View Single Post
Old 27-03-2007, 02:12 PM
STI Master

Smokey at standard level

Shouldnt really need to do this, most people die because theyre driving unroadworthy cars, driving too fast for their car, not wearing a seatbelt, dui...

The amount of shit boxes that are on our roads and that would be classed as road worthy is amazing.

My ex used to work in the bush on student prac, and she had a 1994 era camry. I told her she needed to get a better car, because her car handled like a shit (was a floaty pos) and that she was going to roll it going the speed limit on those roads. She couldnt afford new suspension and her dad wouldnt pay for it as he reckoned it was roadworthy.

Long story short, couple of months after we broke up, she hit some birds feeding on the straw in the middle of the road (dropped by hay trucks) and rolled it into the trees. She was air lifted to hospital and besides some scars ended up being ok.

Moral of the story:
If we had a decent set of standards for the conditions of cars on our roads and the facilities to conduct regular mandatory checks, i doubt this car would of been on the road.

People are probably going to tell me that its up to the driver to make sure their car is road worthy. But in the real world that doesnt work because dumb people arnt forced to fix their cars, and the economics of it make it easier just to drive it.

Mandatory checks = more volume = cheaper prices = more people can drive truely roadworthy cars = lower road toll and cops can get on with their real job.

Also, it shouldnt be up to the cops to find every defective car on the road, thats an impossible task and just wastes their time.

/rant

Last edited by Smokey; 27-03-2007 at 02:16 PM.