Thread: Mazda SP23
View Single Post
Old 29-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

My mrs has an SP23.

A bit of history. When she got the car in 2004, there was nothing available for it in the way of performance. As I was selling a lot of suspension and other performance stuff at the time, I kept on the suppliers pretty hard about it all and made sure I got stuff as soon as it came out.

Consequently,

- She had the first set of production Kings Springs in Australia for an SP23,
- She had the first set of Lovells in WA (we swapped them, just to try them out and because she wanted to go a bit lower)
- One of the first production Whiteline strut braces in Australia, first in WA.
- Whiteline strut braces F+R out of the first production batch in Australia.
- Solid rear engine mount from the USA, first that we knew of in Australia to do so (to stop axle tramp on launch).
- K&N Typhoon intake was a 2 month wait as there were none in stock and none produced as yet, and X-Force cat-back system took 3 months to get here after we ordered it, as there were none made!
- Short shift and weighted gear knob came from the USA, as there was no one in Australia selling anything like that at the time.

USA had a lot more stuff than Aus, because the USDM Ford Focus has the same drivetrain and chassis as the Mazda3...a lot of gear was adapted for the Mazda pretty quickly after it was released.

You cant go extremely low like you can with WRXs. For a start, the floor plan is less than 100mm off the ground when you go with Lovells super lows (the Kings are a bit taller).

Also, the Lovell's tend to rub the coils together too, so you'll need to fit spring wraps if you can't handle the sound.

If you go too low, the swaybar links are on a weird angle, and you risk snapping them....you'll need to get some links, which I'm sure Whiteline have released now (we haven't got any yet, but so far so good...if they break we'll replace them )

Low springs (as opposed to super lows) don't have any of these issues.

Last edited by BALISTC; 29-12-2007 at 03:54 PM.