Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Your Driveway (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/your-driveway/)
-   -   Matt's MY05 WRX! (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/your-driveway/42711-matts-my05-wrx.html)

WRXMatt 08-06-2011 02:20 PM

Matt's MY05 WRX!

4 Attachment(s)
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]So I took the big leap and sold my R33 Skyline... Moved on to a 2004 MY05 WRX! Have had it for around 6 months now and still love it! Worked out to be exactly what I was looking for, as it has the peanut shape but also has the hawk eye style interior.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Been going for drives into the hills and just cruising around as much as I can. Haven’t been on any cruises yet, but keen! The car drives great and goes very well! It has a few mods and im hoping to get more very shortly! [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]The car came with the 3 inch exhaust system and the king springs. The centre muffler in the exhaust seems to be broken (if I tap on it, it sounds like an empty Milo tin) and makes a gay noise when the car revs up (rattles between 3000 and 4500 revs). Looks like it was made somewhere and they didn’t use any brackets or anything, it hangs super low lol. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I have a slight small dent in the boot, which im keen to get removed. Hopefully I can get someone to remove the dent without any issues.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]I will put up new Pics and info as I mod the car :icon_tong[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman] Should be getting a new exhaust in the next few weeks. Will post up pics of the install and a video showing the sound. :D[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Mods at the moment: [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]STI Intercooler[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]3 Inch Turbo Back Exhaust[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Apexi Panel Filter[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Verso Tune – 16psi[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Airbox Silencer Mod (Cut the bottom section off and sealed it up)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]GFB Pulley System[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Low King Springs[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Short Shift Gear Stick [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]3 x Glowshift Gauges[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]DVD Deck[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Angry Birds Sticker lol[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Mods I wanna get shortly:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Cobb Air Intake[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Cobb Air Intake Box[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]New 3inch Exhaust System – Thinking Ultrex or HKS Hi-Power[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]STI Spoiler[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Stuff I need to do:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]New Diff Oil[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]New Gearbox Oil (Thinking Redline Shock Proof, but not 100% sure, will Redline Shock proof make the gearbox last longer? Like better protection? Or not?.... lol)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Rear Brake Pads[/SIZE][/FONT]

Brett Allan 08-06-2011 02:27 PM

Welcome matt, looks a very clean ride you have there, especially with the angry birds sticker, it is good for roughly +10Kw. :P mods look good, but to answer your question, the shockproof gearbox oil will make the gearbox last longer because (someone will correct me if I am wrong in my understanding) but it slows down the gear changed due to being thicker and therefore reduces the wear on the internal parts like synchros etc. Look at getting a cold air intake, this also makes an awesome noice :D

Best of luck with future modding/cruising

and welcome again

Brett :)

Kato 08-06-2011 03:19 PM

Cobb Air Box / Cold air intakes etc are just gay. There are 0 gains for what you are doing.

You are running a Verso tune, but no mention of what turbo? If it is still the stock TD04 replace with a VF34, Decap Injectors, Fuel Pump, Re-tune for super fun happy times.

I'd also up the handling and braking game (sway bars, rotors, pads, fluids etc).

Best mod you can do is head down to some RAC training days on the skid pan and learn how to drive your car. Best fun you can have with your pants on (and off) :D

ImPreSiV 08-06-2011 03:51 PM

[QUOTE=Kato;573508]Best fun you can have with your pants on (and off) :D[/QUOTE]

I've witnessed the latter in this - not a pretty sight... trust me!

But basically, what Kato said! :)

WRXMatt 08-06-2011 04:07 PM

Thanks Brett! Good to know about the Redline Shock Proof. I dont plan on going to the track until I do alot more mods, so maybe a different type of Gearbox Oil would suit me. Would the Shockproof suit daily driving? Or is it mainly used for the track?
Yeah im keen to get a nice Cold Air Intake/Cobb Intake for the Sweet Sound :)

Just running the Stock TD04 with the Verso Tune. Yeah VF34 would be very nice! but might need to wait awhile before I can afford a new Turbo setup.
RAC training days sound interesting! Would be keen to check them out! The understeer was new to me after coming from a rear wheel drive car, lol

Voot 08-06-2011 04:47 PM

[QUOTE=WRXMatt;573518] The understeer was new to me after coming from a rear wheel drive car, lol[/QUOTE]

Don't bother with anymore power, just get some front camber adjustment bolts and see john at wheels world, get him to set it up.

This will give you almost no understeer, and then you can feel how much power it has already in the corners :)

RoughStilin 08-06-2011 10:11 PM

[QUOTE=WRXMatt;573490]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]The car came with the 3 inch exhaust system and the king springs. The centre muffler in the exhaust seems to be broken (if I tap on it, it sounds like an empty Milo tin) and makes a gay noise when the car revs up (rattles between 3000 and 4500 revs). Looks like it was made somewhere and they didn’t use any brackets or anything, it hangs super low lol. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[/QUOTE]

Hey mate,

When you say centre muffler, do you mean CAT or catalytic converter, you may find that it is not a muffler but a catalytic converter that had come apart inside?

I had a similar issue on a SS ute I had, the cats hung low, got hit on the kerb when going from the road to driveways or on speed bumps. This smashes the honeycomb looking material inside and this is what you might be hearing when you go between the 4 - 4.5k mark.

This is also why it probably sounds like an empty Milo tin when you tap it?

I might be wrong, but this is a similar issue to what I had. It had me stumped for ages, until the honeycomb looking material inside disintegrated and the rattling noise went away.

WRXMatt 09-06-2011 01:38 PM

Thanks Voot! Gonna do that for sure! Sounds like a great mod!
Yeah im happy with the power for now, just wanna get a nice drive from it and some great sounds.
Roughstilin, yeah i checked the cat, that seems to sound ok, but the tin sound is coming from the centre muffler, the one before the rear muffler. It hangs super low because of the exhaust and always gets bashed! lol

oneten 09-06-2011 01:43 PM

[QUOTE=WRXMatt;573518]
Just running the Stock TD04 with the Verso Tune. Yeah VF34 would be very nice! but might need to wait awhile before I can afford a new Turbo setup.
RAC training days sound interesting! Would be keen to check them out! The understeer was new to me after coming from a rear wheel drive car, lol[/QUOTE]

Nice car mate!! Pretty much exactly what I bought, excpt mine is a wagon :) Mine had very similar mods too, so I can relate to your satisfaction... it won wear off anytime soon either!

You say it has a Verso tune, but only 16psi??
Mine im almost positive has never had a tune but also runs 16psi, I thought this was stocko boost?
Mine does have a full 3 inch turbo back exhaust tho.

Keep the mods coming.

Kato 09-06-2011 01:58 PM

Stocker boost is ~13.5psi.