Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Your Driveway (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/your-driveway/)
-   -   DBA brake rotors (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/your-driveway/54216-dba-brake-rotors.html)

snakeeyes 17-04-2013 02:17 PM

DBA brake rotors

So here's the question DBA vented cross drilled/slotted brake rotors a good product or not?
Been looking at them for my hawkeye STI any thoughts on them?

Sethi3 17-04-2013 02:20 PM

I have used DBA4000 and the T2 street slotted rotors and they're good rotors. Can't fault them. I would highly recommend them.

No experience on cross drilled ones though. Are you planning on taking the car to tracks much? If so, use slotted as cross drilled ones have been known to crack.

snakeeyes 17-04-2013 02:27 PM

[QUOTE=Sethi3;748849]I have used DBA4000 and the T2 street slotted rotors and they're good rotors. Can't fault them. I would highly recommend them.

No experience on cross drilled ones though. Are you planning on taking the car to tracks much? If so, use slotted as cross drilled ones have been known to crack.[/QUOTE]

Thanks
Getting the car to that level to do Tarmac/ some track but taking some time and mucho denero
Was not sure about DBA the model I was looking at DBA5000 T3

kid 17-04-2013 02:37 PM

For me: DBA 4000 T3 + QFM A1RM

On my second set now...great value for money combo.

snakeeyes 17-04-2013 02:47 PM

[QUOTE=kid;748852]For me: DBA 4000 T3 + QFM A1RM

On my second set now...great value for money combo.[/QUOTE]

Looks like DBA 4000 then

Jeckle 17-04-2013 02:52 PM

Have used DBA 4000s on my MY06.

Putting a new set on the front for TSW, and they will be 4000s again.

kid 17-04-2013 02:54 PM

Where you buying from? Checkout GSL Rallysport or there is also some guy on the liberty forums that does them cheap, but i forgot his name.....maybe someone else can help?

snakeeyes 17-04-2013 03:12 PM

[QUOTE=kid;748857]Where you buying from? Checkout GSL Rallysport or there is also some guy on the liberty forums that does them cheap, but i forgot his name.....maybe someone else can help?[/QUOTE]

Looking online Car mods Australia has em on sale for $900, but that's DBA5000 slotted T3
I'll look at GSL rally sport too

Wavey 17-04-2013 03:48 PM

What do the DBA 5000 and DBA 400 models have over the bottom of the range models and Generic brands of Disc?
Apart from being shiny and having slots in them to skim the disc to stop glazing?
Has anyone noticed any brake improvement (Feel/Fade) when changing from standard Discs to a name brand model, but using the same type of pad?
Surely a bottom of the range disc would meet the same standards as a top of the range Disc, but maybe they would wear out quicker?
Is it worth spending the $$ on name brand Discs?

Jeckle 17-04-2013 04:22 PM

Waves.

I went the DBAs because when I got the car it needed new discs and pads, and the stock Brembos were $2k for the discs alone from Subaru.

Also worth checking with Wolf Racing as I got a good deal through them, the DBAs were only $40 per corner more than their Hawke brand, so went with the Australian option.

Changing to a Hawke option to see how they go. Can also recommend GSL, as I have gotten most of my brake gear through them, but thought I'd share the love round a bit.

Oh Waveys comment, I stayed with the 4000 rather than the 5000, cause not sure what the aluminium hat would do for me, and unsure how long it would take to recoupe the initial price difference by buying the "outer" disc only when buying replacements rather than the whole assembly.

GTB Liberty 17-04-2013 05:19 PM

Crusin (Mark) on Liberty ASN.

phoenix 17-04-2013 05:27 PM

I think the 2 main things about the aluminium hat are the saving in weight, unsprung weight and rotational mass, and helps reduce the heat soak into the hub and wheel bearings which prolongs the life of them and I think helps the rotor cool a bit quicker too.

Then the obvious thing as in cheaper to replace the rotor only rather than the whole thing come replacement time.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong??

Jeckle 17-04-2013 05:58 PM

Weight saving would be true, heat soak not so sure, Ali would heat faster than steel, but would cool faster, but how much faster not sure.

4000s @ $200ish, less if on special etc, the replacements would need to be a lot less to overcome the initial sticker shock. (Or I would have to improve my driving to Carl or Mattys level :D)

GTB Liberty 17-04-2013 06:10 PM

Unless its a track car the benefits of split hat rotor design is minimal excepting it looks the boss.

RichX 17-04-2013 06:44 PM

[QUOTE=Wavey;748867]What do the DBA 5000 and DBA 400 models have over the bottom of the range models and Generic brands of Disc?
[/QUOTE]

They pride themselves their internal kangaroo paw design which aids cooling/efficiency of the rotor. ^^ True as about the 4000/5000 differences too. Go 5000's for street-cred and if you have nice rims to show off a coloured hat.

I have 4000 T3's and they barely break a sweat for spirited street.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PzWFn6lGBs]DBA Kangaroo Paw Disc Rotor Ventilation Design - YouTube[/url]

[IMG]http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/4292/dsc01257600x450ph5.jpg[/IMG]

4000 T3

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/315jzpj.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=phoenix;748889]

Someone please correct me if I am wrong??[/QUOTE]

Spot on about everything you said.

snakeeyes 17-04-2013 07:32 PM

Well guys I'd like to thank you all.
Went with the DBA 5000 T3's split rotor front and DBA 5000 T3's in back, but in the black hat.
Got it from GSL

snakeeyes 17-04-2013 07:41 PM

[QUOTE=Wavey;748867]What do the DBA 5000 and DBA 400 models have over the bottom of the range models and Generic brands of Disc?
Apart from being shiny and having slots in them to skim the disc to stop glazing?
Has anyone noticed any brake improvement (Feel/Fade) when changing from standard Discs to a name brand model, but using the same type of pad?
Surely a bottom of the range disc would meet the same standards as a top of the range Disc, but maybe they would wear out quicker?
Is it worth spending the $$ on name brand Discs?[/QUOTE]

There is marked improvement in rotor upgrades and its all centered around keeping the disks cool which greatly improves braking performance.
As for the aluminum hats they act as a heat sink in the cooling process.
The slots are there for cooling too they act in a similar way to a compressor rotor as they draw air in as well as keeping brake dust off the friction surface.

phoenix 17-04-2013 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=snakeeyes;748910]Well guys I'd like to thank you all.
Went with the DBA 5000 T3's split rotor front and DBA 5000 T3's in back, but in the black hat.[/QUOTE]

Dont they only come with black hats now anyway ?? Dont get a choice like you used to I dont think.

snakeeyes 17-04-2013 08:38 PM

[QUOTE=phoenix;748917]Dont they only come with black hats now anyway ?? Dont get a choice like you used to I dont think.[/QUOTE]

There is a choice but the gold hats are cross drill
Black hats are only slotted

snakeeyes 17-04-2013 09:06 PM

[QUOTE=davidsdh;748924]Any point in splashing a little more on a set of these?

[url=http://www.project-mu.com.au/en/products/rotor_scr.php]Project Mu Brakes - Brake Rotor - SCR[/url][/QUOTE]

I guess it's up to you and your budget seem to have similar specs to the DBA 4000/5000 T3's

RichX 17-04-2013 09:07 PM

Just me, but I don't reckon so. Maybe the GT version. [url=http://www.project-mu.com.au/en/products/rotor_scrgt.php]Project Mu Brakes - Brake Rotor - SCR GT[/url]

Almost 2 grand for a set of fronts but $$$$. Would want to be proven. That is on your way to a full alcon kit.

snakeeyes 17-04-2013 09:34 PM

[QUOTE=davidsdh;748934]Well when I win the $40 million this week ill buy everyone in the thread a full set of mu's or alcons :D[/QUOTE]

Good on ya :)

snakeeyes 17-04-2013 09:42 PM

[QUOTE=RichX;748930]Just me, but I don't reckon so. Maybe the GT version. [url=http://www.project-mu.com.au/en/products/rotor_scrgt.php]Project Mu Brakes - Brake Rotor - SCR GT[/url]

Almost 2 grand for a set of fronts but $$$$. Would want to be proven. That is on your way to a full alcon kit.[/QUOTE]

The GT project Mu are premium

munya 17-04-2013 10:34 PM

I would like to run those rotors and see. I am currently running the HC+ project mu pads on dba4000 rotors and no complaints from me

Sent from da iPhone

squid 17-04-2013 11:06 PM

Am considering project mu's over the dba 5000s I have currently.
TBH I am a little disappointed in them, and I'm thinking it may be due to the cross drilling in part, but could also be down to pads and driving style as well, as i did used to live in the hills (back when zigzags was fun)

But anyways, my gold hat dba5000's have visible burn/heat marks on them, and have a very uneven surface & deeply scared, despite plenty of meat on the pads and more recently have warped & part of the reason why I haven't brought it out much lately. I have never put my car on the track, but there is plenty of damage you can do off the track, especially with some of the more 'elite' cruises ;)

snakeeyes 17-04-2013 11:15 PM

[QUOTE=squid;748953]Am considering project mu's over the dba 5000s I have currently.
TBH I am a little disappointed in them, and I'm thinking it may be due to the cross drilling in part, but could also be down to pads and driving style as well, as i did used to live in the hills (back when zigzags was fun)

But anyways, my gold hat dba5000's have visible burn/heat marks on them, and have a very uneven surface & deeply scared, despite plenty of meat on the pads and more recently have warped & part of the reason why I haven't brought it out much lately. I have never put my car on the track, but there is plenty of damage you can do off the track, especially with some of the more 'elite' cruises ;)[/QUOTE]

I was warned that the cross drilled DBA'S crack so went for the slotted instead.
what pads do you use?
If you got the cash spare "Squid" try the Cosworth brake package its around 5k but the american's seem to think they are really premo.

squid 18-04-2013 10:06 PM

[QUOTE=snakeeyes;748955]I was warned that the cross drilled DBA'S crack so went for the slotted instead.
what pads do you use?
If you got the cash spare "Squid" try the Cosworth brake package its around 5k but the american's seem to think they are really premo.[/QUOTE]

haha nahh, end of the day its getting too hard to have any serious or competitive fun in wa, and pretty much australia :/
..so the PMU's should be fine :)
All my money is going towards the amarok at the moment anyway.
-5k is a lot of money, basically, 20% of the value of my car, for something which will 90% make no substantial difference of the STD brembos...

Cant remember current pads of the top of my head - but whats desirable? i was think of going with the pmu pads with the pmu rotors - appx 20/80 hard to casual use :)

kid 18-04-2013 10:35 PM

^ Never been on a track + giving advice about PMU and DBA 5000 and talking about going on "elite" cruises...

What the hell?

If there is no track work involved I would just stick to standard discs and pads.

ALEX. 19-04-2013 01:26 AM

Snakeeyes... EDIT: I'll get back to you.

snakeeyes 19-04-2013 08:51 AM

[QUOTE=squid;749109]haha nahh, end of the day its getting too hard to have any serious or competitive fun in wa, and pretty much australia :/
..so the PMU's should be fine :)
All my money is going towards the amarok at the moment anyway.
-5k is a lot of money, basically, 20% of the value of my car, for something which will 90% make no substantial difference of the STD brembos...

Cant remember current pads of the top of my head - but whats desirable? i was think of going with the pmu pads with the pmu rotors - appx 20/80 hard to casual use :)[/QUOTE]

PMU's are going to be fine, the cosworth's were just thrown in there
I wouldn't pay that much either
Ill be running my standard pads till they are done then ill go for the PMU HC+

Saint_23 19-04-2013 09:34 AM

I was running DBA 650S rotors with QFM AR1M pads during the rallysprint series.
I have now changed the discs to DBA 4000T3 which helped, but I have no confidence in the pads.
They are ok for the road, but the pedal doesn't have enough bite and feel wooden.
Going to PMU HC+'s before next outing.

One day...
[IMG]http://www.subaruwrcspares.com/resources/_wsb_434x389_Alcon+Tar+FR+Brake+2.jpg[/IMG]

snakeeyes 19-04-2013 10:06 AM

[QUOTE=ALEX.;749126]Snakeeyes... EDIT: I'll get back to you.[/QUOTE]

Cool

snakeeyes 26-04-2013 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
DBA T3 5000's arrived:)

drewgong 26-04-2013 04:26 PM

5000s on front n 4000s on back here.. work well, look pimp.. nice job wont be dissapointed

snakeeyes 26-04-2013 06:48 PM

[QUOTE=drewgong;750282]5000s on front n 4000s on back here.. work well, look pimp.. nice job wont be dissapointed[/QUOTE]

Same set up here, Thanks:)

phoenix 26-04-2013 08:32 PM

I will be fitting Project Mu SCR Pro front rotors as part of my Brembo upgrade when I get all the stuff together. I will only be fitting DBA street series drilled/slotted golds on the back, not worth going to much more on the rears in my opinion as they hardly do anything anyway.

Currently running DBA5000 slotted on the fronts with Ferodo DS2500 pads and standard discs/pads on the rear and have always been happy with the 5000's as a rotor and I suppose mostly the performance. I did use the A1RM pads in the front for a while but wasnt that impressed with them in the feel and they were a bit harsh on the discs.

I will be interested to see the difference in the new set up to the old when done. I will probably stick with the DS2500 pads in the new set up too. They seem to work well and have been good to my rotors in the past also.

snakeeyes 26-04-2013 08:51 PM

[QUOTE=phoenix;750331]I will be fitting Project Mu SCR Pro front rotors as part of my Brembo upgrade when I get all the stuff together. I will only be fitting DBA street series drilled/slotted golds on the back, not worth going to much more on the rears in my opinion as they hardly do anything anyway.

Currently running DBA5000 slotted on the fronts with Ferodo DS2500 pads and standard discs/pads on the rear and have always been happy with the 5000's as a rotor and I suppose mostly the performance. I did use the A1RM pads in the front for a while but wasnt that impressed with them in the feel and they were a bit harsh on the discs.

I will be interested to see the difference in the new set up to the old when done. I will probably stick with the DS2500 pads in the new set up too. They seem to work well and have been good to my rotors in the past also.[/QUOTE]

Looking at PMu's HC+ pad to marry with the new rotors
Any experience with them?

s20525xxx 26-04-2013 10:31 PM

[QUOTE=snakeeyes;750333]Looking at PMu's HC+ pad to marry with the new rotors
Any experience with them?[/QUOTE]

I only have them in front with pmu scr pro. First thing is u have to bed them in very carefully, otherwise they will be noisy for their entire life span.

If u do so, they r very quiet, excellent initial bite, quite friendly to rotors(even wear), but a bit dusty.

snakeeyes 26-04-2013 10:37 PM

[QUOTE=s20525xxx;750348]I only have them in front with pmu scr pro. First thing is u have to bed them in very carefully, otherwise they will be noisy for their entire life span.

If u do so, they r very quiet, excellent initial bite, quite friendly to rotors(even wear), but a bit dusty.[/QUOTE]

Even more dusty than the stock sti pads?

snakeeyes 24-05-2013 09:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
DBA's installed with PMU HC+ pads great improvement