Liam@RT tuned mine, works very well, much better than previous one.

But Mao offers blitz Dual Solenoid electronic boost controller with two boost setting for $1100. Just like betty's SI drive. Very tempting.[/QUOTE]

You've got an EcuTek'd car from what I see?

Also what happened to the tune price on the post...cheers for the tip, i know where to go to get a more cost effective Verso now :D

No point getting a boost controller...full boost 24/7 or nothing.

pmh 26-04-2013 03:59 PM

Speak to all tuners, then balance this put by the various feedback ppl have provided here on the forum

They are all open source tuning
Ecutek is a licensed tune
What asg and Mao offers don't have a license

A tune is only as good as the tuners knowledge and experience
And a dyno,tune is a must

Save all mods and do the tune once
Pointless to go back and forth when you bolt bits and bobs on

drewgong 26-04-2013 04:35 PM

same car here man, my open source tune has been fine.. well, more than fine.. fricken awes! chuck a tbe on first or youll just pay for a retune later and the gains will be much higher.. prob wouldnt even bother with the pump as your injectors would be fairly maxed out anyways. but if you have a list of mods planned as long as your arm then by means go all out!

STIMUL8IN 26-04-2013 05:17 PM

In my brief experience, Sean at ASG is excellent, very happy with my tune. However everything else at ASG is very average. I now go to RaceTorque for all servicing etc, much better service & quality. Just my opinion, PM if you want more details.