Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2015, 07:47 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLEY View Post
Awesome! I assume you have lengthy arms? :P
not really. I just have the seat in a relatively upright and forward (sensible) position. I can easily reach where the handle will be when im strapped into the seat. (remember, the handle will sit atop the lever pictured.) it is only maybe 10-15 cm past where 1st gear is. And its not like i drive with the gearstick at full stretched arms length away.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:49 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Got sent a pic of the handbrake handle on the mill getting CNCd out on friday. Should be ready soon.

amtrapid likes this.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:38 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Got bored on the weekend and started Project Yeti Sled Wide Body.

Its not gonna be a true wide body conversion, with complete fenders etc. (because no one makes wide body panels for foresters) But its gonna be the next closest thing.

The kit will consist of all my existing STi body panels, including the lower door trims, which actually widen the car about 10mm over standard each side.

Plus ontop of that, the bolt on fender over-flares. These are a 'universal' fitment item i found on the net. They pump each wheel arch about 50-60mm-ish depending on how tight you make the radius of the curve. Not only will these widen the stance of the car and go wider wheels. They will allow me to go lower because once fitted, i can remove the wheel liners, and cut material out of the standard fender both front and rear.

To give the mid section even more girth than STi, i have acquired a set of the very very rare optional STi side skirts. These actually fit over the top of the standard STi skirts. And as such, widen the car another 20-25mm each side at the skirt area. They also hang another 20-25mm lower. These STi side skirts arent designed to have the front STi pods fitted, but i believe they can be made to fit buy carefully scalloping a small section of the curve of the pods. This will widen the area behind the front wheel and tie into the end of the fender flare. And the pods keep it looking aggressive. also the pods will sit 20mm lower due to the skirts hanging lower.

On the rear STi bar, i have aquired a set of the super rare big STi pods. These wrap around the rear bar further than the regular STi pods. But they give the rear bar a smoother, and in my opinion less agressive lines, i think these big pods suit the later SG STi alot better than the early. But i have found a way to fit the regular STi pods over the top of the big STi pods. Thats right, pods ontop of pods. This pumps out that area nicely, and keeps the rear looking aggressive. As crazy as it sounds, pods over pods doesnt actually look bad.

Because of the crazy bolt on flares, and modding the pods to fit the big skirts and big rear pods, the kit wont look OEM smooth. But i think it will look very tough. It will have a kind of in your face home built angry stance. And i think that will look good against the stripped out race car look it has now. The bolts in the bolt on flares, and the stone chips on my already painted pods from this years racing will give it a bit of a raw look. You will see it and know the car gets driven just as hard as it looks.

I have mocked up all the panels today and spent some time looking at it while i fixed the broken driveshaft. (thanks Jake). And ive decided im gonna go for it. Ive drilled the holes into panels already and started cutting metal out of the standard guards (no turning back now). At the front, the over flare actually bolts on up above the first styling bend in the original forester panel. This means i can remove as much as 30mm from the front fender above the wheel at its peak. At the rear i am limited by the metal inner arch. I have cut the outer panel arch back to about 5-10mm lower than where the inner arch seams onto it. This will give me enough meat to re-seam the inner and outer panels back together, I can go as much as 30mm higher in the arch, but that will not leave me much meat to re-seam the panels.

1inch ply wood spacers. because ghetto racecar.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:16 PM
Sir AntiLag

dazdavies knows their stuff

I've done this on two of my previous cars. I know they were GC8's but I have a few pics that may be useful for reference if you'd like me to post them.

Also think you need to change the way the front one sits to make it level but that's just a personal preference kind of thing.

Let me know if you want the pics posting. There's about 20 or so covering the two cars.
amtrapid likes this.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:40 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Tony knows their stuff

+2 on rotating the front fenders counter clockwise a bit. Although i can see why you did them how you have as it looks very neat. Looking forward to seeing it fully painted.
amtrapid likes this.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:08 PM
STI Master

Kremer930 at standard level

Going to be one angry Foz. Any thoughts of a WRC roof wing or dual plane A45 style wings.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:40 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Make me some spacers.

And rotate that thing at the front it's messing my ocd bra.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:28 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

i have intentionally left the front flare tilted more to the rear for a couple of reasons.

1st is a clearance thing. Given how far forward the wheels sit in the arch due to the massive castor the car has, and then wanting to go up to about a 265 width tyre, i need as much clearance in that area to prevent rubbing while at full lock and full suspension bump. Given the way the car rolls when cornering, that is the area that will see the most bump when turning. so i kinda need it out of the way in that area.

The other reason is i like the way it fits like that. the front edge meets up with the line in the bumper, and the rear edge meets up with the inward moulding of the front pod. and it will also offer a kind of 'mud guard' effect to prevent rocks and pickup flicking up onto the side of the car.

I did play around with it and have settled on the way its pictured. I even went to the trouble of unbolting my swaybar, winding the coilover springs fully out the way, then jacking the wheel to bump stop and rolling from lock to lock while measuring clearances. I figure i can go 5mm more inwards, and about 30mm more outwards in this diameter before i have to start raising the car in order to fit that size. I did have dreams of a 295 size. But realistically it will not fit. 265 looks doable.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:30 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdavies View Post
I've done this on two of my previous cars. I know they were GC8's but I have a few pics that may be useful for reference if you'd like me to post them.

Also think you need to change the way the front one sits to make it level but that's just a personal preference kind of thing.

Let me know if you want the pics posting. There's about 20 or so covering the two cars.
It would be awesome if you could link them so we can see. Or maybe email them to me so i can have a geez at how youve done it.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:37 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

need a front lip now. with the low hanging skirts and rear pods, the front looks a litle to 'stock forester' for my liking
Dan [GTI] and amtrapid like this.

Tags
sled, yeti