Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree287Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-02-2017, 05:43 PM
STI Master

Jacob92 at standard level

Haha no me but the new managent will have a sad haha

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
Old 05-04-2017, 08:23 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Naturally I thought the worst when I saw this mess this morning.

I sent these pics through to John Fowler and he mentioned the splatter marks look like they went all the way round the wheel arch which doesn't make sense. There is not one drop of oil on the rim or tyre. The marks are very greasy not oily and thin like shock oil.

There is also no oil residue whatsoever on the top of the shaft/seal area. I remember running over something yesterday going through one of the many road works sites in the north here. I was cursing myself for not paying attention.

John has suggested dropping the car firmly from my hydraulic jack and listening carefully for any noise. If the shock is empty it will sound obvious.

I checked further along the car and the stains run along the sill then inside the rear wheel arch wheel there are more splatter marks. So I took the car for a drive and all seems ok for now.

Whatever I ran over it must have had a fair bit of grease in it.... kaaaarnts.
REXXXED 2.0 likes this.
Old 14-06-2017, 01:03 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Another shitty update from me.

My 6spd has developed some annoying symptoms.

The car is a 2010 STi with 72k on the clock (gearbox code TY856UG1KA). I have owned it for 6 years, and yes it has been well used.

It has supposedly had two major services in that time but I am suspicious the oil has never been done on the gearbox due to the lame arse excuses I got from the person servicing it at the time.

When the 6spd is cold it is notchy and requires a bit more effort than normal to get into gear. Once it warms up it is better but still noticeable. If you try to rush the gears it occasionally won't go in at all. I am told this is worn synchros or worn main shaft that affects all the gears in the box.

At the track if you are down shifting from 3rd to 2nd during hard braking it feels like it has gone into 2nd gear. But when you get back on the gas it jumps out of gear into neutral.

The last couple of launches at the drags were tragic. It sounded like a machine gun, literally. You know bangbangbangbangbangbangbangbang.

There is a slight shudder from the clutch/flywheel when taking off normally in first gear. It is only very minor, but could be contributing to some of these issues.

Clutch is a new stage 3 sintered/ceramic from Competition Clutches & the flywheel is a machined oem STi jobbie.

I have spoken to a couple of mechanics who have suggested changing the oil from the standard oem stuff to something of higher quality, like the Motul 300LS 75w/90. Which I have now ordered. It has even been suggested to throw a tube of nulon g70 in there too, which is meant to be good with notchy boxes.

I have been told the banging on launch might the dccd on its way out & to replace the dccd plate and ring set with a kit like this from Kaps transmissions.

CARBON COATED DCCD KIT - KAPS Professional Racing Gearboxes

Basically the box felt notchy before the new clutch & engine went in but since then it has deteriorated furthered and now the machine gun effect is in full swing when you try and launch it.

I was hoping for some more tips on trouble shooting and hear peoples experiences if they have been through similar with their 6spd.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give those who can be bothered reading it some info to think about.

Cheers.
Dan [GTI] likes this.
Old 14-06-2017, 01:19 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

chevZ at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick73 View Post
There is a slight shudder from the clutch/flywheel when taking off normally in first gear. It is only very minor, but could be contributing to some of these issues.
Probably doesn't help but I have this exact symptom with my 6spd in my MY11 STi too. It's not bad enough to worry me but I'm going to bring it up at the next service and go from there. I will post back if I have any resolution.
The Following User Says Thank You to chevZ For This Useful Post:
nick73 (14-06-2017)
Old 14-06-2017, 03:52 PM
Flat Four Father

XT43 is a guruXT43 is a guruXT43 is a guru

Must be the time of year for it, mines going in for a sychro replacement very soon.

You'd have to go the oil change and hope for a simple fix, have read plenty of stuff with this being the fix.
Old 14-06-2017, 04:55 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Yeah. You can try a premium grade oil.

The cheaper ones i have had cause stiff shiftimg when cold in my 5spd. I put a more expensive brand into it and it improved it somewhat when cold. Even though it was still the same recommended viscosity oil.

But it might be a waste of good money if it isnt a miracle fix. I guess if it doesnt work you could drain and collect the fresh oil for later. Then shell out for an expensive rebuild.
nick73 (14-06-2017)
Old 14-06-2017, 05:05 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT43 View Post
Must be the time of year for it, mines going in for a sychro replacement very soon.

You'd have to go the oil change and hope for a simple fix, have read plenty of stuff with this being the fix.
Faaark I remember you saying something about it at the sprint race. Who is doing it and what are you getting done? Going flash as Michael Jackson or just like for like replacement?
Old 14-06-2017, 10:03 PM
Flat Four Father

XT43 is a guruXT43 is a guruXT43 is a guru

Doug @ STechnic

Just getting it fixed
Old 21-07-2017, 02:01 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Anyone got any suggestions for getting the oil pan off the bottom of the sti 6spd gearbox. The threebond gasket they have used appears to be very effective....
Old 21-07-2017, 04:14 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Sneakynuts at standard level

I just used a raw hide mallet gave it a few taps

Tags
betty, blue