Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By grape juice
  • 2 Post By Satie12

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2015, 10:53 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

SolarFilms at standard level
Arrow Suspension 101 Coil-overs Vs Lowered spings

Hey guys Im after some new suspension all though I'm leaning to get full tein coilovers from what I heard its alot of man hours to get that perfect setting and chances are I wont be happy with it until multiple trys especially with car that I want as daily and week end warrior it around a track

Has anyone got quotes for instillation and tweaks ? would interested if you could drop em here

So with this in mind I'm now considering to get lowered springs ultimately I'm after lower, harder and sporty kind of feel (Getting Sway bars Already)

Dont want to be constantly mucking around with dampening settings because that pissed me of when I rode motorcross

Would love to save the extra $1000 and put it to something header or exhaust related but not fussed end of the day.

Would love to hear everyone's experiences.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:30 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

grape juice at standard level

I think choice with suspension honestly come down to what you want to get out of them. This is just my opinion.

Coilovers:
Teins, HSD's, are both pretty proven options to be had for under 2k. HSD around 1500 teins a touch more.
KW seem to be the best bang for buck for around 3k, but absolute overkill if you're car doesn't see the track often.

Coilovers can be installed yourself and I believe if you had a shop set them up you wouldn't need to tweek them often.

If you're just looking at springs, there's specials on eibach pro kits and Tein S tech for around $400 locally. You'll get about an inch drop with them and I believe they're slightly stiffer than standard.

To summarise
if you're after a slightly lower, stiffer set up. Go the springs <$500
if you're after a slightly lower, stiffer set up with the option of adjustability go the HSD's/Teins or a sub 2k coilover.
if you're after a big improvement on handling for track days or you've got money to burn go KW for around 3k
davidsdh and SolarFilms like this.

"All in relation to nothing. Nothing in relation to infinity. A central point to both, And infinitely far from understanding either."
The Following User Says Thank You to grape juice For This Useful Post:
SolarFilms (04-03-2015)
Old 06-03-2015, 09:08 AM
STI Master

spikey at standard level
Default coilovers

if it is just for looks go lowered springs, but if you want to track it then go coilovers, they are more versatile with precise height and damper adjustment, I find once you put a set of springs in and if it is not the ride height that you like, there is not much you can do about it.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:39 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Satie12 at standard level

If you are mainly using your ride for track use then coilovers would be your best bet!

But if your looking for a good ride height plus a bit of track use 'king springs' would be the choice for you.

I'm running lowered king springs, they are stiff enough to take to the track and feel great while driving especially around corners/bends at 4000rpm without sacrificing the comfort of a smooth ride,

I haven't driven a subie with coil overs but I have driven other cars with coil overs and wasn't the most comfortable drive.. But really comes down to personal preference and how you set them.

I would take a good set of lowered springs over coilovers!
But in the end it's really your choice

using the Perth-WRX mobile app
Soksta and SolarFilms like this.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:01 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Soksta is a guruSoksta is a guru

Gone from lowered springs to coilovers to struts/springs and then back to stock.

If you aren't tracking it then lowering springs will be more than enough, just don't drop the car by 2 inches, up to an inch should be ok but I'm not too sure on how it will affect the longevity of the struts.

If you want to save some money, it isn't a hard task to jack up the car, replace the springs and chuck the struts back in.
An alignment will be recommended afterwards, so you should also factor that into the cost.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:29 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

joshrx at standard level

unless you're at track frequently, coilovers are a harsh way of meeting your goals. yes they are optimum for tuning and adjustable, but you will feel every little bump in the road, your passengers will feel every bump in the road... etc.

Drop it 1-2 inches on good quality springs (keep in mind fender clearances), add sway bars 40-100% stiffer (so 2-4mm larger iirc) so you'll get the less roll but still have a softer ride on the road. use adjustable sways if you can for fine tuning.

Spend the extra cash on tyres and/or track days.

Tags
101, coilovers, lowered, spings, suspension