Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2016, 10:05 AM
Flat Four Father

seagull knows their stuff

What size hose are you running Bram ?
Old 11-12-2016, 10:21 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

-10 hose to the accusump. The fittings currently at the solenoid are 1/2bsp.

-10 for the oil filter relocation and oil coolers. (Is this large enough for the entire flow through the engine?)

-6 in and out of the scavenge pump. I think i will need to go larger here. I think the -6 is too restrictive. And i think pushing into the sump below the oil level also isnt helping.

The mini sump i built below the turbo has -10fittings into it. And -6 out to the scavenge pump.

Last edited by Bram; 17-12-2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:24 AM
Flat Four Father

seagull knows their stuff

Flow rates for the oil pump can be found here

08 STI has 11mm Oil Pump! - NASIOC

It's the friction in the line that is the issue. I will look for a full bore piston type solinoid for you 12 vdc
Bram likes this.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:28 AM
Flat Four Father

XT43 is a guruXT43 is a guruXT43 is a guru

You have a good head for radio.

Well done mate, nice grin at the end haha.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:43 AM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

^lol, harsh. I pictured you to be the nerdy type Bram. Instead you look like you spend weekends at bush doofs

Good work on the videos. Very interesting. Love the PC fans.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:54 AM
STI Master

Jacob92 at standard level

^^You need to get put more hermit

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
TROLLEY likes this.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:01 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLEY View Post
^lol, harsh. I pictured you to be the nerdy type Bram. Instead you look like you spend weekends at bush doofs

Good work on the videos. Very interesting. Love the PC fans.
I used to go to doofs alot and be pretty heavy into psytrance scene and psycadelics when i was younger. But you cant sustain that for too long because you will cook your brain. I havent been to a doof in many years now.
TROLLEY likes this.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:55 PM
Flat Four Father

TROLLEY is a guruTROLLEY is a guru

hah yeh, oldskool raver here myself but didn't partake in drugs all that much. I used to be a drum & bass MC in my youth and everyone just assumed I was on drugs. My mug is sitting in some Channel 7 footage archive from 1995 as well, dancing away with a dust mask on, full of Vics... L O L.
Old 17-12-2016, 07:52 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

I think i have sorted out the oil drain issues i was having last week. I have fitted a 0.035" diameter (0.619mm^2) oil restrictor down from the 1mm (0.785mm^2) restrictor i originally used. The 0.035" is 0.889m diameter. So about a 10% reduction in diameter, or a 22% reduction in cross sectional area and im guessing flow. I also ordered a 0.030" (0.760mm) restrictor just incase. But i dont want to use it unless i absolutely have to, as i dont want to starve the bearings of lubricating (and CHRA cooling) oil any more than i have to. And 0.030" may be just a bit too low.

My oil pressure is really high in this config. Peak oil pressure remains the same at about 6-6.5 bar (standard). BUT I am seeing oil pressures of 4.5bar to 5bar with the engine at 80+ °c at idle. I cant remember what it was previous, but it was alot lower. Like half that? usually around 1.5bar to 2bar i think if i remember right? The only thing i can put it down to is the ridiculously large oil filter i have hanging off the side of the car. Its like 5x times as big as a standard subaru oil filter. Or maybe the oil im using. I have switched to a motul 5w50 away from the penrite 10/tenths. Dunno. But that higher oil pressure could be over oiling the turbo. Garrett recomend 40-45psi (3bar) for the ball bearing GT/GTX turbos. Now i cant actually measure the oil pressure after the restrictor, but i can only assume the 0.035" restrictor is a better match to my oil pressure and oil wieght and the oil flow through the turbos bearing cartridge.

The other thing that i think was causing me turbo oil drain issues was the trouble with the solenoid valve that feeds the accusump. It was bleeding back after engine shutdown. And that would probably cause me problems if its bleeding back with the scavenge pump off. It prob holds 1.5L of oil, and even of only 10% of it bled into the turbo, even that amount could cause the mini sump to be a bit fuller than it should and cause the back up when i next started it. So for todays testing, i did not open the solenoid up to engine pressure. Meaning it will have no oil to bleed back after shutdown. I am still on the hunt for a better solenoid valve. Neil sent me through a picture of a part number he suggested to use. But i havent had any luck in locating it yet.

Another thing i did change is slightly re adjust the clocking angle of the CHRA. Trying to get a more verticle angle out of the drain. I only adjusted it maybe 5°. And i also adjusted the front to back turbo axis angle. Garrett recomend no more than 15° away from horizontal. And the way i had it setup, it was closer to 20° with the turbine side down. I adjusted it as much as i could without having to re-fabricate my pipework. So its now sitting right on the 15° limit recommended by Garrett. And thats still on jack stands, which have the front marginally higher than the rear. Once i get it back on 4 wheels, that angle should reduce a little less than 15°.

So i think all these changes have helped. I guess the real test will be once its actually driving. Right now im doing all the tests in the garage.

If it still is an issue. I will be freeing up the drain fitting. I checked my spare one today and its an AN10 to Garrett style flange. But its inside diameter is a pathetic 12mm. The actual hole coming out the turbo is about 5/8" (~16mm) i think. So that could be a potential bottleneck out of the turbo. Did some googling and Apperently those AN10 style adapters cause alot of turbo drain issues. AN10 hose should be 5/8 ID. But the fittings are actually smaller ID. And i am using 2 x adapers and a weld fitting into my little mini sump i built. So those tighter IDs could be another area to improve on.
TROLLEY and Dan [GTI] like this.

Last edited by Bram; 17-12-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 29-12-2016, 01:36 PM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

I still wasnt 100% happy with the oil drain collector. So I got my TIG on and built a new one out of alloy. Free-er flowing directly out of the turbo. Has more internal volume, which i think is needed as after shutdown there is still a bit of oil in the lines and system that can fill out the collector. And its higher from the ground for better road clearance. Forgot to mention in the video, but approx 120mm to 130mm from the ground. Which on my car the Tein Monoflex's have about 100mm total travel on the front. So, about 50mm of bump travel or so, and similar droop travel. Which means it should give me enough clearance, unless i actually hit something like a curb or go offroad haha. It technically even gives me clearance to the exhaust which is 80mm off the deck at its lowest, which is between the wheels aswell which is better than out front, or mid way between the axles. I may raise the suspension a further 10mm, and when i eventually wear these tyre out I will possibly go up to a 295/35R18, which will give a slight increase there too.

Tags
sled, yeti