Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Stock ECU Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/stock-ecu-discussion/)
-   -   Tune/boost curve (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/stock-ecu-discussion/56023-tune-boost-curve.html)

nick73 25-09-2013 05:40 PM

Tune/boost curve

Recently had a TBE/tune/Grimmspeed 3port BCS on my 10'STI otherwise stock engine bay. I am happy with the way the car drives and it performed well at the track on the weekend.

It was at my request that the tuner bring the boost on early to give the car a stronger mid-range which it definitely does have now. As he brought the boost on earlier and earlier the boost then started to wander up a bit till it peaks at 1.38 bar ( the target was 1.3 bar).

My question is in regards to the boost curve climbing later in the rpm's rather than holding flat-ish and tapering away like most other dyno plots I've seen.
Tuner didn't seem concerned when I queried it.

I was wondering what other peoples opinions are. Am I concerned about nothing or does this look like it needs a re-tune?

Link to my build thread as the attachment manager wont let me upload the pic in a new thread.

Cheers.

[url]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=11442&d=1379593768[/url]

Rossco 25-09-2013 11:24 PM

Speak with the tuner - no one here is gonna know all the factors involved in your tune apart from the guy that did your maps.

P.s your boost tapers sharply at 4500 rpm

nick73 26-09-2013 08:05 AM

Thanks Rossco.

RedMY01Owen 27-09-2013 07:56 AM

[QUOTE=nick73;772584]It was at my request that the tuner bring the boost on early to give the car a stronger mid-range which it definitely does have now. As he brought the boost on earlier and earlier the boost then started to wander up a bit till it peaks at 1.38 bar ( the target was 1.3 bar).[/QUOTE]

If the tuner is aggressive with the spool up (as requested by you) there is likely to be some overshoot once you get the car off the dyno, conditions in the real world can change drastically and this will affect the performance of your car.

[QUOTE=nick73;772584]My question is in regards to the boost curve climbing later in the rpm's rather than holding flat-ish and tapering away like most other dyno plots I've seen.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you're talking about here, the boost clearly drops at 4500rpm and then tapers all the way to redline.

nick73 27-09-2013 08:28 AM

^ Yeah I didn't explain my question clearly enough in the post. I was asking about how the boost climbs quickly at 3700-ish and then falls away rapidly as you guys have pointed out..

I'm guessing if it tapered away a bit slower I may have gained a couple of extra hp in the higher rpm's.
I will live with it for now, the idea of a 2+ hours round trip and more $$ isn't grabbing me.
I'll get it re-tuned if I change anything else engine wise.

Cheers.

RUSSGT 27-09-2013 09:12 AM

Tune curve looks alright to me mate.

johnvk7 11-10-2013 08:08 PM

[QUOTE=RUSSGT;772816]Tune curve looks alright to me mate.[/QUOTE]

Yep, the actual power and torque curves look ok.
The MAP reading is a bit all over the place. The question is, how does it drive?
Are you happy with it?

nick73 11-10-2013 08:28 PM

Yeah happy for sure. It drives great the midrange feels strong which is what I wanted. I guess I just expected more for the psi it is pushing, but it is stock. I'm just greedy and want a bit more up top.
Fat pig is going on a diet shortly.

RoughStilin 11-10-2013 10:47 PM

PSI is only a measured restriction of manifold airflow that cannot easily flow through your engine due to poor volumetric efficiency. More pressure does not always mean more power, as you need to flow the air through the engine. Putting more boost in, essentially just heats up the intake charge putting more load on the inter cooler & in some cases losing power & or causing potential damage to the engine.