View Single Post
Old 18-09-2007, 09:21 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

97RA at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato
I'm happy to be corrected, but that reverse scoop will do stuff all, other than aid you in getting a yellow sticker.
Yep, the authorities are NOT over keen on anything that has the potential to splash hot water, oil or other nasties in your field of view at high speeds, can't imagine why.

This is the prime reason for the eternal GC whinge 'the bastards stickered me for removing the vent backings'.

If you ever had the experience of something giving way with open venting on a bonnet you would understand, oh and BTW it never happens while you're just putting down to the shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato
For proof that speed holes in your bonnet can make a difference, look at a WRC car. They optimise everything they can. But then you need to look at the whole picture again (
Yeah, the main area of attention for the WRC cars is trapping and diverting hot air from the radiator before it has a chance to flow over the motor.

The environment around the engine is pretty much sealed (take a look at how little air can enter a WRC or ARC car from underneath).

The motor is not a prime culprit in under bonnet temps with subis. The BBQ area around the up-pipe, turbine housing and first half metre of dump pipe are the real culprits. Wraps and coatings can have a good effect on these.

All this aside, in a track situation I still think a design like this (not necessarily this one) might be more effective for a TMIC than anyone realises.