Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Update time.

06 STi DCCD 6 speed box (3.54 ratio) is in, with Jim Berry organic clutch and an early 2-way 3.54 rear diff & shafts. Thanks to the guys on this forum and the boys at STechnic for the parts and advice.
So far the combo feels a bit unstable & angry, but hoping a DCCD controller will pull things into line a bit. After this goes in, I think the car will be just about where I want it mechanically.

Paint & panel is pretty rough but it's going to stay that way for now. I want to see some seat time with new drive-line before investing any more in the car.
dtrally, astralex, Tiigga and 1 others like this.
Old 21-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

With the upgraded rear 24mm sway bar and HD links, the bar snapped off the standard mounts.

Fitted a whiteline 24mm HD mount kit. The drivers side mount bolts were a bitch to get to because the fuel filler pipe was in the way. The job took a bit of patience!

Looks good now though.

Before and after:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByPerth-WRX1385004837.448067.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	11702
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByPerth-WRX1385004849.733699.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	11703
davidsdh and Patch like this.

Last edited by Jezza; 21-11-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Been doing a few more track events. The A050s are amazing.

Occasionally on a hot day after a few laps, my intake temps rise quite high due to heat soak of the TMIC. Need to sort the waterspray. I have a tank from a wagon with the dual pumps, now just got the feelers out for the nozzles and I/C sprayer button. Not as urgent now that it is colder weather though.

At the track last weekend, car was puffing a bit of smoke. From a bit of an inspection, it appeared as though it was suffering from blow by.

Pulled off the TMIC at home, and what do you know...

Used my day off to install my catch can I've been holding onto for a while now; will see how good it works.

As it is a 4 port model, I have plumbed it into the PCV valve and then off the crankcase breathers.

Will need to get some better pics up soon to show how I plumbed it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jezza For This Useful Post:
Brett Allan (01-07-2014)
Old 02-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Strubaru knows their stuff

good bit of kit the old hyperflow 4 port
RUSSGT likes this.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:23 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RUSSGT is a guruRUSSGT is a guru

Agreed! Best catch can!

http://kap.industries/
Old 16-01-2015, 01:16 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Quick update. Got a bit stupid at the EOYB with the WRX club, ended up breaking a CV joint on the rear shaft. Was trying to get it sideways with the r-comps on the skidpan.... never again!

Here's a quick snap of the brief enjoyment that was had: http://youtu.be/4_kE8VxY9kc

Car is now back on the road thanks to the boys at STechnic. Also got a couple of spare shafts that I will take with me to future events.

This year I will probably look to get a harness and harness bar in the car, and see what happens. Going on a big trip to the USA in June/July, so most of the spare funds will be going towards that for now.

Still yet to get the Vipec waterspray sorted, but will no doubt be dealt with quickly with a visit to ASG.

I should also add that my 'overheating issues' are actually fuel surge issues. I have sourced a cheap surge tank through a fellow member, but will still need to section off the boot properly and find some decent fuel lines and fittings to rig it up with.

Last edited by Jezza; 16-01-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:50 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Here's another update on the car.
Have spent some money getting the suspension and tyres set up properly for competitive club use. At the same time, I have removed the rear seats and seat belts.
John Fowler worked his magic, giving me about 3 degrees camber in the front and 2 in the rear, with some castor to help it handle corners. The car is becoming quite an animal on the track.
I threw some new slotted rotors on with a set of new QFM A1RM pads, and used a recent Barbs night to run them in. To my surprise, they are suddenly quite noisy and were sparking quite significantly on heavy braking - hopefully this is just temporary!
The new rotors (RDA slotted) are actually a downgrade on what I had on there (DBA4000), so will have to see how they turn out.

With less than a month until I head out of the country, I don't think the car will see much more work or events for a couple of months, but who knows!

Priorities for the car for this year are already changing; with the fuel system and harness (maybe half cage) becoming a new focus.
Really tempted by E85 now, it may become a reality later in the year!
SolarFilms likes this.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:55 AM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Update from the last post.

The RDA slotted rotors that went in March this year... were cracked down in Collie. Didn't even have a lip or anything on them, just couldn't take the heat.
Hoping to have some DBA 5000 on there soon.

Still having high engine temp issues on hot days at the track, with the Vipec limiting revs and pulling the car back.
In the new year I visit Sean and Doug and see what can be done to resolve this.

The new Forza pads are amazing, definitely a step up from A1RM, though a bit more $$

Currently abandoned fuel system plans as I think I will move more towards an external PW surge tank for more safety.

Still no harness or cage yet, but harness is certainly still on the cards.
Patch, nick73, Dan [GTI] and 1 others like this.
Old 24-07-2016, 10:38 AM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Another 6 month update.

Not a lot has happened. After the last few events, the more bitey pads have thrashed the cheap OEM/standard rotors. Had some bad brake fade on the track, had to pull out of an event.

OEM rotors cannot handle race temps or conditions...

Need to get some DBA 4000 back on there as a minimum.

Temp issue has not been resolved yet either due to the cooler weather... will need to remember it for summer

Car has been hard parked for a few months due to lack of events entered... with RAC shut down and me changing jobs again, I just haven't got into it.

Started the car up the other day to find a massive exhaust leak somewhere pre-turbo.
Have ordered a set of Kando headers off eBay, will hopefully get them next week.

Have owned this car for over 8 years now. Quite the journey, love the GC8.
TROLLEY, Dan [GTI] and Rslib72 like this.
Old 11-10-2016, 06:26 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

Fitted a pair of DBA4000S a couple of months ago, brakes seem happy again.

Got the headers. Kando from ebay. Stechnic installed, seemed to run a bit leaner so got the car into Sean at ASG for a retune.

Picked up about 15hp from the headers and a bit more midrange-topend.
My 4yr old VF34 is starting to lose it's responsiveness but nothing major.

Also got the air con removed and water spray set up to control air temps in summer.
Hoping the removal of AC condenser gives the radiator a bit more air flow on warmer track days. Otherwise its a lower temp thermostat and a koyo rad...

Next event is Collie at the end of this month and honestly can't wait. It's been a while since my last event and I am itching to get some seat time. Hoping to get some more sprints in this summer too.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 11.10.16 dyno headers.pdf (250.6 KB, 22 views)
nick73, Dan [GTI], zver333 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Jezza; 11-10-2016 at 06:27 PM.

Tags
afm, failure, jezza, my00, wrx