View Single Post
Old 28-01-2007, 06:24 AM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

ok so Saturday myself, stace, smokah and ryan headed down to pull the car apart some more.

what we were left from last time was 2/3rds of the loom pulled apart and sitting in the foot well.

we finished disconnecting shit from the engine bay and pulled them through the grommets in the firewall. the loom in these cars was much bigger than any of us had seen before, probably due to the GT's electric everything, and bulked out further by its 19 speaker surround sound system. but it all came out eventually

thats a whole lot of wire!

now to the fun bit, pulling the engine out! we needed to get to the gearbox mount, so the cooler had to come off. a few bolts later, and one cooler pretty unique to the subaru family is out

we discovered there was no real need to remove the gearbox mount, the japanese driver had done a fair old job of that himself

we disconnected the brake lines, abs gear, earth straps and any other bits hanging on, and prepared to drop the motor. It's very important at this point to note that at no point during the operation should you put your beer down

we bolted the entire halfcut to the roof with block and tackle, and held the engine up with an eng crane

undo the cross members, and slowly lower the engine

congrats, you have now conquered a half cut

a few things to note, i'll need some new control arms as i think the ones from the half cut are no good.

good for 7 degrees camber!!

while it was just sitting there i pulled off the heat shield and got my first good view of my new turbo

next up we have to go through the whole process again with my GX, strip out the wiring loom and remove the old motor. fun!