Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Elrico at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
Not being a smart ass, but yours failed due to the oil pump trying to pump silicone through the oil galleries & it blew the main oil gallery feed o-rings........Hardly a design fault.

Ej257's were introduced to the US market in the 9/2003 for MY04.

It's worth noting that they started with 300 hp and are now 280hp......Hazard a guess why?
2 spun rod bearings, complete head failure again minus cams. Ill leave it at that for now.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:13 PM

Rossco is a guruRossco is a guru
Send a message via MSN to Rossco

Sux man....Again sorry to hear..
Old 09-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Sir AntiLag

foxey at standard level

I know the jdm market gets the 2lt twin scroll etc etc etc, again you are talking about stock motors, not built ones. As I said at the very start, you need to know exactly what you want to do with the motor before buying/building anything.

If you want a time attack style (or maybe even track) car a 2.5 is going to be the best bet every day of the week. If you want a 300hp street car that can do shitloads of klms perhaps a twin scroll 2lt is where you should be looking, though the 2.5 is not without it's benefits here either. I don't think you can say the 2lt is better in every situation, nor more reliable.

I'm guessing if the cossie 2.2 (increase of 200cc) makes a difference over a standard 2 lt, an increase of another 200cc over that is going to make a difference again, you are talking nearly a 10% increase in displacement here.....

Things do appear to have gone a little off track here though, Tony Knight in SA also has a reputation for building some good motors.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Hurtenstein at standard level

rico, i thought you were talking about the destroked 2.5.

foxey, the 500cc made a huge difference. Even bigger than i thought it would.
And exactly right, i know what the differences between a 207 and a 257 are. And i know what i want.
I just wanted to know who had a clue when it came to building them.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Sign me up!

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxey View Post
I know the jdm market gets the 2lt twin scroll etc etc etc, again you are talking about stock motors, not built ones. As I said at the very start, you need to know exactly what you want to do with the motor before buying/building anything.

Things do appear to have gone a little off track here though, Tony Knight in SA also has a reputation for building some good motors.
yup that is one of the main reasons i went with Tony to build my engine and in saying that i virtually bought a complete long block from him. Sent him every nut and bolt alternator everythng... And he sent it all back on a pallet.

I think if your not happy with anyone locally then this is something you should look at doing.. But remember even if you get an engine from a supplier like cosworth something goes wrong and they dont give a shit... The same applies here, but atleast your much closer to try and sort something out..

Also with your last 2.5 did u sleeve it and CD it??

What was the issue with the engine failing??

I think the built 2.5s have issues with bores cracking and people trying to over rev them, so i think if you stay around 7.5-8k on a really built engine and have some oiling mods done then i cant see you having a future problem..
Old 09-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Flat Four Father

XT43 is a guruXT43 is a guruXT43 is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxey View Post

If you want a time attack style (or maybe even track) car a 2.5 is going to be the best bet every day of the week. If you want a 300hp street car that can do shitloads of klms perhaps a twin scroll 2lt is where you should be looking, though the 2.5 is not without it's benefits here either. I don't think you can say the 2lt is better in every situation, nor more reliable.

I'm guessing if the cossie 2.2 (increase of 200cc) makes a difference over a standard 2 lt, an increase of another 200cc over that is going to make a difference again, you are talking nearly a 10% increase in displacement here.....

Quiet refreshing to read an unbiased opinion!
Old 09-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Hurtenstein at standard level

I only got 700k's out of it with a run in revlimiter of 5k.
It was sleeved and dowled, though the dowling seems to be whats causing the problem.
We've only had a quick look at it so far though, so an exact cause is still yet to be determined.
The lined up rings is what was causing the massive amounts of blow by that i was talking to you about before though.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Sign me up!

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurtenstein View Post
I only got 700k's out of it with a run in revlimiter of 5k.
It was sleeved and dowled, though the dowling seems to be whats causing the problem.
We've only had a quick look at it so far though, so an exact cause is still yet to be determined.
The lined up rings is what was causing the massive amounts of blow by that i was talking to you about before though.
I really dont understand the reason behind dowling as the parts of teh bore that isnt dowled is going to still move around or a point of fatigue or weak point..

A 2.5 imo needs to be CD and dowled to avoid the issue with the bores imo...

but im no engineer...
Old 09-05-2010, 08:09 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

RICOCHET at standard level

I had a similar problem with my last 2.5. I had getting engines built now, so many pricks out there who know a little but not enough. As said though, my old 2.34 (EJ22) was excellent! Good torque and very reliable, revved well and could take a bit of boost. Only problem is now the EJ22 are hard to come by in good nick

I fail at forum Banter just a heads up....
Old 09-05-2010, 08:09 PM
STI Master

SKYHIONPSI at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT43 View Post
Quiet refreshing to read an unbiased opinion!
ya ya ya +1

Tags
builders, crate, list, motor