Thread: Budget for mods
View Single Post
Old 15-07-2005, 09:50 AM
STI Master

Giddyup at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato
Hey guys,

I've currently got a stock MY05 WRX and I am trying to budget for some modifications to give it a bit more poke and styling.

I want to keep the car reliable and somewhat quiet at low revs, as it is my daily driver and I'm not looking for massive power (yet... )

I'm basically after lowering the car, maybe a boost controller and putting a nice exhaust on it (one that is "quiet" at low revs and makes some noise when I am mashing the 'go' pedal). However, I've been told with my car fitting an exhaust alone will ruin the fuel ecconomy, as the standard ECU thinks there is a problem (please correct me if that is wrong). As such I would need a new/piggyback ECU and if I'm doing that I would probably look at changing the induction as well.

Any ideas of what to do, if I need to do all these mods and an idea of cost will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

John.
Putting a budget on car modification....................... yeah thats a good one. It's the biggest money pit you'll ever have but I tell ya, it's fun for all.

One of the first things you should do would be getting an exhaust (let the bitch breath a little). There are no one in particular that you should go for as everyone has different tastes. It's best to go to a meet up or to with this mongral mob and have a listen to the different exhausts and see what you like. Then shop around and find the one you like. Cost = anywhere from less than 1k to a few k. Do you want full stainless steel (s/s) or mild steel, turbo back or cat back??? decisions decisions.

As for fuel economy from sticking an exhaust on, it hardly makes a difference at all and if it does, I didn't notice it. Maybe a cold air intake (CAI) perhaps you could fit. Cost = 200ish. If the exhaust is to loud, stick in a silencer perhaps.

As for lowering it, you can go mild or wild. It all depends on what you want to do and what you want the car to do. You could go get just a set of springs and lower it a little which looks nice or go nuts and get a full coilover system, it all depends. Best bet is to read up as much as you can and pick everyone elses brain bout stuff, thats what I did/do.

You can pick up heaps of bargains secopnd hand, you don't need NEW all the time, sometimes it's best (turbo/exhaust) but other stuff like ecu/springs/intercoolers depemding on how old work just fine second hand.

Enjoy
Dan.