Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

Sorry morgan, 2001.

Stace, yes, we have had this conversation, I do like the idea of the V7 sti engine, just need to get one in good nick, low km (under 40K) for a good price. I have heard varying estimates on price for these from 3K to 7K. I would pay 4-5K for one I think.

However, the more I read about the EJ22 the more I like, sounds like they are a bit hard to get hold of though.

either way I think its going to be expensive.
Old 04-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Singsing

well i have had the fortune (or misfortune) of having had a v7 sti as well as having an ej22T based engine with AVCS.

as for AVCS - GET IT. you will reap the benefits of better spool and better low down. if you already have an ecu that can control avcs.. it will only be the wiring to contend with. not to mention having to pay a few hundred bucks to motec to unlock the avcs functionality of the ecu.. (rip off!!!)

as for cams and valve train... if you are seriously going to spend money on this... then DO IT NOW. not later. because you will regret it!! doing it later means taking out the engine and lots of money !! what i did was import a set of jdm v7 sti spec C heads. these have bigger intake ports. have a look at www.kelford.co.nz and the AVCS cams they make. dont think you will need a valvetrain to rev to 9000... thats just a pipe dream... unless you have a tank sized turbo... the stg 1 axis valve train with a nice set of upgraded avcs cams revving to 8k will be sufficient.

i had a bad feeling about teh ej257s and i am so glad i avoided them like the plague. there are so many ppl blowing them up left right and centre!!! pistons are crap etc...

in my opinion only.... i would go for an ej22T based engine... they are closed deck from the factory and are tough. Axis puts together a nice package and the pistons are seriously not noisy at all. you would be hard pressed to hear them as forgies when warmed up. if you want to run big boost... you wont be scared! i went for the stg 4 which is a stroker to 2.35 L. a very nice compromise between a 2.5L and a 2L
Old 04-09-2005, 05:34 PM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

the problem u face pete if u go the EJ22 option is finding a closed deck short block. Subaru discontinued its production in the last few months. so im unsure if ron@ axis is still able to use them. I know that quirk from crawford perfomance is now using the EJ25 in place of the EJ22.

Like hein said the EJ25 with pistons and rods would be a good option. And i also agree with stace. u can easily run 1.5bar boost on a STI EJ205, i was doin that for 25,000kms with no problems and even ran 1.8bar a couple of times for the drags. Engine is in perfect condition.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:29 PM
Singsing

you mean ej207 dont you.

no harm in trying to get an ej22t. they have been stock piling before production was discontinued as this was an expected thing.

plus is.. you get a new engine.

a NEW ej207 is over $4400 from subaru directly. at least that is what i paid a couple of years ago.

a used engine is obviously a used engine.

its your choice what you can live with
Old 04-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Subaru Tech Division

TopGear at standard level

can i just ask what is a ej207 ???
Old 04-09-2005, 08:08 PM
Subaru Tech Division

POLARBEAR666 at standard level

I would get the AVCS 2L as Tuna suggests. The AVCS heads are by far the highest flower ever... if you get off a V8 STI then they are the highest flowing of the AVCS engines.. As a whack it in no worries proposition this is the best. If you can afford to get a 2.5 and get better rods and pistons this might be good also, however you willl probably max out your heads with a 2.5. Whereas with teh AVCS you wont have that problem. on my 2.5 my max power is at 5500 because my heads run out of flow...then power starts dropping.. so i really need Jun cams and or ported heads now.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:03 PM
cheating_gets_it_faster

I got my EJ207 from regents in osbourne park straight off the crate for $2500.

Semi closed deck, factory forged internals (crank, pistons etc..)

Well worth it IMHO
Old 04-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Sign me up!
Barge Master

pmh at standard level

bottom ends come with the cams?
Old 04-09-2005, 10:28 PM
cheating_gets_it_faster

Sorry...clarify

I bought my EJ207 Short motor for $2500
Old 05-09-2005, 07:53 AM
Subaru Tech Division

207 de at standard level

ok. Plenty of options here. It is now a matter of finding the stuff.

If I get a ej207 short block, I still need to utilise my std bottom end, valve train and intake manifold? Not quite as good as a complete V7/V8 sti motor (not incl all bits hanging off it).....But its a new block?

Complete V7/V8 sti long motor, minus bits hanging off, differcult/expensive to get hold of new?

EJ22 block plus pistons plus valve train, what about the bottom bit...Cant use mine, it will be inferior yeah? and will need an intake manifold as well.. This is a good option but can see it costing...

Will be heading into speedworks to get a boost control solinoid and overboosting issue sorted will quiz them re an sti motor, leak down test and motor work will probably be done at RT. Will ask them too, see what we can get round here or OS re sti long motors or other options.

Thx for constructive imput. Keep ideas, costs, who to see coming.

Tags
build, buy