Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Wanted (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/wanted/)
-   -   Brant system for MY99 (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/wanted/62291-brant-system-my99.html)

westoz 21-07-2015 09:58 PM

Brant system for MY99

Anyone out there, of the many owners looking to go to an Autowatch or other aftermarket system, who is looking to offload their Brant on the cheap?

I know that many on here have disillusions with the Brant, but now being in my 2nd MY99, I had zero issues with the retrofitted Brant on the 1st one, which I owned for 12 years.

My current MY99 had the Brant, but was removed by the former owner and he didn't replace it with anything else. Since everything is (hopefully) still in place, I am looking at filling the hole in the console again by the original Brant.

Budget is tight, and freebies would be most welcome (I'll pay postage)... any out there?

westoz 24-07-2015 08:47 PM

Bump...Anyone?

Or should I go for an Autowatch or something else myself? Would really prefer a Brant to replace what had already been in the car from scratch... I believe the wiring is still in place, so hopefully just a re-hookup from the keypad forward is needed.

Suggestions or advice are welcome.

fobz 26-07-2015 08:29 PM

[QUOTE=westoz;827326]Bump...Anyone?

Or should I go for an Autowatch or something else myself? Would really prefer a Brant to replace what had already been in the car from scratch... I believe the wiring is still in place, so hopefully just a re-hookup from the keypad forward is needed.

Suggestions or advice are welcome.[/QUOTE]

Don't put the brant back in. As you say "wiring is still in place". The same
wiring that was in my car... that I reckon everyone has seen... the same
wiring that most thieves could get around in under 2 minutes.

Put something different in, then wiring is not the same as every other WRX out there. Hey... build your own ;)

westoz 26-07-2015 08:42 PM

Hmmm.. okay.

I'll save up the pennies and get an aftermarket instead.

What's the recommended system these days, with budget in mind?

Would DIY be an option for someone who is only half tech savvy? Ie good installation manuals, especially model-specific?

dnbosiris 26-07-2015 08:52 PM

i currently have a brant in my 02 sti and i can't wait to have it ripped out and something new put in. had brant issues with my previous sti as well. you may have been lucky with your last one. not fun when you're stuck at the side of the road with a completely dead car.

fobz 26-07-2015 09:10 PM

[QUOTE=westoz;827492]
Would DIY be an option for someone who is only half tech savvy? Ie good installation manuals, especially model-specific?[/QUOTE]

The DIY way sort of has 2 options:

1) Buy aftermarket, and install it yourself. I recommend this for any sort of security device, unless you trust the installer with your first born. I have this uneasy thought that if I let someone else do it, then some random person knows exactly what's in my car and how to get around it.

2) The much harder option: Build it from scratch yourself... but unless you know what an LM2940 is, understand designing circuit boards and opto-isolation then this is not the route for you.

Something with a keypad like the brant is always a good idea so if they get your keys, they don't automatically have your car.