View Single Post
Old 30-01-2007, 08:14 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

Rex-io at standard level
Default Myth Busters - Air Intake

With a little help of the ODBII cable and the Tari logging software I've decided to test on a stock MY00 whether the removal of the kidney shaped resonator will improve the ammount of air sucked in by the engine.

Yesterday I went for a first test ride with the resonator still firmly attached. With recorded air temp as well as the intake air temp (which was constantly monitored for accuracy) i squeezed everything i could out of third gear (don't know why i've chose third, i'm sure i'd get more boost in 4th but i would probably be doing around 160kmh and risking loosing the license so i stuck to the 3rd ). With the samples being recorded every 20 miliseconds or so i recorded the boost pressure (air intake temp as stated above, ambient temp), RPM, speed, and most importantly the voltage read by the AFM (the more air being sucked the higher the value).

I intend to remove the resonator over the next few days and as longs as i get similar weather conditions as yesterday i will be repeating the test to either bust this myth once and for all or as i suspect...to confirm it!! stay tuned!! (hopefully your cars are too)

If anyone is interested, and can supply me with, i can also test Apexi/blitz or any other higher flowing ones, replacement filters (since i've got the stock subaru one).

Disclaimer:

Please note i'm not a qualified car tuner, just a bush/backyard (cowboy)mechanic, i'm not associated with Verso, Ecutek, Apexi,Blitz, McDonalds or KFC.

Last edited by Rex-io; 30-01-2007 at 08:22 AM.