Thread: Subaru Diesel
View Single Post
Old 14-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRX
Yes, well to me my engine never sees the under side of 3200rpm, except when idling. Howmuch torque does it have at 7500 rpm? If it had that much then it would be making serious power... or is that when it goes bang, from such a long stroke and such heavy (but robust) engine componets.

Anyway as Tim said, they are great for just driving around slowly, give great fuel consumption if driven sedately. Diesel engines have loads of torque low down, but because of the long stroke required to get such high combustion pressures, their ability to revv is far less, due to being so far over square. The piston speed is too high.
They are also great, when designed to operate at a fixed speed, like generators.

Me personally, i love the feeling and sound of a engine going up to and past 7000 rpm
Why are revs so important to you? Just because an engine makes all its power between 1000 and 4000rpm, does that make it shit?

Most diesel's have extra gear ratios to keep the engine in its power band. 6 speed's are the norm, auto and manual.

You dont have to rev them to go quick, and most diesels will be just as quick as their petrol counterparts, but with a LOT more torque, which makes them more driveable around town and a lot more enjoyable to drive. You get a real push in the back sensation, more than with a petrol engine.

Over square, heavy engine components and long stroke? Thats making some huge generalisations. Many diesels have forged pistons and alloy heads, just like good petrol performance engines.

You can drive a diesel around VERY quickly, with very little rpm. They don't have to be driven slow.

In fact, in my uncles Audi A6 diesel, I drove it around and averaged across two tanks, just under 10 litres per 100km. That included 75% city driving, and the rest freeway driving. It even included a Fri nite cruise that involved a LOT of heavy acceleration. Yes, gearchanges were at 4500rpm, but it hauled arse below that!!!

I'm not arguing about this any further, but let me just say, you best be test driving some modern euro diesels...you might be pleasantly surprised.