View Single Post
Old 16-08-2007, 06:38 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Goofy at standard level

The most important thing to remember is that a Dealership is a business, and as a business it must turn a profit. This doesn't mean that customer service should go out the window, quite the opposite. Ask the Dealership what they can do for you, why should you buy a car from them?

- Find the car that you want yourself, if there is nothing there that you like then ask, if there is still nothing then walk away, don't waste your time.

- Most Salesman have monthly targets. I always try to buy vehicles towards the end of the month when they need to get the numbers up. This is where cash works in your favour as they don't have to wait for finance.

- Test drive, ask as many questions as you can and try to guage what kind of feel the dealership has about the car. Most Salespeople won't sell a dodgy car to someone they like, they will want to get you something you'll be happy with so that you'll come back. Referral is a salespersons best friend, repeat business is better.

- Talk to the guys in the workshop about the car as any good dealership will change the oil/filter, clean out the air filter or replace it, fix any little niggling problems and give the car a general going over.

- feel free to haggle price. The only negative response you're likely to get is an outright "no". A Dealer won't sell you something if it's not good for them to do so.

This is just a guide as to what I would do, I've probably missed a few things though. I have worked in a dealership before and was quite successful ( #1 Ducati Salesman in WA #2 in Australia) but that was with bikes. However I don't see how car dealerships would be much different.