Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Articles > Subaru Related
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Article Tools Display Modes
Old 27-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Perth WRX RSS Post Engine

rss.feed at standard level
Lightbulb Roomy interior space

Continuing from last week, we bring you excerpts from the column “How did the Subaru R-2 challenge mini limits?” This week, we read about the interior. One can sense the feel of the times in the dialogue between Q and A.*

?Roomy interior space

Q Now I have heard the general facts concerning performance, I think it is time to go for a run in the car and see how it feels. Incidentally, you mentioned that the Subaru R-2’s second feature was its roomy interior. Just how much room does it have?

A It’s hard to describe roominess but I have some interesting data for you. The interior effective length, which is the distance from the pedals to the backrest of the rear seat, is the longest among light cars. Even among cars of the 1,000 cc class, some models have shorter interior effective length than the Subaru R-2.

Q I see. But it’s still hard to visualize.

A OK, let’s start from actually getting into the car. First of all, the door is large. It is more than 1 meter wide.

Q Also, there are no triangular windows, so visibility is not obstructed.

A Hey, don’t go too far off track. You sit down in the driver’s seat. As the seat position can be adjusted out of eight stages by sliding along rails, choose the best driving position for you. Sit so that you can hold the steering wheel with your arms stretched out straight, and also give yourself plenty of room to operate the pedals. There is also an armrest on the door. The rear seat can comfortably sit two people with plenty of leg room. When you actually get in the car, it’s surprising how much room there is. In addition, there is a trunk.

Q That’s convenient for taking long-distance drives. How are safety features such as safety belts and headrests?

A Safety belts and headrests are fitted as standard to the driver’s seat and the passenger seat in all models. Safety features such as emergency signals are also fully fitted. Another noteworthy feature of the Subaru R-2 is that, in addition to the secondary safety measures, the car has been actively designed with safety in mind to ensure that it doesn’t have any accidents.

Q Specifically, what does that entail?*

A First of all, there is the running stability that I mentioned at the start. Stable running performance at high speeds, and excellent handling are important factors that contribute to safe driving. Safety is also incorporated into the body design since the body is robust and the gasoline tank is stored underneath the rear seat totally apart from the engine room. A third point is that the inner lock system is adopted in doors, and there are countless other safety features.

Q I see. So in that respect the Subaru R-2 really does challenge the limitations of mini cars. I really want to take it for a spin.

A Now it’s my turn to ask a question. What do you think about the styling?

Q Overall I think it has an adult mood. It is both cool and refined. I suppose you could call it a “styling revolution” in the field of light cars.*

A *Thank you very much.

Q Finally, I would like to ask one more question. How do you see the future of the Subaru 360?

A Thank you for asking. We intend to continue producing the Subaru 360. It would seem pretty heartless to sudden cease production of such an original vehicle.

Q Thank you for coming today.

(The above contents were excerpted from “Subaru Vol. 54.”)

More...

Tags
interior, roomy, space