View Single Post
Old 23-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Subaru Tech Division

MKVIGTI at standard level

I will get flamed for it cos none of you will agree with me but my stepdad was involved with an advance driver training program for a while in Adelaide ( was an driving instructor for 10 years ).

They had a couple of cars with a frame on either end with a jack and aircraft wheel at each corner so they could vary the grip from all to none at either end or side.

Result was you could induce oversteer, understeer or simulate braking on a very slippery surface but do it at relitively low speed. If you really lost it you just drop all the weight back on the wheels and it stopped. All very safe and controled. ( reverse bootlegs were fun )

End result of a few days playing with this thing.

IF YOU LOOSE IT STEP ON THE CLUTCH FIRST ( NEUTRAL IN AN AUTO )

If you are completely spinning THEN hit the brakes.

No if you induce it intentionaly this is not necisarily what to do as you are aiming to balance it but if it happens by accident you imediatly remove any accelaration or braking force and allow the wheels to turn freely and regain grip.

If the wheels are locked or spinning you have next to no grip available.

NO 1 GET THE GRIP BACK SO YOU CAN STEER TO AVOID ANY OBSTICALS.

ONLY SLAM ON THE BRAKES IF YOU ARE COMPLETELY OUT OF CONTROL.

STEPPING ON THE GAS HARDER WHEN YOU ARE ALREADY OUT OF CONTROL. UNLESS YOU DRIVE LIKE PETER SOLBERG YOU FIGURE OUT THE RESULT.

I did not belive this initialy and took a little beating into me but it does work and it has since saved my ass.