Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree357Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-07-2017, 03:34 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Dan [GTI] knows their stuff

Having seen the final product that Jacob and Troy have put together it is amazing. If I had a GC8 that was getting a little long in the tooth but in great condition like his I would 100% be on the GD twinscoll swap, ~290hp in such a light car would be a great street car and quite nimble on the track. I would also argue that the peak power figures aren't even a 10% indication of how much better thei car drives.

It's still pure to Subaru and with Jacobs original intentions for the car. He didn't want to build a drag car, dyno queen or to be the quickest Suabru in Perth. He wanted a reliable, repsonsive and all-round package that he could use in differing forms of racing / motorsports.

Last edited by Dan [GTI]; 25-07-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 25-07-2017, 04:33 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

REXXXED 2.0 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektre View Post
Good to see its all up and running again Jacob. Im just confirming all of this though;

Original 205 with vf34 was 250HP on HUB dyno
New 207 with jap spec twin scroll was 254 on ROLLER dyno
New 207 with vf36 twin scroll was 290 on ROLLER dyno

Has it been worth it? Honestly? Or do you wish you had've gone a 3076 or blouch 1.5 in stock position?
Yep it has been worth it i never wanted a big power build as the fear of breaking the engine is always high.

Then money comes into account aswell i have only spent about 2-3k out of my own pocket when everything else payed for has been from sold parts and sold vehicles

I always wanted a car that sounded good,went good and looked the part and this does all 3

One day when i want to have a 400+ build i will do the plan that i layed out in the "possibility" sheet i have but for now this car is fun .

Its also good to see your car done mate i would like to come around one day and have a chat and look at your car and get your thoughts on how your car performs aswell

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
Old 25-07-2017, 06:28 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

The age old dilemma of trying to get the best balance of Performance, Economy and Reliabilty. They say you can only have 2 out of 3.
TROLLEY and REXXXED 2.0 like this.
Old 25-07-2017, 06:37 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

REXXXED 2.0 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
The age old dilemma of trying to get the best balance of Performance, Economy and Reliabilty. They say you can only have 2 out of 3.
Agreed bram reliability was #1 on my list

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
Old 26-07-2017, 12:10 AM
Sir AntiLag

dazdavies knows their stuff

I have performance and reliability but alas my economy sucks
Old 26-07-2017, 06:27 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdavies View Post
I have performance and reliability but alas my economy sucks
Your engine seams to be reliable now (touch wood). But that wasnt always the case. I remember you went through a whole bunch of rebuilds to get it where it is now. Cracked heads, piston valve salad, etc etc. As a whole, you could argue your car is very unreliable given the number of incidents.
Spektre likes this.
Old 26-07-2017, 09:33 AM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
Your engine seams to be reliable now (touch wood). But that wasnt always the case. I remember you went through a whole bunch of rebuilds to get it where it is now. Cracked heads, piston valve salad, etc etc. As a whole, you could argue your car is very unreliable given the number of incidents.
Bullshit. That's not the full picture and you know it.
Those issues were legacy issues from the shit work the original engine builders did. I dont know where you get the whole bunch of builds shit from either. The first failure was a cracked exhaust port. This was down to the fact the engine had been cooked on the shite previous builds prior to my ownership. Second one was a dropped valve because of too much inlet advance on the original tune by the morons that first built it.

That's it, two builds is hardly a bunch.

Now that it's built right and tuned right the engine is faultless. This engine has got close to 30,000 kms on it now and gets a beating most days. The only reason I've had the engine out since was to change the clutch. Although I'd changed the friction plates on the last build it was the rest of the hardware that needed changing again due to the abuse it gets, the power it has and the mileage its done.

To put that in comparison when ASG built the car it needed four engines to do half that.

If you're going to sling shit at least be factual about it.
spec 04, DZENCI, Dan [GTI] and 1 others like this.
Old 26-07-2017, 11:21 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdavies View Post
Bullshit. That's not the full picture and you know it.
Those issues were legacy issues from the shit work the original engine builders did. I dont know where you get the whole bunch of builds shit from either. The first failure was a cracked exhaust port. This was down to the fact the engine had been cooked on the shite previous builds prior to my ownership. Second one was a dropped valve because of too much inlet advance on the original tune by the morons that first built it.

That's it, two builds is hardly a bunch.

Now that it's built right and tuned right the engine is faultless. This engine has got close to 30,000 kms on it now and gets a beating most days. The only reason I've had the engine out since was to change the clutch. Although I'd changed the friction plates on the last build it was the rest of the hardware that needed changing again due to the abuse it gets, the power it has and the mileage its done.

To put that in comparison when ASG built the car it needed four engines to do half that.

If you're going to sling shit at least be factual about it.
Daz. Im not having a go at you personnally. Or your workmanship. But if we are talking about reliability with that car, then that car has proven to be un-reliable in the past. Both before your ownership. And after you got it, as you worked to get it where it is now.

Now. Im not saying its your fault. Infact ive seen your attention to detail with the car and know your not at fault. A cracked head on an engine that would be pulled down for a head gasket swap every 10 tanks of fuel. And then a valve snapping from too much AVCS advance, when you werent even tuning it, thats not your fault. But that IS reliability issues.

There have been some pretty serious reliablity issues with the car. ASG pulled it out a bunch of times. And im sure it was more than just 2 times with you. I think you came and borrowed my cam pully/shaft spanners atleast twice (maybe thrice) before you eventualy bought your own.

Where the car is at now. It looks to be holding together. Yourve run 10sec pass on both sides of the world. And it hasnt let go. So that is looking like its reliable now.

Is the car powerfull? No question.
Is the car expebsive? Fuck yes.
Is the car been reliable? Come on man. Dont tell me its been reliable.
Tony likes this.
Old 26-07-2017, 04:19 PM
Sir AntiLag

I see what you're saying but you're twisting it to try and make your point.
It wasn't reliable because of the quality of workmanship prior to my ownership. Once I'd got all of ASG's work out of the equation it's been faultless.
Let me rephrase then so there's no misinterpretation. For the last 30'000 kms the car has been reliable with the exception of the clutch which at close to 600ftlbs is to be expected.
Ergo my first statement is accurate. I have performance, reliability but my economy sucks.

Jacob, sorry for the hijack but I couldn't let that go without comment.
astralex and nick73 like this.

Last edited by dazdavies; 26-07-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 26-07-2017, 06:04 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Daz, your twisting it to suit your argument.

Fact, the engine has been in and out of the car for big repair more times than i have fingers on one hand. (Probably both hands.) This is not reliable mate.

It doesnt really matter if its because of a shit build, a random mechanical failure, a shit tune, a random mechanical failure from a previous shit build, a random mechanical failure from a previous shit tune, an act of god or whatever else caused the need for big repairs. The car still ends up laid up while repairs are done and money goes flying out the wallet. That is not reliable mate.

Just forget for a second that you built it yourself. (Im not having a go at you personnally. Just discussing the history of the car) And just assume you are just a regular joe. You take the car to a speed shop for a high power build, hand over the cash, And you get what happened to the previous owner. (A big $ build, then numerous subsequent "gasket repairs") Then you take it to a second shop. And get another build, and the head lets go on the dyno, then another big repair follows and a valve lets go shortly after that. Then another big repair again. (At which point everyone else is wondering why you still persist with your super reliable car). But you do persist and finally on the 6th or 7th time round you get lucky. The engine builder did a good job, nothing let go, the tune was solid. No random shit went wrong. All the fuct parts were swapped out in the previous repairs. The stars align and everything was good.

Would a reasonable person call that reliable?

Hell, even the clutch wearing out could be seen as unreliability. We all know they are consumable, but would it be ok to call 30,000km reliable? Just because its used on a high power car. Every other reliable car on the road gets atleast 3 times that many kms. (Probs closer to 6 times that)

And lets just talk about other high power builds for sec, how often is it you see these type of things happen when people go looking for big numbers? All the time. Things go wrong. Shit happens. Its the nature of it. No one wants a lean out and subsequent meted pistons. No intentionally hooks up remote oil filter/cooler lines backwards and starves a brand new engine of oil. No one intentionally has a rod poke out the side of the block, or a belt tensioner pull out or any number of shit things that can happen. But they do and i have seen all those things. And by the very nature of those things happening, reliability dissapears. Reliability and having a (or many) shitty engine failures are mutaully exclusive.

Tags
banana man, car, jacobs, spoiled custard, yellow