Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Wanted (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/wanted/)
-   -   2nd hand window relay (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/wanted/48419-2nd-hand-window-relay.html)

Spect8 10-04-2012 01:32 PM

2nd hand window relay

Hey,
Just wondering if anyone has had any experience in replacing the drivers side window relay? My 2005 Wrx clubspec 8 drivers window has stopped working half open. I have attempted to replace the switches, but it still doesn't work which makes me think it's the motor..

A quote from Subaru of $700 for a newie is quite rediculous, so will be chasing a second hand motor- does anyone have any suggestions to help narrow it down?
Much appreciated!

Simone

GX-REX 10-04-2012 01:54 PM

Take off the trim and you will see a 2 pin plug going to the regulator. Supply power directly to the regulator and if it won't move, it's dead.
Not looked at your year but normally this plug is green.

Kato 10-04-2012 01:58 PM

On my old MY05, it wasn't the motor but the whole switch assembly which needed to be replaced.

Try a wreckers. JWS etc.

ImPreSiV 10-04-2012 02:16 PM

Hi _________,

Welcome to Perth-WRX. Seeing as though this is the introduction part of the forum, why don't you introduce yourself first, before asking us questions.

Welcome to Perth-WRX

Thread moved

Spect8 10-04-2012 02:32 PM

[QUOTE=GX-REX;668046]Take off the trim and you will see a 2 pin plug going to the regulator. Supply power directly to the regulator and if it won't move, it's dead.
Not looked at your year but normally this plug is green.[/QUOTE]

Ok, thanks man. I'll give it a go. Do you mean just turn the switch on and look for it to try? And yes, the plugs green. :)
Thanks guys.

Simone.

Spect8 12-04-2012 02:38 AM

Thanks for the welcome - I assumed the mini intro I gave was enough to go on. I have previously had an account under the name moet, however no longer have that email address so thought it'd be easiest to start a new account as I needed urgent advice.
Currently driving a 2005 clubspec8 rexy, its champagne gold with charcoal rims. :)

Finally have successfully removed and replaced the motor for the drivers side window - This job was not fun or easy -however most of the work was done by my boyfriend, so I cant complain ;)

However, there is still an underlying problem. The motor worked fine as we tested it before we put the door back together. Once we put the door back on I tried to open the window and the switch clicked down and up several times, it took a while for the window to respond. The previous motor did a similar thing before it burnt itself out.. I am hoping someone electronically minded might be able to shed some light on this?

Pimpreza 12-04-2012 04:52 PM

Switch is shorting by the sound of it, take the door trim off again and get 2 wires from a 12v battery and put one each in the green plug after you un-couple it on the motor side of the wiring and see if it moves freely up and down, reverse the wires in the plug to get it to go the other way.