Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1348Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-12-2012, 09:40 PM
STI Master

Marti at standard level

Why not fit coil overs and brakes your self ?, 4 pot front with good pads, slotted rotors and braided lines would be more then enough, 2 pot rears with the same set up. Why are you set on teins?.

Plus if you fit brembos you will need to get rims to clear them

Car: C Red S13 Silvia 2.3l 400+rwhp-SOLD
Daily ae82 4age corolla (light mods)-Sold
Daily:SWB GQ Patrol
Will be a 03-04 STI next
Old 18-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level

WRX front half cut | Engine, Engine Parts & Transmission | Gumtree Australia Joondalup Area - Duncraig

This could be worth an enquiry.
Is your car currently fwd or awd?
If fwd, you'd want to wait until doing the conversion to put the coil overs in. Almost certain awd and fwd rear hub assembly knuckles are different so struts are not interchangeable.
Old 18-12-2012, 10:12 PM
STI Master

Cat at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmh View Post
Why brembos?
everyone says they're the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Mao at Evo R would be a good port of call for some whiteline swaybars, otherwise a set of WRX/STI ones would always be a cheap improvement. One thing you'll need to do before you start though is to source a set of WRX rear lateral links. The non-turbo models don't have the rear swaybar mounting bracket which is welded to the rear link, so you'll need to change these out.

The clean painted 'bars' are the links I swapped into my car. The one toward the front of the car will look different on yours, more like a piece of flat metal rolled like a taco shell (I swapped my original bracketless link into this position).

Try JWS, Japline, etc. for a second hand set. Honestly though, these are going to cost massive bucks - a WRX 4/1 or 4/2 pot set up would be enough if you ask me. You'll have to swap out your rear hubs for WRX ones, fronts bolt straight on. A set of slotted rotors and decent pads and you'll be sweet.

I'm running a 4/1 set up with slotted front rotors, and have had many close calls from things jumping out in front of me - kangaroos, utes, etc. Not once have I felt the car was lacking in the brake department (I do have decent street tyres which would also be helping here).

JWS or Japline. Both of them will tell you good half cuts are getting scarce. I've got JWS piecing me a V6 STI 'half cut' together out of separate parts they have laying about - you might get lucky and have one turn up, but expect the worst. May be a totally different story for a STI cut that matches your model year though.
thankyou for all that info, i'll have to grab some lateral links soon then, i didn't realise the n/a and turbo models would differ so much...... damn.
second hand brakes might be the way to go as long as they will fit and do a good job i'll be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forde View Post
Don't even bother with the websites. Go into JWS and talk to fats. If they don't have what you want, they will find it. They can do the conversion for you as well. Or give S Technic a call. Do not waste your time buying individual parts if you want to do a conversion. Its way cheaper to buy a half cut.

I could do you a conversion similar to mine for you if offered the right price.
cool i'll go in and talk to jws thursday to organise something and i wouldn't want to take the joy away from the guys at stechnic doing the conversion so i'll give them a call soon and l will pay them with cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti View Post
Why not fit coil overs and brakes your self ?, 4 pot front with good pads, slotted rotors and braided lines would be more then enough, 2 pot rears with the same set up. Why are you set on teins?.

Plus if you fit brembos you will need to get rims to clear them
i would never want to mess with my brakes or suspension rather get someone who knows what they're doing and have some sort of warranty.

really any kind of coilovers i'll be happy with as long as they are good and 18" rims are on the chrissy list too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GX-REX View Post
WRX front half cut | Engine, Engine Parts & Transmission | Gumtree Australia Joondalup Area - Duncraig

This could be worth an enquiry.
Is your car currently fwd or awd?
If fwd, you'd want to wait until doing the conversion to put the coil overs in. Almost certain awd and fwd rear hub assembly knuckles are different so struts are not interchangeable.
is good but i want to get the sti engine and gearbox too.

also would it be a good idea to get the engine sorted first, baby the car everywhere then get the upgraded brakes and coilovers staight after ?
Old 18-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmh View Post
Why brembos?
Cat - $100 you can have my full GTB brake setup. Rotors, calipers, Dixcel pads (front), OEM rear pads, PCD 100 and should suit our 170mm park brake rears.

Sweet talk one of the boys to fit for a carton, bleed with decent fluid. Baller on a light weight RX.

Save approx $3500 ...
STI325V6, AWDmoke, RUSSGT and 4 others like this.
ALEX. (18-12-2012)
Old 18-12-2012, 10:23 PM
STI Master

Cat at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB Liberty View Post
Cat - $100 you can have my full GTB brake setup. Rotors, calipers, Dixcel pads (front), OEM rear pads, PCD 100 and should suit our 170mm park brake rears.

Sweet talk one of the boys to fit for a carton, bleed with decent fluid. Baller on a light weight RX.

Save approx $3500 ...

pm sent
Old 18-12-2012, 10:24 PM
STI Master

Patch at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru4eva93 View Post

thankyou for all that info, i'll have to grab some lateral links soon then, i didn't realise the n/a and turbo models would differ so much...... damn.
second hand brakes might be the way to go as long as they will fit and do a good job i'll be happy.

also would it be a good idea to get the engine sorted first, baby the car everywhere then get the upgraded brakes and coilovers staight after ?
Swapping suspension/brakes out at the same time as the engine is probably the way to go, all the bits and pieces will be out at the same time anyway. Would not want to be punting an STI powered RX around on the stock brakes/suspension; get handing sorted first if you must stagger it.

And happy to help, you tend to learn a lot when you do play around putting WRX bits on a N/A. There's hardly anything of my original car left!
Old 18-12-2012, 10:25 PM

Master D knows their stuff

Quote:

Save approx $3500 ...
These would work sweet on your car. You would not know yourself after this
Old 18-12-2012, 10:30 PM
STI Master

Cat at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Swapping suspension/brakes out at the same time as the engine is probably the way to go, all the bits and pieces will be out at the same time anyway. Would not want to be punting an STI powered RX around on the stock brakes/suspension; get handing sorted first if you must stagger it.

And happy to help, you tend to learn a lot when you do play around putting WRX bits on a N/A. There's hardly anything of my original car left!
yep i'll do the brakes and suspension first or at least try to get it all done in one hit because i do not want to bin it and if only i had the time,space and knowledge i would love to do this all myself....maybe if i win lotto
Old 18-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Quote:

Save approx $3500 ...
^^^ Much better idea than Brembos in your situation Cat.
Although the rear fitment will require hubs as well. Your car currently has drum brakes. Not a huge problem though. Also the master cylinder and proportioning valve will need changing when you fit the disc brakes on the back. The fronts are an easy fit, bigger than WRX 4 pots and cheap as chips. Your 14" steel rims will not clear those big 316mm brakes too.
RUSSGT and GTB Liberty like this.
Old 18-12-2012, 10:36 PM

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru4eva93 View Post
pm sent
Merry Xmas

Just spreading the good will that has been passed my direction over the years by P-WRX members.

Thanks for the info Dougie. So Cat ... Get onto it
ALEX., Soksta and Cat like this.

Tags
balls, because racecar, boost, cat, chop chop ad, dak, dok, dok dok boom!, dokless, heard a slight tapping...... meh she'll be right, let it die, limiter launchs rule!!, lot, needs more cable ties, rattle can presentable, rip funny tags, snap dakle pop, sorta running well, stock