View Single Post
Old 07-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Just got back from this trip today. Picked up a new truck in Melbourne and drove back in 2 nights 3 days. Drove melbourne to port augusta (1100 k's) Port augusta to norseman (1850 k's) and then Norseman to perth via kalgoorlie (900 k's).

Would definately do it again but apart from a 3 minute photo session at the bight there is absolutely nothing of note between port augusta and norseman. If I was doing it again I would do the following:

Car with cruise control.
Definately take a bull bar. I had one and did not use it but still made me feel safer.
Engel
Decent maps
Decent radio with either ipod or heaps of cds.
radar detector (they are illegal in vic)
Some semblence of food. Truckstop food progressively gets worse.

Not to say that we did not have some of the above but I would make sure that I had all of these if I was doing it again.

In terms of distance if I was going perth to melbourne I would go perth to adelaide in one go (22 hours non stop in a car) and then adelaide to melbourne (8 hours).

We were in a brand new truck (weighbridge ticket to follow but I am betting overweight aswell) with no number plates on either the truck or the trailer (photos to follow) and fair to say we were a long way over the speed limit and despite seeing 2 dozen + police we never got pulled over once.

I did it with the GF (she got her learners permit so she could drive) and it would have been a monumental pain in the ass to do it one up. 2 up ftw.

Brendon