Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > General WRXing > General Subaru Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree11Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 26-04-2013, 09:35 AM
mao's Avatar
mao mao is offline
Flat Four Father
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Salter Point Western Australia
Posts: 2,036
Thanks: 3
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
mao at standard level
Default

If I am not wrong, it knocks on the first time u brake then it doesnt do it again. And this is repetitive.

Could be any of the below- basically brake pad is not sitting snug:

1) Pads are not fitted properly and snug.Make sure backing plates are fitted and stuck on with brake quiet.
2) Check new pads against the factory ones. If pads clearances, even if slightly off, can cause it to be sitting slightly loose in there.

Hope it helps u out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ999 View Post
Ok here's a review of the pads.

HPXs - do not use on a track but ok for street use.
A1RMs great for both street and track.

Here's my experience of QFM...I ordered both front and rear HPXs, they rears fitted fine but the backing plate on the front brembos were too big and would not go in...After some back n forth emailing/calling got sent A1RMs for the fronts, same $hit...backing plate too big...had to grind them down to make them fit in the standard brembo.

Having said that, the A1RMs stop great once warmed up and not too bad when cold.
I just wish QFM woudl have some better quality control for what comes out of their factory, it was only too long by a few millimetres.
Next time I'll go with PMus, will probably save me the f#%$# around time.

Now I need to investigate a knock that I hear when I press on the brake pedal the first time, it's like when you reverse the car and as soon as you touch the pedal it makes a single knock, then stops and when you roll forwards it does it once too then no more. I'm wondering if the guys who changed the brakes din't leave something loose in the shoes or smtg of the sort... Anyone had this before? it stops fine..just that annoying single knock that's heard everytime I reverse.
RJ999 likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 26-04-2013, 11:31 AM
RJ999's Avatar
Subaru Tech Division
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: MyHomeIsWhereYouAre
Posts: 1,112
Thanks: 93
Thanked 38 Times in 35 Posts
RJ999 at standard level
Default

Cheers Mao....that's exactly what it's doing.

I'll take it back to MaxM to have a look on Monday...it might just be a bit loose.

Next time I'll pop in for some off the shelf PMus :-)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-05-2013, 10:45 PM
RJ999's Avatar
Subaru Tech Division
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: MyHomeIsWhereYouAre
Posts: 1,112
Thanks: 93
Thanked 38 Times in 35 Posts
RJ999 at standard level
Default

Mao thanks so much for the HC+ pads...they are the bomb, awesome stopping power.

Wish I never wasted money on QFM crap...

Warning for everyone here not to use QFM brakes.
s20525xxx and Slap Dash like this.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Jeckle's Avatar
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Collie
Posts: 1,315
Thanks: 30
Thanked 35 Times in 33 Posts
Jeckle at standard level
Default

Bit of a review on some Hawke DTC-30 brake pads from Wolf Racing (on here as a vendor)

Previous pads, Bendix ultimates, QFM AR1Ms.

Pads all round $445 delivered to the south west, which was fine, but 10 working days for delivery is worth keeping in mind, 3 days from Perth, but delivery was free (inc) so not to bad.

Fitting, after the QFM, these were a breeze, as per above comments, I had to file the "paint" off the side of the QFM pads for them to fit, the Hawkes fitted straight in, not that the filing was a problem, couple of minutes and same same.

Bedding in, all easy to do and no issues.

Today I drove up to Perth to get a bit of work to be done, the Hawkes were fitted and bedded in yesterday, along with DBA 4000 T3s on the fronts.

Initial thoughts, cold brakes first application at 5am on a foggy 10c, worked as good as the other pads, or even better.

In Perth traffic, I did find it a little hard to gently modulate the braking at say 20 kph to stop in the early morning traffic, but after a bit of practice, I had little issue, after the first say 10% of pressure you had all the braking you could want.

Noise, about 1 in four low speed applications made the look at me brake squeal, but as these are race pads, meh.

I did have a couple of "emergency" type stops, and at the front of the car, had little issue, more the worry, was the rear end, as the brakes stopped me in a hurry, probably faster than the car behind could achieve, except possibly Tino in his Fezza, chirping the front tyres, this hasn't happened with the other pads on the same tyres.

All in all, they offer strong braking, perhaps a bit to strong, if that's possible, but looking forward to TSW, and a track day any will provide info on what I find.

Dust, didn't check and not overly worried about this.
__________________
Race Torque Dyno 399 NM, 248Kw @ 20PSI

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-05-2013, 10:23 AM
RJ999's Avatar
Subaru Tech Division
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: MyHomeIsWhereYouAre
Posts: 1,112
Thanks: 93
Thanked 38 Times in 35 Posts
RJ999 at standard level
Default

Just a bit of an update on this...QFM wasn't at fault in what happened, they are good brakes for what they are, although I still rate the PMus better as nothing in this world can compare with PMus.

The issue was that MaximumMS grinded too much off the A1RMs and it was literally floating in the brake shoes...No wonder the pads were knocking around the pins, touching the rotors constantly while driving, and making horrible noise. There was about 4-5mm gap in there!

The paint off the PMus had to be taken off too but done properly it's less than a millimetre and sits snug in the Brembos!

When I took it back to MMS, I got the "what you want me to do about it" attitude and got fed some B*$hit about how the brembo pistons work thus creating the knocking, movement in the shoe, and constant sqeal without even touching the brake pedal! Biggest load of B*$hit I've ever heard, just wouldn't own up and say that too much was shaved off the pads.

They will say they don't like it when you bring your own parts, but ffs they told me to go get the QFMs and bring them in for fitting, I had no idea QFM even existed before then.
Obviously they didn't supply the part so they wouldn't take responsibility for messing it up.

Now don't get me wrong about MMS, this is just an unfortunate part of it, they did do a great job on the rest of the car with fitting the sways etc etc...
It's a good workshop but just the customer service/conscience is lacking and don't expect to get help if they fk something up. I will use them again depending on what I need done and with more thought.

Other tuners take more responsibility for what they do.

On the other hand, +1111s to GSL RallySport for following through with their customers on their purchases and assisting in every way possible, they care and make sure that you are happy and all is working well. They back their sales and customer service.
Also huge +1111111s to Mao like I mentioned in my previous post, great customer service, care, and knowledge.

Like I got told by other PWRX members - choose your tuner/mechanic before anything else!

Learning curves...seems like everyone has had these kind of issues somewhere somehow sometime...so I make peace with it now


Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ999 View Post
Wish I never wasted money on QFM crap...

Warning for everyone here not to use QFM brakes.

Last edited by RJ999; 08-05-2013 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-05-2013, 11:06 AM
gslrallysport's Avatar
Vendor
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 346
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gslrallysport at standard level
Default

No problem at all mate, appreciate the follow up!

With regards to comparing the two brands, we do both and it depends entirely on what they're being used for, and the budget. $150 in QFM gets you a pad that most people can do track work on, yet $150 in a PMu won't even get you a high end street pad...

There's a reason why we do 17 different brands of pads, they've all got their own strengths and weaknesses!

Anything we can do to help just let me know!

Cheers,
Greg
__________________
- GSL RallySport - 1300 884 836 -www.gslrallysport.com -
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-05-2013, 09:12 AM
RJ999's Avatar
Subaru Tech Division
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: MyHomeIsWhereYouAre
Posts: 1,112
Thanks: 93
Thanked 38 Times in 35 Posts
RJ999 at standard level
Default

The hawkes sound like good brakes too....probably just a little noisy for town traffic, the a1rms were a bit noisy too but that's what track pads are like when you're not brakig hard.

I have to say I'm very happy with the PMus and they have very little noise (almost never squeal, maybe just once in a day!) for a half street half track pad...I'm very impressed with them, now I understand why they're rated as the best.
You should try PMus next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeckle View Post
Bit of a review on some Hawke DTC-30 brake pads from Wolf Racing (on here as a vendor)

Previous pads, Bendix ultimates, QFM AR1Ms.

Pads all round $445 delivered to the south west, which was fine, but 10 working days for delivery is worth keeping in mind, 3 days from Perth, but delivery was free (inc) so not to bad.

Fitting, after the QFM, these were a breeze, as per above comments, I had to file the "paint" off the side of the QFM pads for them to fit, the Hawkes fitted straight in, not that the filing was a problem, couple of minutes and same same.

Bedding in, all easy to do and no issues.

Today I drove up to Perth to get a bit of work to be done, the Hawkes were fitted and bedded in yesterday, along with DBA 4000 T3s on the fronts.

Initial thoughts, cold brakes first application at 5am on a foggy 10c, worked as good as the other pads, or even better.

In Perth traffic, I did find it a little hard to gently modulate the braking at say 20 kph to stop in the early morning traffic, but after a bit of practice, I had little issue, after the first say 10% of pressure you had all the braking you could want.

Noise, about 1 in four low speed applications made the look at me brake squeal, but as these are race pads, meh.

I did have a couple of "emergency" type stops, and at the front of the car, had little issue, more the worry, was the rear end, as the brakes stopped me in a hurry, probably faster than the car behind could achieve, except possibly Tino in his Fezza, chirping the front tyres, this hasn't happened with the other pads on the same tyres.

All in all, they offer strong braking, perhaps a bit to strong, if that's possible, but looking forward to TSW, and a track day any will provide info on what I find.

Dust, didn't check and not overly worried about this.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Jeckle's Avatar
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Collie
Posts: 1,315
Thanks: 30
Thanked 35 Times in 33 Posts
Jeckle at standard level
Default

HCs are almost $200 a set more, but though I would give these a go and as you suggest, the PMus will be next.
__________________
Race Torque Dyno 399 NM, 248Kw @ 20PSI

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 28-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Jeckle's Avatar
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Collie
Posts: 1,315
Thanks: 30
Thanked 35 Times in 33 Posts
Jeckle at standard level
Default

My thoughts on The Hawkes I used in QTSW.

Awesome. They worked from cold. Our first real brake point was at the left hander at the spectator point and they worked well, could have braked later and still made the corner.

In Manjimup and Pemberton, which was alot of square corners, I had no brake fade at all.

All of this needs to be related back to my limited top speed of 130kph, which I did try to stick to.

Dust, yes they make dust, but on black rims meh.

Noise. Most brake applications at low speeds made lots of noise.

Disc wear, not really sure if I can comment on this, there were a few little heat cracks, and no problems with bluing of the disc.

Need to try the PMus, which are considered the Advan 050 of the brake world, but happy with the Hawke product.

That all said, the QFMs will go back in as a road pad, and as per the GSL post this isn't a comparison with the AR1Ms.
__________________
Race Torque Dyno 399 NM, 248Kw @ 20PSI

Straight roads are for fast cars, twisty roads are for fast drivers. I have or am neither.

http://tttmsp.smugmug.com/
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 28-05-2013, 02:34 PM
drewgong's Avatar
STI Master
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 528
Thanks: 119
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
drewgong at standard level
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ999 View Post
Just a bit of an update on this...QFM wasn't at fault in what happened, they are good brakes for what they are, although I still rate the PMus better as nothing in this world can compare with PMus.

The issue was that MaximumMS grinded too much off the A1RMs and it was literally floating in the brake shoes...No wonder the pads were knocking around the pins, touching the rotors constantly while driving, and making horrible noise. There was about 4-5mm gap in there!

The paint off the PMus had to be taken off too but done properly it's less than a millimetre and sits snug in the Brembos!

When I took it back to MMS, I got the "what you want me to do about it" attitude and got fed some B*$hit about how the brembo pistons work thus creating the knocking, movement in the shoe, and constant sqeal without even touching the brake pedal! Biggest load of B*$hit I've ever heard, just wouldn't own up and say that too much was shaved off the pads.

They will say they don't like it when you bring your own parts, but ffs they told me to go get the QFMs and bring them in for fitting, I had no idea QFM even existed before then.
Obviously they didn't supply the part so they wouldn't take responsibility for messing it up.

Now don't get me wrong about MMS, this is just an unfortunate part of it, they did do a great job on the rest of the car with fitting the sways etc etc...
It's a good workshop but just the customer service/conscience is lacking and don't expect to get help if they fk something up. I will use them again depending on what I need done and with more thought.

Other tuners take more responsibility for what they do.

On the other hand, +1111s to GSL RallySport for following through with their customers on their purchases and assisting in every way possible, they care and make sure that you are happy and all is working well. They back their sales and customer service.
Also huge +1111111s to Mao like I mentioned in my previous post, great customer service, care, and knowledge.

Like I got told by other PWRX members - choose your tuner/mechanic before anything else!

Learning curves...seems like everyone has had these kind of issues somewhere somehow sometime...so I make peace with it now
Hold onto your flywheel! lolz
__________________
06 sti
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brake, pads

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Mu HD High Performance Brake Pads and Rotors and G-Four 335 Brake Fluid mao Evolution R 52 14-06-2013 05:22 AM
QFM Brake Pads - OEM, HPX, A1RM and Comp! gslrallysport GSL Rallysport and Sales 6 12-02-2013 09:08 AM
Happy Halloween!! 20% off European made Remsa pads this week! gslrallysport GSL Rallysport and Sales 0 31-10-2012 09:26 AM
ACRE JAPAN - Brake Pads Vision R The Former Workshops Forum 12 07-02-2009 02:53 PM



Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO