Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree1348Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-02-2014, 07:41 PM
Sir AntiLag

Sharpy.au at standard level

Unless you're able to get heat into the slicks first, which will be hard with an awd, they'll be shit. Ad08's are a harder compound and less surface area so should turn and won't require much heat

It's probably a good idea to get a track tyre you know will do well around a track first (ad08r, rs-r etc) and then see how that goes at the drags and go from there

In saying that, if you're going to have dedicated rims for the track and you're willing to experiment - the 123S or NT-01's might be right up your alley
Cat likes this.
Old 24-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Flat Four Father

mitchwnz knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to mitchwnz Send a message via Skype™ to mitchwnz

I don't understand why you're even using your car to go "off road" cat, you will just damage it.. buy a bunky old Land Cruiser if you want to do that and keep your car for track and even daily use. Buy some AD08's like everybody else has suggested and be done with it.
Old 24-02-2014, 09:27 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

Shhh Mitch, I want to see what a 12 second horse shoe looks like.
mitchwnz likes this.
Old 24-02-2014, 09:35 PM
STI Master

Cat at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchwnz View Post
I don't understand why you're even using your car to go "off road" cat, you will just damage it.. buy a bunky old Land Cruiser if you want to do that and keep your car for track and even daily use. Buy some AD08's like everybody else has suggested and be done with it.
Just like how you use your daily driver to do events and if it breaks you're screwed as you need it for your job ?

Same same

I enjoy driving off road as I'm learning how to actually control my car on gravel and I want to get better so I need more practice because I'm aiming for serious events in the future, it started with Dowerin then the RAC and then Collie. Soon it will be Autocrosses,barbs,rallysprints ect, and then hopefully Targa but this may be some time away.

Yes I would like a bunky landcruiser but I won't be using that in events but I will my car so I need to know how my car handles on different terrain hence the different rim and tyre combos I want to get. Also in the end it doesn't matter what is under the hood it will always be a pos impreza that I can thrash around!

Does that help you understand why I go off road
N1GHTH4WK92 likes this.
Old 24-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Tony knows their stuff

I'd buy one set of event wheels and save the rest of your cash for all the spare parts you are going to have to buy.
Old 24-02-2014, 10:35 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

Jeckle at standard level

Cat

Looks like your chasing a car to do it all, and do everything.

Even F1 stars struggle on dirt, and the current dirt 4WD champion doesn't want to do tarmac stuff.

True your not them, but there is something in that.

I drive (well sit in the car and try to get to its potential) on tarmac, (Rallysprints SES, and TSW so far TSW and TW this year) in one car.

We also have a VUSS which does longer trips, bit of a play on the local skid gravel pits, and did Dowerin as apart of the co driver course.

And a 105 Landcrusier (well for the time being soon to be replaced with another 4WD) to do real off road, where you need low range, have fun in the mud, rocks and trips like the CSR, Flinders, and camping trips.

All of these cars have their place, and aren't totally interchangeable.

As you get more serious with the "tarmac" car, you'll start looking at towing the subbie. Perhaps a potential tow vehicle can be your off road fun vehicle.

Think Utes, mid sized 4WDs, they work for B&S's as a work hack and have fun in the dirt. Its really getting the feel for how a car reacts to the dirt, no matter what it is.
TROLLEY, mitchwnz, Tiigga and 1 others like this.

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeckle For This Useful Post:
Cat (25-02-2014)
Old 25-02-2014, 11:34 AM
STI Master

Cat at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckle View Post
Cat

Looks like your chasing a car to do it all, and do everything.

Even F1 stars struggle on dirt, and the current dirt 4WD champion doesn't want to do tarmac stuff.

True your not them, but there is something in that.

I drive (well sit in the car and try to get to its potential) on tarmac, (Rallysprints SES, and TSW so far TSW and TW this year) in one car.

We also have a VUSS which does longer trips, bit of a play on the local skid gravel pits, and did Dowerin as apart of the co driver course.

And a 105 Landcrusier (well for the time being soon to be replaced with another 4WD) to do real off road, where you need low range, have fun in the mud, rocks and trips like the CSR, Flinders, and camping trips.

All of these cars have their place, and aren't totally interchangeable.

As you get more serious with the "tarmac" car, you'll start looking at towing the subbie. Perhaps a potential tow vehicle can be your off road fun vehicle.

Think Utes, mid sized 4WDs, they work for B&S's as a work hack and have fun in the dirt. Its really getting the feel for how a car reacts to the dirt, no matter what it is.
Essentially yes, I love driving on both dirt and tarmac which is the problem as I need to set the car up for one or the other and then I also like the drags so I'm still trying to figure out what direction to take with it :/

I know I'll have to get a towing vehichle soon and I was very recently going to sell my bike and get a 4x4 but couldn't do it as I'm still having too much fun on the bike to sell it, and I also prefer going off road in my car because I feel more in control where as I'm a bit scared of being in a high 4x4 and rolling it. That is really my main fear I have in any car and after watching the video of Doug rolling his over east it made me realise how easy it is to... But if I want to do some of these events I guess I'll have to get over it.

All I know is I'll definetly need another daily that can tow because I can forsee this being an expensive year for my car and I.

What kind of towing capacity do Commodore utes have

Last edited by Cat; 25-02-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 25-02-2014, 01:17 PM
Sir AntiLag

Sharpy.au at standard level

Why not get a shit box and do some BORMSA stuff?
Old 25-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

Jeckle at standard level

To answer your last q, if it was a crewman, 2.1t for a 6 and, 2.5t for 8/ses one. For a Ute its a bit lower, possibly to low for what it may be capable of doing.

There is aways the fear of rolling over, hitting a tree, or a wall, many on here have including me. I only had a small bit of cosmetic damage.

Always good to start each run with the words if Jeremy Clarkson, 'please god, don't let me mess this up". But if you can't afford to bin it, you can't afford to race it, or realise that when its driven on a closed bit of road, tar or dirt, it maybe the last thing the car does, no matter how good/bad you are.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
TROLLEY likes this.

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeckle For This Useful Post:
Cat (25-02-2014)
Old 25-02-2014, 01:48 PM
STI Master

Cat at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpy.au View Post
Why not get a shit box and do some BORMSA stuff?
I did not know of BORMSA but fuck yes I want to do it now!! The only problem is I don't have the room to have a tow car, my car and a shit box along with my bike. Even though I would love to buy a shitty excel to do this kind of event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckle View Post
To answer your last q, if it was a crewman, 2.1t for a 6 and, 2.5t for 8/ses one. For a Ute its a bit lower, possibly to low for what it may be capable of doing.

There is aways the fear of rolling over, hitting a tree, or a wall, many on here have including me. I only had a small bit of cosmetic damage.

Always good to start each run with the words if Jeremy Clarkson, 'please god, don't let me mess this up". But if you can't afford to bin it, you can't afford to race it, or realise that when its driven on a closed bit of road, tar or dirt, it maybe the last thing the car does, no matter how good/bad you are.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
Ahhh I thought the utes would have a better towing capacity, so with my car and a trailer it would be just under 2t ?

So far I've hit a haul truck tyre, small tree and a hay bale all at low speeds though...I'll try to keep a wall off that list.

Looks like I'll be starting my race/rally car fund for when things go wrong now!

Tags
balls, because racecar, boost, cat, chop chop ad, dak, dok, dok dok boom!, dokless, heard a slight tapping...... meh she'll be right, let it die, limiter launchs rule!!, lot, needs more cable ties, rattle can presentable, rip funny tags, snap dakle pop, sorta running well, stock