View Single Post
Old 14-11-2007, 12:16 PM
STI Master

perthzed at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinga
Ok thanks to Colbey for some good pricing on the HP stuff, and to Chris for some advise as well. Ended up with a Sony VAIO 15.4" with T7500CPU, 2G RAM, 200GB hard drive and GeForce8400 with 512M video, wireless/Bluetooth and camera for $1600 delivered.

1) Can you guys tell me my next step for getting internet and wireless sorted at home? ie I assume I need some sort of wireless router modem thingy to transmit the wi fi stuff to the lappy. I want to organise this while I am waiting on the Laptop to arrive.

2) Work pays for my home phone and will pay for internet as well. Currently we have the home phone with AAPT and it would be nice to bundle the home phone and internet with one provider. Whats AAPT broadband packages like or better question what sort of specs should I look at for a broadband service. Just net surfing, downloading music and eventually I'll get into downloading movies etc I guess.

I know I'm too old for this shit
You need a wireless broadband modem/router. Just go to any computer shop and they should have them. Netgear or Dlink are a good option.

Most ISPs have similar pricing/packages, shop around, but maybe go for a 2mps link with say 5gb download limit. That sounds like a lot, but ISPs sting you for browsing, emails and any audio/video streaming you do also gets added to your downloads so you soon use that 5gb up.