Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > Introductions > Your Driveway
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-02-2019, 04:22 AM
Sir AntiLag

dazdavies knows their stuff

Car looks great.
I haven't read the whole thread but are you still using the Hobbs switch for the additional fuel pump?

Not sure why you've done it that way?

I'm doing something similar with and additional fuel pump but mine is all done via the ECU and Map sensor.

I have heard of some horror stories with Hobbs switches failing.

My additional pump comes on when boost goes above 1bar. It then stays on for 5 seconds after boost drops below 1bar. If boost goes back above 1bar in that 5 seconds the timer simply resets when it drops below again.

I also have an engine trip set for low fuel pressure just in case of a pump failing.

I've had this set up working from day one and has worked for around 30,000 with a fair few drag runs and track days as part of that.

Just a suggestion for a safer way to do things.

Last edited by dazdavies; 14-02-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 14-02-2019, 07:53 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Brett Allan knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdavies View Post
Car looks great.
I haven't read the whole thread but are you still using the Hobbs switch for the additional fuel pump?

Not sure why you've done it that way?

I'm doing something similar with and additional fuel pump but mine is all done via the ECU and Map sensor.

I have heard of some horror stories with Hobbs switches failing.

My additional pump comes on when boost goes above 1bar. It then stays on for 5 seconds after boost drops below 1bar. If boost goes back above 1bar in that 5 seconds the timer simply resets when it drops below again.

I also have an engine trip set for low fuel pressure just in case of a pump failing.

I've had this set up working from day one and has worked for around 30,000 with a fair few drag runs and track days as part of that.

Just a suggestion for a safer way to do things.
Thanks Daz.

Yes still using the Hobbs to switch the 3rd pump. Currently set to 18 psi.

The lift pump and the 1st surge pump run together switched with ignition.

I'm in the process of re-wiring the relay panel and neaten it up so probably worth getting the ECU to switch the 3rd pump from MAP.

Are you running the Link in yours?

Image links aren't working for some reason?

Cheers
Old 14-02-2019, 09:46 AM
Sir AntiLag

dazdavies knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Allan View Post
Thanks Daz.

Yes still using the Hobbs to switch the 3rd pump. Currently set to 18 psi.

The lift pump and the 1st surge pump run together switched with ignition.

I'm in the process of re-wiring the relay panel and neaten it up so probably worth getting the ECU to switch the 3rd pump from MAP.

Are you running the Link in yours?

Image links aren't working for some reason?

Cheers
Security cert had expired on my webserver hence no images. Should be sorted now although I had to clear the cache on the pc. I fucking hate computers!!

I'm running the Vipec V88 on mine which is essentially an old Link G4.
I have thought about changing it for something a bit more modern but it does everything I need of it so no reason to swap it out just yet.

My lift pump and one Bosch 044 run on ignition although I've completely binned the OEM fuel controller.

It's dead easy to configure the link to do the third pump. Just do all the relays and run the earth from the 3rd pump relay to one of the GP outputs on the ECU. You can then configure output and the conditions that it is activated. Mine for example comes on at just under a bar. A Simple but effective and pretty reliable solution.
Old 14-02-2019, 10:00 AM
STI Master

Bram knows their stuff

I agree with Daz. If you ECU supports it, then its best to utilise it, rather than hardware switchs and stuff. If its a proper hobbs switch and not a reproduction, then they are actually very reliable in my experience. But its still added complexity and plumbing into the manigold, and wiring into the engine bay that could be simplified and streamlined.
Old 14-02-2019, 05:51 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdavies View Post
Security cert had expired on my webserver hence no images. Should be sorted now although I had to clear the cache on the pc. I fucking hate computers!!

I'm running the Vipec V88 on mine which is essentially an old Link G4.
I have thought about changing it for something a bit more modern but it does everything I need of it so no reason to swap it out just yet.

My lift pump and one Bosch 044 run on ignition although I've completely binned the OEM fuel controller.

It's dead easy to configure the link to do the third pump. Just do all the relays and run the earth from the 3rd pump relay to one of the GP outputs on the ECU. You can then configure output and the conditions that it is activated. Mine for example comes on at just under a bar. A Simple but effective and pretty reliable solution.
Have all the parts arriving hopefully this week, so I'll get it all built and use the ECU to switch the 2nd one. I've got the wiring running from the Hobbs to the rear anyways, so very easy to swap from positive to negative switch for that relay.

Fuel controller is long gone, and I have ordered some nice bulkhead fittings for the lift pump supply going through the tank lid as well as some e85 safe Tefzel wiring

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram View Post
I agree with Daz. If you ECU supports it, then its best to utilise it, rather than hardware switchs and stuff. If its a proper hobbs switch and not a reproduction, then they are actually very reliable in my experience. But its still added complexity and plumbing into the manigold, and wiring into the engine bay that could be simplified and streamlined.
Certainly a genuine item, and from what I have also seen they are pretty robust units even in a mining environment. ECU has the ability to, so I'll get that sorted this break
Old 14-02-2019, 06:12 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick73 View Post
Awesome work car looks amazing. Flex fuel is the way to go it's well worth the effort.
Thanks mate. Very happy with the flex, just for the added convenience really haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewgong View Post
sweet setup man!
Thanks Drew, almost finished

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
Very very nice ride and write up
Cheers
matto20v likes this.
Old 17-02-2019, 11:43 AM
STI Master

matto20v at standard level

Nice power output too. Lane is a great tuner. He tuned my car after another workshop in Malaga gave me a shemozzle of a tune that would struggle to idle.

Really nice power output! How's it feel when off boost?
Brett Allan likes this.
Old 17-02-2019, 07:07 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by matto20v View Post
Nice power output too. Lane is a great tuner. He tuned my car after another workshop in Malaga gave me a shemozzle of a tune that would struggle to idle.

Really nice power output! How's it feel when off boost?
Wasn't Lane that tuned it...

Guy by the name of Mike from WA Racing Developments, he has a workshop just up the road. From what he told me, Race Torque only deal with Motec, Autronic and ECUTEK tuning. He get's all their Link and Vipec work and in exchange can use the AWD dyno.

Very pleased with the tune and service he provided, would definitely recommend him to anyone running a Link/Vipec.

Lane has tuned my mates V5 STI - running an Autronic and it's an absolute rocket.

Thanks Matt, certainly a lot quicker than the previous iteration. Certainly good fun with a heavy right foot!

Off boost it's still very drive-able, no shudders or hesitation at all. Cold start on e85 is fantastic, first crank even when it hasn't been started in a week. Will be keen to see how it goes in the middle of winter.

I've bought the 7cm housing - this will be fitted and re-tuned to suit.

This is mainly for street manners on 98 and better response. When I purchased the turbo it was dedicated e85, but with flex the 7cm is better combo.

Will post an updated chart in the coming weeks

Last edited by Brett Allan; 17-02-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:08 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Not much in the way of the STI updates...

However, picked up a pretty tidy new daily driver;

3.0, H6
211,000 kms
Full Leather
Dual Sunroof

JRecardo and Rslib72 like this.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:27 AM
STI Master

matto20v at standard level

Noice mate!

Tags
my05, sti